I'm seeing fewer compressors on pedal boards lately.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Feb 28, 2019.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Well... I don't use distortion because they make my tone too distorted :D

DugT likes this.
  2. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:lol:

3. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted

I don't need a compression pedal with my Gibson Falcon that's for sure. Other amps may differ but I just don't bother putting one in the chain.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

I'll never remove mine from my board, mooer Yellow Comp, first pedal after Guitar->wah, just makes everything sound even and more polished, more oomph too.

YMMV

GDR

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for using the neglected but correct word fewer.

I really wouldn't be without my Wampler Ego comp. Even used for subtle compression it sweetens and keeps things really tidy. I find it especially good for staggered pole single coils which can have uneven string volumes.

I do play without it (eg through my Yamaha THC 10) but it's a great unit that always helps overall presentation.

6. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

They have all....blended away.....

7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I agree, i love the little Mooer.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

That is one that I have pondered. Hard to find now. I even asked Peter Rutter about it and he didn't think he had any circuit boards left.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Lies&Distortion

Damn you! ;)
    Checked Reverb after posting comment. One on the way now...

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i use it only when go funk'in with friends.othewise stays home

11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I had one but I couldn't hear nothing when it was running, I think it was a craftsman 2.5hp. Some folks said it improved my tone, but I think they was just bein hurtful..

John Owen and lineboat like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The White Horse is not for the beginner compressor user. It is quite complex, but oh so nice. You can find them used, but beware of the different revisions. Peter has a description of the revisions on one of his websites. He is very busy with various projects and family, but I cannot imagine him not building these again someday along with a list of other genius pedals of his.

13. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Part one of an eight part series on how compressors work. Probably the best explanation I've seen on the subject. You will learn the effect of adjusting the various knobs on all your compressor pedals.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Just curious... what settings do you have the Mooer at? I use mine mainly for the same reasons but feel like I could use a little more "ooomph". I have my compression set very light at the 9 o'clock position. EQ at 12 o'clock and volume at unity. I also started playing in a fuller band situation and wondering if the compressor can help me cut through the mix better.

15. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

I have a Rothwell Love Squeeze. Recently I've been experimenting with removing it from the board. It does thicken the tone a bit, in addition to reigning in the dynamics, but I don't really want that with my 5E3.

16. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

EQ neutral at 12 o'clock position. Compression and volume both set to 11 o'clock. First pedal in the chain after the wah.

dombar335 likes this.
  17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

To be contrary...I absolutely love compressors, when i feel their effect more than hear it. I use either the Ross Gray style in my Route 66 pedal (original edition) or the CS9 compressors in my 2 Ibanez multi effect things...very little squish, a whole let of leveling, still maintain touch dynamics

18. Lies&Distortion

I ain't scared :)

Obsessed likes this.
  19. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I've been playing around with my MXR Dyna Comp lately ("little red") and generally set it with the Sensitivity around 9 O'clock and the Output around 3 O'clock. It adds a little sustain but mainly squashes/smooths the occasional peaks in my signal. Not very noticable at bedroom levels but more apparent with more amp output. I like it with my telecaster or strat, especially with some gain pedals downstream.

20. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I love compressors.

For me, unless the board is really small (like 3 or so pedals), I'll always have a compressor on my board. On a big Pedaltrain Pro I'll even have two flavors.

My favorite right now is the XTS Fermata. It's optical based, but it's a really tweaked out comp and it can be dialed to exactly what I want at any time.

I used to prefer either BOSS type compression, or MXR/ROSS type compression, but this is the first optical comp I've liked. It can squash for some 80s/90s country, or it can be a very subtle enhancing effect. Your choice. I definitely feel it works just as good with humbuckers and P-90s too, which was new for me as previously I've only liked compressors with Teles and Strats. I find that the Fermata allows for more control than most compressors I've tried.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.