I'm seeing fewer compressors on pedal boards lately.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Probably because some need an electrical engineering degree to understand and they have minimal effect on sound (compared to delay or flange, for example).

Somebody accurately pointed out chorus pedals....if I have a Dyna Comp in one hand and a Walrus Audio Julia in the other, the choice is easy.

noah330 likes this.
  2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Me too, but I would take the compressor :)

Frontier9 likes this.
  3. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

It is very dependent an the type of Comp.
    My Route 66 is on always and adds so much to my single coil sounds that I wouldn't play without it.
    I use the comp side 100% of the time and rarely use the OD side.

With The Route 66 Comp I am able to get amazingly powerful sounding clean on the edge tones without being too loud.
    My 40ish watt 1968 Bandmaster gets loud pretty fast !
    The Optical Comps I've tried left me flat.

It's OK to be different ! LOL

Portobear and schenkadere like this.
  4. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Good thread. I'm learning stuff.

noah330 likes this.
  5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I always hated 'em. But I recently got one with a blender knob, and it actually sounds great.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I have one too and its a great comp!

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

They're kind of big and noisy. How many psi do you need? Are you running a sprayer or using tools?

Sorry. I've was just watching Ask This Old House. What kind of compressors are we talking about here?

As far as GUITAR compressors go, I have three for different boards. I just use a little to smooth off the peaks. I have an old Dyna-Comp for the lap steel/Tele board, a BBE Bench Press on the ambient experimental board and a TC Hyper-Gravity for the main board that I use the most. I'm working on designing a tone print for the Rickenbacker that I can just switch to cloning a Jangle Box.

noah330 and E5RSY like this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Here’s how to approximate Gilmour on Have a Cigar. Compressor, phaser, spring reverb, Vox type amp. He uses a compressor a lot. The pics that follow show settings for each element. If you emulate them best you can with your own equipment and then tweak from there you can get pretty close. If you want to. Just fwiw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bftfender likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’ve tried to use them, and each time ended up dissatisfied with the noise and “processed” sounds when the pedal is turned up too much.

I’ve found a boost (MXR Micro Amp, specifically) does what I want more than a compressor.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yes. People have mentioned chorus, but I think a lot of compressors have been replaced with boosts.

noah330 likes this.
  11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I used the three knob Boss one for years then it got wonky so I got a Macon CP-101.

I have a few others but that’s the one I stick with.

I tend to play fairly clean so I’ll alternate between it and my Klon if I need a little more drive.

Also, live for hybrid/fingerpicking stuff in the middle or rock songs it makes it a little easier.

Never had an issue with noise.

12. stratohiker

stratohiker Tele-Meister

I've been using a Keeley GC-2 for several years now. After jumping off the Ross/Squeezer wagon (Bi-Comp) and then had an Empress after that (to complex and to much real estate).
    Esp. since I run a sweetener type setup with a low comp rate, and setup the output for a slight boost above unity. Run it pre OD/Dist too.....So, defin. have to run your gains lower on the dirt pedals with that order.
    The GC-2 is very easy to dial in quickly. Normal size pedal too.
    I must confess if they made a mini pedal like that.....I'd get it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  13. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I was joking. You could be correct though.

I prefer tubes or a light OD. Too subtle of a thing for me to chase. I do have an old Ibanez CP9 and a new Biyang CO-10. I plug them in now and then, they sound OK until I turn them off and realize they add nothing to my "sound". Then I put them away.

That's just me - not saying they are useless, but I suspect they are for many people who "dink around" on guitar like I do.

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

+1 With the tone all the way up it adds a nice sparkle and presence. Things sound flat and lifeless without it. I keep the sustain and attack down low most of the time but it's always on.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  15. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

tried one once thought it was like the emperors new clothes. I can't say it made anything sound better

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't be caught out in public without one. My VFE White Horse will be on my pedal board until I die. I basically adjust everything else and then add the icing on the cake with compression. You would probably not even know it is on, but it is part of my sound and I own it. Not using a touch of compression is crazy talk ... IMO.

17. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I use an Ego with guitar and a Markbass Compressore with my bass. They are always on. I also like the Philosophers Tone & the Xotic SP.

18. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I got a Calvin Compressor from Westminster Effects. Love it. It helps control overall volume while keeping tone and allows me to move between single coil and humbucker guitars with outs radical volume changes

19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I could never bond with a compressor pedal. I always felt like the dynamics of playing disappeared, which I think is a fair expectation of the compressor.

Just not my cup of tea...

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

pic makes feel like buying pedals now..lots of them..havnt used em since the ender amp days,,

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.