I'm seeing fewer compressors on pedal boards lately.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Feb 28, 2019.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Will you ask her for me if a series of short peeks is OK?

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I got one as part of a package deal and don’t use it often, but I have played around with it a little.

I’ve tried it as sort of an OD for cleans. I can get more sustain, and mimick the compression from overdriven tubes without the crunch.
    I can get a similar effect by using an OD pedal with the drive rolled back and using my guitar volume...

I plan to learn how to chickin’ pick one day and hope it will come in a little more handy then. It’s not going anywhere in the meantime!

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Perhaps the whole "compressor" thing is a myth and they are unnecessary in real life.
    Unless, of course, you're looking for that blatant "country" DynaComp "squash".

D_Malone likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

They're not for everyone of for every style. They DO get in the way of picking dynamics - intentional and unintentional. At extreme settings compression is an effect which has its place - funk and some country, mostly. If you don't want that sound, then it's as annoying as any effect you don't want. At lighter settings it helps a player to achieve a smoother more evenly picked sound that may not be your thing either. It helps me a ton when I'm trying to cop a pedal steel tone, but if I'm playing some rockabilly thing on my hollowbody there is no point to it.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Don't you mean peaks? We're talking about compressors after all...

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have an Ego Compressor but it's off the board for me, too. One decent application for me is to use it instead of a second OD pedal for when I want
    to play a creamy, sustainy lead. Then turn it off when going back to chords. But overall I generally prefer the natural dynamics I get from just playing
    without one. And I play funk rhythm a lot....As per JustABluesGuy, I think I get enough compression already from my tube amp.

That said, as part of mastering a little compression often helps. So recording can be different than live, for sure. But for me that's usually done post-recording,
    not while laying down the track.

7. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:D

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

well, a small amp driven hard will compress naturally -- that's the beauty of it -- and you may not need a compressor if that's already happening. I use one for two purposes: to even things out & get some sustain when I'm playing slide, and to push the front end of the amp and make it respond like a distorted amp but with a clean sound. I'm using a Cali 76 at 18v and it make a nice boost to hit the front end of the amp with. it's a cool pedal. not crazy subtle the way I use it.

10. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I've got the EQD Warden optical on my board. I don't leave it on for everything, but I love what it does for my dirt chain. It's a subtle difference, but I get a lot of extra sustain and bleed.

Also, I've watched some videos where people use multiple comps to smash their tone for a sort of George Harrison's dirty sound. I've never tried it. Is that worth doing?

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Got a good deal on a Keely+ and picked it up. For a pedal compressor it does everything I would want (I particularly like the blend feature) but I honestly almost never use it. It does help even the dynamics of finger picking and arpeggios but honestly no amount of compression can compensate for my sloppy playing technique. Like others posters, I prefer to use a combination of boost and/or extremely low gain OD which naturally compresses the guitar signal. I do keep the pedal because it is very nice and I may figure out how to better use it in the future!

12. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

My compressor is a Big Muff. It distorts a bit, but the sustain is unbeatable :)

NewKid and blues bondsman like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think too many of the complaints are if you're using the Ross/Dynacomp style.. other styles may be more beneficial depending on what you're trying to do.

I have the Orange one, it is an optical compressor. It will not necessarily do a great job of the country effect, and I can't really play funk anything, although it does seem like it does what it needs to for funk.

But the way it adjusts there is a large amount of adjustment range where you can even out things and yet still have the ability to use dynamics. There are lots of different interesting things that can be done with it. David Gilmour type sounds for example. I think the range of compression + the ability to separately control the attack and release times are key... if you do a slow release and a relatively quick attack that can be extremely different than the reverse. My guess is the country effect with the Ross type compressors is a pretty fast selection for both attack & release since you typically don't get control of them.

edit: I'd also wonder if the compression is stacking up with the compression of the amp or other effects... if you have the amp turned up to the point it compresses, and you throw on a drive pedal that compresses, then you throw the compressor on as well... no more dynamics available?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hope so!
    I am deeply prejudiced against compressors.
    You might ask, “Why BB, what did a compressor ever do to you?”
    Well, they squish my notes!
    I hate that!
    So there!;):confused::)

E5RSY and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Well they are quite limiting

Piotr, zippofan, MrGibbly and 2 others like this.
  16. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

My dad is a heck of a chicken picker. He bought a comp pedal one day because someone told him he needed one lol. I asked him how he set his one day and his response was "hell I don't know! I put it on the board the way I got it and haven't touched it since. Don't even know what its supposed to do." So I followed Dads example lol

Piotr and nojazzhere like this.
  17. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

There's some truth to this. I like some subtle compression when I'm playing at home. With the band I don't find it necessary at all. I've owned a few compressors and they've never ended up on my pedal board.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use a compressor for a few numbers. With chorus usually and being a CS3 I have a tone control which I max and that can give a really nice, bright jangle, even from a Les Paul. Can save a guitar swap.

19. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

Compressors are like fondue pots.

You think everyone has one. You think it's going to be a whole lot of fun. Some people swear by them, but most people use them once or twice, shrug the shoulders and put them in a closet somewhere.

20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Mine has been on my bored in one form or another since about 1990. Maybe it's a style thing.

What's replacing them, chorus?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.