I'm Roger. I am new here. Iposed to tell you all about my gear and I.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Roger66, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Roger66

Roger66 Tele-Meister

Here goes: I am Roger, 54, guitar, bass and keys. My best band was 'Marble'. Album: 'Starlite Storage' 2001. There are some freebies online if you look it up online.
    I live in Ventura County now, used to live in the SF bay area and was raised in Chicago, where I had a decent band at 13. I gave lessons too. Married once, Widowed once.
    Anyway, I like old gear and hate transistors. I build, fix and modify tube amps, and fix and modify guitars and tune pianos. Trained in Music theory, I can read and write music. My influences include Zappa, Crimson, Yes, Zep, Floyd, Who, Rush, Allman Bros, and early '90's grunge.
    My gear includes an old tele #5291 bought from Seymour D, supposedly modified for Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop album. A Mexi tele with a hipshot B bender and D dropper with Dave Allen pups and a pull pot for out of phase ops, 83 walnut strat gold elite with 3 pickup switches for on/off/out of phase with 3 vol. Controls for SD SS1 and 2-SS6's, EC Blackie modded to a Gilmour Blackie with EMG DG-20's, secret switch (activates neck pup) and short trem. bar, 1966 fender 12, fender j-bass with Dave Allens and out of phase pull pot. Ricky 4003, Ricky 620 w/ out of phase pull pot, 1976 SG w/ out of phase and series/parallel pull pots, 2011 Les Paul Supreme w/oop pull pot. (Hard to install due to no back access plate, lol) cheapo Dani 12, Cordoba nylon string, little Martin 3/4 size, and a early 60's Guyatone steel guitar (but it's wood) and probably some others I forgot about.
    I'm not too into effects, but I use a EH tube English Muffin, and an EH Electric Mistress, a fulltone tube tape echo, a fender reverb unit (the big tweed one) and a strymon orbit flanger I rarely use for things like Barracuda, Keep Yourself Alive and stuff like that, a late 60's champ I put 2 more 12AX7's in for more gain plus a filament transformer wired DC, a real 1965 fender twin reverb, a marshall JTM-45 Hendrix 100W reissue (with the bass cab on bottom) a 70's JMP heavily modded with 2 extra 12AX7's and a tube reverb out of a hammond organ and aux. filament transformer to handle the extra 4 tubes, a couple of traynor YBA 1's, a traynor 9-8" cab, an old slant cab with greenbacks, and a full stereo monster I built from 2 peavey roadmaster chassis and 4 peavey transformers, using marshall, fender and vox circuits, with 2 buffered effects loops and a fender reverb on each side. This monster has all silver mica caps except for the power supplies, 8-6550 and 11-12AX7 tubes. It's basically 2 amps in one big, heavy head. It sounds like those garnet amps Randy Bachman used. I am sure that I forgot someone in there too.
    So I am serious about my tone. I still need an old vox AC-30 top boost, and a wah pedal. I am looking for another SG and LP.
    Well, they asked me to say what I had.
    What else? Lets see... I'm almost healed from a shattered femur I had the good sense to break Jan. 2020, right before the covid lockdown. So I have done nothing but practice for the past 18 months. I'm not rich and I worked very hard for everything I have, but I cannot leave anything alone without modifying it, except for the old tele and the fender 12.
    Oh yeah, keyboards. I have an old cheap korg poly 800, a kurzweil PC-88 and a samick baby grand. I hate the painkillers and am almost, finally off them. I used to drink and smoke alot, but I quit the cigs, and drink maybe once a month. I'm easy going and down to earth and I like fixing stuff for my friends for free. Cars, household stuff like plumbing, electrical, holes in walls, etc. I am heavy into woodworking and making little boxes out of brass copper or silver that no one except for me can open. I am a prankster, way into science, not religious, Irish, Scottish and German. I am a Mopar man at heart, but currently drive a 72 Coupe deVille with a 472. I used to be a sign maker before it all got digital. I hate digital stuff.
    That's about it, well at least a good start. I dont want to write a novel here. That's me. I like being wrong because then I learn something. I have 2 cats and I raise Monarch butterflies. I live Comedy.
    I hope to share my ideas and jokes, and learn some more from this forum if I remember what it is called.
    I look forward to meeting you all.

2. Roger66

Roger66 Tele-Meister

Thanks, Guys, I'm glad to be here. I'm thinking of modding the fender 12 so it has 2 volumes so I can control the out of phase sound. Who needs the tone control anyway. Any thoughts?

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Welcome.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! Sounds like you've got a great gear collection.

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the gang
    As for your question about 2 volumes, I had a strat with Dan Armstrong wiring. I don't know if that scheme could be adapted to your application but I'm sure others here would.

6. Nick-O

Nick-O Tele-Meister

Great sounding gear....welcome!

I'd say we need pictures, but that might take some doing with that stash!!

7. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard!

8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi Roger. Welcome.

9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

We're funny like that here, but maybe you could start the pics with Tele #5291?

Oh, and welcome!

11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi Roger.

12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to TDPRI :)

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome! Sounds like you’ll enjoy hanging around here.
    I don’t have any useful ideas for that Fender 12 - but there’s one or two purists around here who might beg you to leave it alone. Your guitar, your choice.
    But we do appreciate photos - of everything!

14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome! Enjoy!

15. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Holic

Hey Roger! Welcome!!

16. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I used to live on Wendy Drive. You ever get over to Larrivee? They’re right next door to you. Oh, welcome:).

17. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Good morning Roger, and welcome.

I have some old keyboards myself.
    An elderly Roland D-20, and a similar vintage (late 1980's) Yamaha PSR-400.
    They both work like a champ.

I had a friend in Junior High who was from Oxnard, just north of you.
    Can't remember his name, but it'll come to me.

:)

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

What's up?

19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold! We need guitar pics to validate your membership.

Sb

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.