I'm Really Liking Spotify

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 3, 2019.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

As compared to what we used to spend on records and CDs in the 90's it's a big savings, probably a few hundred bucks a month. And that was mostly on buying and trading used CDs. I'm glad I no longer have to buy a $20 CD to get 1 good track plus 8 to 10 tracks of bad filler tracks.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

The sound quality is not as good as it could / should be. Some of the songs we have streamed have been way over-compressed and sound awful.

There are a handful of songs we have not been able to find.

My wife will say "I want to hear Gimme Shelter, but not the studio version." Then she will search for a bootleg version - of course it's not there. Then she searches for live release versions, but she can only find the studio version.

With a lot of stuff, she cannot find the version she wants; a lot of Mott the Hoople is only live versions, and not the studio versions. Odd.

Our new car does not have a CD player. She fires up Spotify, and starts her playlist. This means every time we get in the car, I hear the same 5 or 6 songs. That makes me insane - I cannot listen to the same thing over and over. Her new car has a Bose system, so some of the over-compressed recordings sound really bad.

I guess this means I am not a fan. I understand that there are limits to what they store for playback, but for some reason, the stuff we want to hear is often not there.

3. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Both I and my stepson recently bought brand new cars. Both cars were loaded with just about every feature you could want . . . except a CD player, which wasn't even an option. So I came to Spotify in a roundabout way. I originally thought I'd load all of my CDs into my phone, but jeez louise that would have been a tremendous time-suck. I like Spotify. It ain't perfect, but it's a two steps above good enough.

Georox likes this.
  4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Between Spotify and XM/Sirius, I’ve learned about and followed so many new bands. It’s not perfect, but it’s diversified my listening experience.

No, the artists aren’t making a bunch of money off streaming, but it’s more than they would have made had I never heard of them. Not to mention ensuing ticket and merch sales they’ve made since I started listening to to them.

bgmacaw likes this.
  5. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Oooh won plus I have for free Spotify is when I play it in the car and advertises come on I can mute it on the car stereo and skip the adds.

Gives me time to work out where the hell I'm going before I get into the tune.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

6. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I was surprised to learn the fidelity is even worse than MP3. Doesn't interest me in the least.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My wife does the same thing with her playlist. It's also mostly EDM and other stuff I don't care for so I mostly mentally block it.

On finding live recordings and other rarities, try YouTube. I like to rip concerts to MP3 and put them on a USB stick for long trips. For my regular commute, I listen to Sirius XM, usually Bluesville or Outlaw Country.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Attention : the music business has changed !

The “ed” on the end of the word “change” means its already happened.

It changed in the 60’s , def changed in the 80’s during the video era, and now its changed again .*

If an artist still owns their music they don’t have to be on any of these streaming services.

And while online and streaming services are only significant sources of income for larger acts/artists , they are important forms of promotion for lesser-known acts.

The money NOW is in merch and touring.

The most important forms of promotion for live shows are YouTube and streaming services.

How do I use Spotify?

I get three or four music mags a month, still search out interesting new artists and keep up with all the rereleases .

When I’m reading about some acclaimed new artist in an article , I have Spotify on so I can hear what they are all about at the same time.

*I know there are plenty of artists and acts that would tell you for a hell of a lot of them, the good old days weren’t the good old days.

Crap record deals where the biggest act on the planet was making less than a dollar a record, as well as ridiculous promotion and recording budgets that meant most artists were in the hole monetarily all the time.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm aware that the industry has changed and a lot of artists prefer the new system of promoting themselves and not relying so much on record contracts etc. Most of what I listen to or look out is probably not on spotify anyway. The few guys I follow upload on to YouTube and regularly update Instagram which is linked to other sites like Facebook, twitter etc. I like to purchase cd's through their websites or on ebay. I still haven't ever downloaded anything. As far as the mainstream older stuff I like goes I just buy the records or cd's off ebay.

10. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Your check (for 19 cents) is in the mail...

Telecaster88 and Torren61 like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I do own my music (I think. I've certainly never sold the rights to anyone)
    And yet, I've no idea how it found it's way to Spotify

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

That is frightening. Unless some ex-band-mate sold it to Spotify, how did it ever get up there? Are they really buying CDs, ripping them, and streaming them with no compensation for the owner? One would think that is not legal.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cease and desist letter !

bender66 likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We chose a service as a family. That's partly why I voted for Apple Music. While my kids just liked it, my homework left me feeling it was better for an artist than Spotify.

To the user or listener, they are both good. Many I work with have Spotify subscriptions, some the same Apple one we have, and one pal does YouTube's subscrption as his music source too.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Do you have a distribution deal with CD Baby or a similar service?

It's also not unheard of for people to rip original tracks, maybe make a few mods to them, and distribute them as their own.

16. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

most if not all of the worlds music for free! what is not to like?

Torren61 likes this.
  17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I stream Pandora (free) a lot but forgot about Spotify (also the free version) and found some cool playlists I had there!

Capture.JPG

18. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I've used the premium service for years. Its a great way to learn about new music and revisit bands from the past as well. I also listen to several podcasts through it. Most of the older music I that stream I own/ have owned a physical copy of some time in the past so I've already purchased it in that regard. I love to read articles in guitar magazines on bands I am not familiar with and then check them out on Spotify. Its a great service.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd like it more if they actually paid the people whose music they are making money from.

Telecaster88 and Skub like this.
  20. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Man I'd have to look into that. I'd want to know how and why your music is on there without your prior knowledge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.