I'm Really Liking Spotify

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I am liking Spotify. I know I have a monthly fee but I listen to a lot of music and podcasts.

I think my first music purchase was Queen's "A Night At The Opera"on 8-Track when I was 13. My dad had a 1974 Galaxy 500. A four door land yacht. I figured out that I could put the tape in the car stereo (Craig AM/FM 8-Track AND CB radio combination with Jensen Coaxials in the rear window deck) and pull out the hazard switch nanometers at a time and find a "sweet spot" that somehow jumped the electronics in the car and made the Craig audio unit work. I wore out that Queen 8-Track.

When I listened to music on the radio, I was listening for a band that made me want to dig deeper into their catalog. "We didn't have the internet.", so I just bought single 45 records and eventually bought albums and then cassettes and I made my own cassette tape mixes until CDs came along. Then I bought CDs and gave away or sold my record collection. I had a LOT of LPs. I listened to CDs until Mp3s caught up but now I listen to Spotify.

I can hear of a band or performer and check them out. All their music. I love going back to someone's first or second record and hearing what it was about them that made others take notice.

I've found SO many new bands by hearing a song, catching it on SoundHound and finding it on Spotify. My playlist is called "ME" and I have a huge collection of artists and the best thing is that nearly every song in my playlist is good "to me".

Thanks to whomever it was that posted about Larkin Poe. I never heard of them until you posted that YouTube. I've listened to their entire catalog at least twice and some songs (Freedom, Look Away) get listened to more than once or twice. I discovered Gary Clark Jr. about a year ago. I don't know how i missed these folks earlier but i'm glad I know them now.

I also like that I can download just one song from someone if that's the only song I like from them instead of buying an entire album and finding out that you really only liked that one song.

Anyway, I'm liking Spotify.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was surprised to find one of my bands on Spotify.
    And, I wonder who's getting paid. It surely isn't me, despite having written sang and guitarded all the songs

3. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

download? isnt it a streaming service?

Torren61 likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Spotify is fantastic for music lovers, but it does have some big problems. We are in a golden age of being able to listen to not-so-famous artists from all over anywhere. I just wish there was a way to pay double the monthly fee so that artists got extra dough, though. It's surely worth twice as much to me as I pay for it. I am also real skeptical about the "playlists" they promote. Apparently a lot of the tunes are just made by computer software so Spotify can get around paying artists at all? Maybe that's not true, I dunno. I have other gripes but them's the main ones. They've got me hooked that's for sure.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I've been splitting time between Spotify and Pandora (both free versions). Spotify seems better if I want to listen to an artist, Pandora's better if I want to listen to a genre "seeded" with an artist.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's a streaming service but with the premium version you can download stuff to listen offline. You have to reconnect periodically so they can check on you, if you cancel the service they wipe the music.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

What he said ^^^

8. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have no idea what spotify or pandora is, but I can rebuild a Quadrajet.... ;)

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I still like buying cd's or records. I cant get my head around paying subscriptions where the artist gets pennies and I don't get a hard copy or cool album cover for my money.
    Signing in with passwords and providing personal information for everything I do also does my head in. Do they really need to know my date of birth, contact details and home address for me to buy a record or song?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Well, that's sweet music right there.

rz350 likes this.
  11. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been a paid subscriber of Spotify for the past seven years. Love it.. worth the monthly nominal fee.

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Never tried it, but I'm a Slacker (now LiveXLive) user. Best thing has been caching, whole albums, playlists, whatever. On the beach, no signal, I've got Exile on Main St.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Most local artists in the areas i play have a bandcamp as well, most will have their releases for sale there for a set fee or pay what you want. For local and small artists I buy a bit from bandcamp as well as listen on spotify.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer Tele-Meister

Skærmbillede 2019-09-04 kl. 08.01.06.png

Some of my earnings on Spotify plays from June 2019.

But don't mind me. I don't rely on my music for income. But professionel artists can't earn a living out of streaming - even if the payout doubled.

EllroyJames, Flaneur, Skub and 4 others like this.
  15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I only use it free to check out stuff.

Their browse discovery feature often has something I like. I’ve discovered more music I like through this than any other resource in all honesty. And I pay them zero money.

I just then buy a CD if I really like it or just the odd track (most often) through iTunes and rip them at a high rate and use my iPod classic

16. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

O agree with @rze99.

Have a free listen but then buy a CD to support the artists.

Anyone compared Deezer to Spotify? Free and paid?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

GuitarPlayerFL likes this.
  17. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

This is why I have NEVER listened to Spotify. IMHO if you really care about musicians and the music they make then don't subsidize a parasite business like Spotify. I have the same approach to Amazon & Uber. I don't "vote" for companies with my $ that have unfair business models. YMMV but that's how I roll.

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Jeeeez... that’s a pittance.

I’m so glad I don’t try to earn my living through music (and haven’t for decades). When I was trying to make it I was utterly penniless. Now I’d be destitute.

SustainerPlayer likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I do too, but in all honesty I do it less than I used to. It's changed my listening habits as well. I listen to a much larger "pool" of music, both more artists and a bigger selection of their work, than if I had to buy everything I listen to. This week I've been getting into the more recent Lucinda Williams catalog as opposed to listening YET AGAIN to Car Wheels and Sweet Old World. Just one example, who knows what I'll spin up next week. As far as the subscription fees, the service has a free version. What you pay for are no ads, higher quality streaming, and the ability to listen when offline such as on an airplane. In any case the monthly fee to have a gigantic amount of music with instant access on tap is less than what I pay for a sandwich (I work in NYC).

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Hard to get myspace or limewire working nowadays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.