I'm Putting A New Alternator On My Van Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rz350, Mar 8, 2016.

1. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

'06 Town and Country, 3.8, 149K miles, the decoupler pulley is shot and rattles like a Diesel, I bought a rebuilt alternator from a reputable shop because if I didn't, when I pulled the old one I would then find that the front bearing was shot,and the brushes were on their last leg!!

New belt, tensioner and idler going on too, this is the first thing I've had to do to this van, it's actually been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned.

3.8 ain't my favorite engine, but it's reliable as a horseshoe, and as long as I keep oil in it, it keeps living! Uses about a quart every 2000 miles, I run Mobil 1 super synth in it and change it every 15K (yes 15K), I send the oil into Blackstone labs and it always comes back as a non-issue, I believe it's pulling oil past the intake valve seals/guides....

41TE transmission has been flawless, nothing like the A604 in the old stuff, I beat the snot outta this van daily, and so far, no issues...

Next van will have a 3.6 Pentastar....

I'm just testing the new forum software, first post on it.... ;)

Next post might be about a 454 Chevy, or a FZ-09 Yamaha!! ;)

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

454 Chevy. I was at the car show last week, and in the "classics" section they had a 454 Chevelle - maybe about a 74 or so?. A lot of engine in that car, and very small brakes. Lots of go, not enough slow!

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have the choice of getting it rebuilt quickly instead of buying a rebuild from the parts store and trading in the core?

4. rz350

I could rebuild it myself, the cost of a rebuilt alternator was only $27 more then I would have to pay for parts. there was no core charge for the alternator that I bought, so I rebuild the old one when I get a chance and when I find cheap parts. :)

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The reason that I would rebuild is to avoid a Chinese rebuilt unit and to always have the OEM on the auto. It's not always possible, because an alternator failure can happen suddenly and leave you stranded or at least in urgent need of getting it fixed. I had a sudden failure on a Ford F-150 hunting rig and bought a rebuild from NAPA on a Sunday because I was way off from home and had to change it to drive it. I don't believe it was good as the OEM and maybe not even the right series. The manufacturers can change OEM parts suppliers from one year to the next and even use a slightly different part to replace one they deemed inferior. It can be a slippery task to locate the exact replacement on some rigs. Thus, a rebuild offers a small advantage in some instances, and that is why I asked.

6. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

a good parts man and a lifetime warranty at a NAPA has been my favored route for several years. There are ways he can find rebuilt OEM as opposed to rebuilt asian source or even asian new and I trust him and havent been sorry. My commuter has 240K on it and is working out it's fourth starter but I only paid for 2, the one that came with it and the first NAPA lifetime. Without my trusted parts counter guy, I would be a pressin bearings too,

7. rz350

This one was a rebuilt Denso original part, with quality parts used to rebuild.

Decoupler pulley was shot on my old one, just put on the new alternator, belt, tensioner and idler pulley, the old stuff (except the alternator) was in surprisingly good shape for 10 years & 150,000 miles of use.

Pulley would move about 20 degrees either direction, and slip with torque applied in the driving direction, it's supposed to be a one way clutch- This one was a three way!! ;)

Gonna pull it apart and see what the brushes and slip rings look like....

Attached Files:

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I run my amps and pedalboard from a Ford truck alternator ... plus the house, the cabin, the refrigerator/freezer, ceiling fan, computers, VCR/Blue Ray, etc. Most of the time when an alternator fails it is because the $35 brush/spring kit needs to be replaced that takes an hour or so to do. Depending on specific model alternators, the rear or front $5 bearings need to be replaced which takes a little longer, but not difficult. Mine runs 24/7 on a micro hydro and goes a couple years between servicing.

9. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Do you have a windmill or something? I'd love to see your setup.

10. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I wanna hear about this setup, too-it sounds fascinating.

11. Obsessed

I built my own micro hydro system 19 years ago along our creek. It sits on top of an antique washing machine and then I added a S.S. salad bowl that I flipped upside down and then mounted the alternator. I made nozzles from sprinkler heads that shoot water at a bronze pelton wheel that replaces the fan belt pulley on the alternator. At 40' feet of head and 50 gpm, it produces 100 watts per hour 24/7. I have the most expensive, efficient 12 VDC refrigerator/freezer made, but that is the main use of electricity. My main issue is guitar amp use, so I'm using a Champ 12 6L6 at 53 watts per hour as my main amp, but I can only use it more than an hour from March to September. Winter time is pretty much acoustic and I have to let my wife the bass player have some practice time too.
    Most of the pics are pre digital. I'll check with my wife to get a pic or go down and take one.

12. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a 3.6 Pentastar in my Jeep...you will like it.

13. Obsessed

Sorry, this took so long. I turned off the hydro today to do more wiring on the new house and remembered to take some pics: Hydro House 3:16.jpg Hydro Open 3:16.jpg Hydro Open 3:16.jpg

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is the 3.8 the Buick V6? If so, they were probably the most common engine in Australia for a decade.

I left a belt tensioner to deteriorate for too long and it very nearly caught fire. The bearing was red hot and the guts of it were GONE!

Replace as soon as they start whirring.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Used to be, an alt or a generator was easy enough to replace (45 minutes), you could rebuild them and get good then really good at doing rebuilds. Most of the vehicles I have now, you find the absolute best replacement you can because the r + r takes a whole day ( or more ) and really beats you up. You'd be insane to put something in there that wasn't the finest you could find.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.