I'm Proclaiming this as an Official Twang Machine

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Platefire, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I'm a Classic old school guy enjoying Classic Tones. My ground "0" sound is Deluxe reverb amp with a touch of reverb and a slap back delay. All other coloring I do with pedals.

I know, I know when you see this photo your going to say "cheap Toy", "Beginner Guitar", "Junk" or whatever terminology but I find I can get all my classic sounding guitar tones from this basically stock Epi Special I. My first experience with P-90's and I'm beginning to think I like the twang from this stock bridge pu better than my teles. It's got a bigger deeper twang that is very pleasing to my ears through the DR I'm using---still with enough bite and treble to be very authentic twang. Just an Awesome Classic clean tone combination. The neck pu is also equally impressive with mellower jazzy tones and with both pu's switched on a good combination of both. I've been playing this ax/rig the last month and must say I'm very pleased!

Aside from the Twang factor, a few other things I like about this ax:

1-The weight is very light and feels great on these 70 year old shoulders. I literally never notice any weight pulling on my shoulder no matter how long I play.

2-I love the simplicity of the UN-cluttered appearance. Very simple and to the point. Was thinking of putting a pick-guard on it but, like it too much as is.

3-I find the neck fits my hand very well. The finish offers no hand resistance on the back of the neck. Once I set the bridge action height it's been game on! ever since. The neck was set straight when I got it and as well as it's performing, seen no need to adjust it.

4-It stays in tune very well and as good or better that my higher end axes. You can bend the strings to the extreme and not have to worry about things getting out of whack in the middle of a song. Of course I have added Gotch classic Keystone tuners.

5-the volume control is located in the perfect position for convenient volume swells with your pinky. I like volume swells in the right places. I did change the knobs to top hat type over the original speed knob because the smaller diameter applied a little better response to the vol swells.

6-Historic features: TV-Yellow finish, Wrap around bridge, P-90 pickups and LP Jr. type slab body are all historic Epi/Gibson features that I've never had before that I got in a single ax all at one time.

So in conclusion in my 54 years of guitar playing IMHO this has to be one of the best all time value pack budget guitars to date. It's got a special twang voice that got me smiling. It may not be for everybody, but it is for me! Platefire
    IMG_20180413_151431.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

I've always thought that this is one of the best looking classic Gibson designs around. As a fret-replacing guy I love unbound fingerboards. Those two studs only bridges always seem to sound good (Paul Reed Smith agrees with this.)

There is no need to apologize when you find a guitar that gets the job done!

6stringcowboy and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Platefire

Hay Thanks Philosofriend

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

If it is another guitar that I buy, it will probably be one of those. You just raised my GAS level a whole notch and it's all your fault.;):lol:

Ricky D. likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Platefire, I like what you like. The guitar's not really for me. The hum from P90's would drive me mad, but I'm always happy for someone who finds that just right guitar for him. Enjoy it. We all have our own sound and play our own music, even when we're covering someone else's. The right guitar makes it all so much more enjoyable. Good for you.

6. Platefire

Thanks! I really haven't noticed the P-90 hum. That may be because I don't really crank my amps up very much. I'm pretty sensitive to amp noise, so I can say it hasn't been a problem so far. Even with my OD's kicked in, no real noise issues.
    The only problem I've encountered is neck dive. I had a wide Swade leather strap and that cured that. So everything is good presently.

I sniffed this one out for a couple of years looking for a cheap deal until the Gas became intolarable, so Obsessed, I pass the Gas Baton off to you. Platefire

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Obsessed likes this.
  7. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

I have one just like that except I have some old Bill Lawrence pickups in it.

8. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have some Kalamazoo Epi solidbodies (Olympic & Coronet) with the stud bridge/tailpiece setup. Awesome guitars. My definition of an official twang machine requires a steel T-style bridge plate, though.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine had great tone and played well after a setup. The only problems were tolerable, but imprecise, tuners and lousy threading and machining on the studs. Also, the neck on mine had a definite V-profile from nut to heel, despite the factory spec.

10. Platefire

Playforfun

Being a fellow Louisianan, I had to find out where Luna was at. Your about 80 miles away. I'm in Many.
    I kept waiting for GC in Shreveport to get the Epi Special l's in and during that time(late 2017 and early 2018) they never had any! I was wanting to lay hands on one before I bought one but I just finally gave up and ordered one from Musicians Friend. Now every time I go in there, they have them. However they are always the red or black and I was definitely wanting the TV Yellow.

You have to understand, I'm kind of old and in the 50's cheap guitars were just unplayable. The action was way up there and intonation was off the map. Also those 50's el-cheapos were not adjustable for set up in most cases. Now days cheap guitars are so much more adjustable, playable and workable. So if you came through the Era I was raised in, you appreciate the vast improvement in budget axes. Platefire

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I love those Epiphones! I love the design, and the P-90s are really nice. I keep passing up the opportunity to buy one for 2 reasons: 1 - I'm not getting out as much anymore and 2 - I have too many guitars as it is! My current Epi fav is an Epiphone ES-339 I got a couple of years ago. I just wish I had the talent to really appreciate it! :confused: Nice guitar there Platefire.

12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Just 2 questions:

Is it 24.75" or 25.5"?

and

Does it come in black?

13. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

6269EDA6-B780-4A4B-B491-2ED83746E70F.jpeg I got this one as new for $89 and and spiffed him up and put 8’s on him as a goof.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Nice find, Platefire.

I know you have a 5E3 or two there. How does the Special match up?

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The P-90’s are great. Rock on!

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been auditioning p-90 laden guitars for awhile now. I have never owned a P-90 and so far nothing seems to rock my boat, but with a foundation like yours, I could easily justify changing out different P-90s.

Uhh, yeah, I'm starting to feel the weight of that GAS Baton. ;)

17. Platefire

Sollipsist likes this.
  18. Platefire

idjester--I have to many axes too. My new rule is now if I get a new ax, then one has to go. Got one up one e-bay now. Platefire

19. Platefire

gitold---I do love the treatment you did to your Special. I have seen it before on another thread but your upgrades IMHO were the best cosmetic improvements I've seen. I just wondering how you did the neck position markers?? Platefire

20. Platefire

RickeyD---I presently have no 5E3's. I sold them all! I should have kept one for myself. They are certainly cool amps. I know the Special would surely worked great on one. This is the last one I built.
    Platefire
    Scott T-Deluxe 027.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.