1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm picky about loopers but want another one

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Digital Larry, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I am currently using a Pigtronix Infinity. It has a few features which to me are great and set it apart. At the same time there's a couple things not to like.
    - $499 list (!) glad I got mine for 299 used.
    - locks up at least once a day requiring me to yank the AC adapter. Apparently this is a "feature" as their support told me not to leave it powered on for too long.

Here's what I really like about it.
    - Allows me to use the two loops either as two completely separate layers to play back at the same time, or to make a two-part tune to practice over.
    - Individual loop volume knobs
    - Holds 50 pairs of loops
    - Built in application (it's stored with the firmware, so you just launch it after you connect USB)

Things I don't like about this looper:
    - aforementioned lockup
    - has a setting for # of loop storage slots vs. max loop length. Every now and then I record something that exceeds the loop length and it just stops recording and plays back immediately at that point.
    - When you unplug USB after transferring loops to the DAW, you have to power cycle it to return to normal operation

Things I haven't tried yet:
    - using loop aging
    - using varispeed

Things about this and other loopers that I don't care about one way or the other.
    - Dual/half speed and octave silliness
    - Reverse
    - MIDI sync - I thought I would care, but I've just gotten better at making loops correctly the first time
    - rhythm tracks - I'm generally capturing ideas from the guitar. I can use the DAW if I want to sync to a canned rhythm track
    - doing a lot of overdubs on a single loop. I do it sometimes, but if it turns out to be something I like and want to work on in the DAW, I tend to redo it all.
    - Stereo - although I did use that to good effect once with a synth pedal on one side

Pigtronix now makes a trimmed down version which only seems to support the two-part mode (not the individual layering mode) and only holds one pair of loops at a time.

I had a couple Digitech Jammans, got rid of both of them, and they would let you select a different loop which would start when the current one was done playing. Main thing I didn't like about those was the Windows app to transfer loops to the PC was beyond confusing.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

The Boomerang III does some of that:
    Up to 4 loops, in sync or free.
    Individual loop volumes.
    Great sound quality (stereo).

But it has no memory and no software.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Norris Vulcan

4. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

I'm not super into loopers but my favorite one i have used so far was the looper on the dl4.

Never felt the need for long loop times. Might as well play to a pre recorded track.

Thats just like my opinion or whatever, man

5. Digital Larry

6. Norris Vulcan

Yep, I think I agree. That's more of a laptop at your feet than a stompbox.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny I bid on a Pigfinity and didn't know they had "issues".
    Wanted it for the midi as I just bought a beatbuddy and would like to link them, not a lot of affordable easy to use midi loopers.

Boss seems to generally not market products that don't work properly!
    Try those?

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The new Boss RC5 and TC Ditto Plus both look promising

9. Digital Larry

Well, I'm looking for that series/parallel mode or the ability to go up/down to another loop, to happen at the end of the currently playing loop. Haven't figured out if any of the Boss loopers do that.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.