1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

i'm out of phase for an unknown reason? please help

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ben smith, Oct 28, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Assuming you have three wires from the neck pickup:
    Try reversing the neck pickup wires at the switch and ground, but leave the ground wire from the cover connected to ground.

I always ground the bridge rather than relying on the pickup screws to ground the bridge, but that's another subject.

ben smith likes this.
  2. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

yeah i'm positive reversing the neck pickup wires will work, as for earthing the bridge i know others do just for extra safety but is it really essential? there is no way the earth connection could be broken in my opinion, there is a good amount of solder on the plate it isn't going anywhere but saying that just supposing the solder failed? hmmm i might do it anyway now i think about it

3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I haven't read every post so forgive me if this has already been said.
    There is no standard for polarity between pickup brands. So unless the two pickups were purchased specifically to be a set, you simply have to wire them up and see how it sounds and if they are out of phase you reverse the wiring on one of the two.

I discovered this when making recordings to compare two brands of pickups and when you zoom in on the wave form I was surprised to see one brand always starting a note on the positive side of the wave and another brand starting the note on the negative side.

Similarly ... if you were wiring up a vintage JBL and an EV speaker, they will be out of phase with each other. JBL cones move the opposite direction from most other brands when a positive signal is applied to the positive terminal. So when mixing brands you really cannot assume polarity is standardized, it isn't.

ben smith likes this.
  4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

well i took it apart triple checked everything and nothing was wired wrong, i reversed the neck pickup wires and that did the trick, i am baffled as to why i was out of phase? maybe the factory colored the wires wrong or something because it was not my error. anyway thanks to all for the advice, i wanted to be sure everything was safe. the guitar turned out well, there is a lot to be said for these partscasters, the two tele's i have made (not bragging here) are as good if not better players than most fenders i have tried recently, they sure fret out less than all the vinteras, i have seen custom shop guitars with ass crack and shoddy workmanship, if i could choose a custom shop or build one of my own i would build one of my own any day. these northwest guitars necks are top notch when tinkered with. my friend was blown away by his new guitar...

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

To help you understand the phase thing think of a vibrating string moving 'up and down'. A guitar pickup will either interpret it as an 'up and down' or a 'down and up', which one depends on which way the magnet is facing and if the pickup coil is wound clockwise or counter-clockwise.

If you put two pickups together in a circuit ideally, you want both to have the same phase. Which means they will both interpret the string vibration the same.

If theyre not in phase you can fix this by swapping the pickup leads which go to the coil as it effectively changes what direction the coil is wrapped.

The reason out of phase has low out put is because if you mix an 'up and down' signal with the opposite then they will cancel eachother out somewhat.

And the wires were different colours because phase isnt standardised and manufactures wont be directly compatible because of this but we can still get around it.

ben smith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.