I'm not going back to the office

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 5, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think I can buy my island retreat now and work under the palm trees.

right :)

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gee, we must work in the same place. All this emphasis on being in-person, even though my team is scattered across 4 states.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My son has expressed a similar point of view. I know it sounds impossible with all that's going on, but his company has done very well since all of its employees have been working from home. They formerly worked out of a large, expensive office, but given the employees performance from home, the company is rethinking how they might operate going forward. Our world is changing at a rapid pace, and that's for sure.

drlucky, nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Commercial real estate values are going to crater even more than they already have been.

I’ve got about eight or so friends employed by Ford motor Company and every single one of them have been told that theyre working from home at least through January.

they all suspect as well that many of them will be permanently assigned to offsite and/or home employment.

They have all said that they’ve also been given the word that productivity is at an all-time high.

With literally everyone working from home.

(However “productivity” is measured during a time when no one is buying vehicles :confused:)

Ronzo, drlucky, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hear you! Being "stuck" at the office an hour a way is no fun at all.
    Change out a load of laundry. Start dinner. Load/unload the dishwasher. Move the sprinklers. Take out the trash. etc, etc, etc, etc.

The list goes on for a loooooooong time. Of little things I can do while my computer is clocking on some process.

But when I'm required to go in to the office, I come here during the clocking. And ALL of those chores have to be crammed into the few hours I'm at my house in the evening. IF I actually have time at home that night. And IF it is important enough.

Office days means staying up late every night to keep the house running. Telework days means I might get to enjoy my family a little.

My stress level is so much lower when I can actually participate in my household on a meaningful, all-day basis.

RiversQC, ale.istotle and blowtorch like this.
  6. unixfish

No, I think you're right, but managing a bar right now is probably slow as well.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've been doing a hybrid type situation for many years - I have a nice home office setup where in theory I can do whatever needs to get done. And it's very efficient, and saves me lots of time and money to work from home. But I really, really like going in to the office at least twice per week:
    1. I like seeing work friends and acquaintances
    2. Lots of casual interactions result in actual work getting done
    3. I was already overloaded with email; this is just stupid
    4. Some things just don't get done because they require scheduling a zoom meeting instead of popping by someone's desk
    5. I like to get out of the house, eat interesting lunches, occasionally run interesting errands and so forth. Gets me into a different world.

I have missed all of that more than I would have guessed, and am dreading the Fall which will be more of the same.

chris m. and ale.istotle like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it. I see ads where you can buy for nothing down, no payments for three months, long term financing for free or nearly nothing. If things don't change, the car companies will be just lending people cars until the free period is up, then they'll all be returned. (maybe?)

Mike Eskimo and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, that was me. We still haven’t reopened. Don’t know when, or if we will. It’s a very small place. With social distancing requirements, if we opened we’d be restricted to something like 12 customers. It would cost us more to be open than we could possibly ring at the register. And the new rule as of last weekend is last call at 10pm, closed by 11. There’s just no way.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Wishing you all the best, man. That's a big change to make!

Jakedog likes this.
  11. unixfish

I had plans to drive up some evening, get a beer, and introduce myself. I just did not get to it, as there was always something going on at home or in my second job. Looks like I missed the opportunity.

Maybe coffee and look at motorcycles now? :lol::lol::lol:

drlucky, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  12. Jakedog

13. Toto'sDad

And with that ladies and gentlemen, we can now understand the demise of the Floozy, and Dandy in the twenty first century. Nevermore will the boot scootin' dandy sidle up to that little floozy at the bar, and that ever popular overnight romance be fostered. Thus began the age of Skype dating. (from home)

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I eat more

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm a MS/HS teacher. We went home at the beginning of March. Weren't even allowed to enter the building except under very restricted circumstances for a couple months. Now they are saying everybody is coming back to campus at the end of August. Admin is doing tons of work over the summer to get ready: boosting ventilation, establishing guidelines and procedures, etc.. As a private school, we have smaller class sizes and more resources than many. Still, I give it 3 weeks...maybe four. The first time a 7th grader tests positive the whole thing is gonna collapse I think. Anyway, the decision to go in or not is made above my pay grade. Most of the kids, my own included, are pretty miserable at home by now.

glenlivet, nojazzhere and unixfish like this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Locally, you probably read Epic is sending 10,000 employees back to the office. Maybe with 10,000 there they can get health care where the nurse or doctor in next room knows the data from the time you just wasted.

My problem is home is where except for the crazy dog, I had peace and quiet. Now my house is my wife teaching, my college student, and two high school students.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That tells the real story of why making screen big and device water resistant has sold so many late model iPhones.

19. Toto'sDad

It's good that you can accept it, and adapt, but it's sad for me to see your world changing beyond your control. You were/are kind of an inspiration of sorts, a free spirited man who was doing exactly what he wanted in life, (which doesn't happen often). I have come to accept that one just has to adapt to what remains of the world, and some will do it graciously, even with enthusiasm. There are those who adapt, and those who just can't seem to.

20. Jakedog

I tend to be pretty realistic about this stuff. I think of it thusly-

Does it suck? Yeah.

Do I like it? I’m certainly not crazy about it.

Is there anything I can do to change it? Nope.

Will it improve if I hate it harder? Nope.

Will it make my life better if I complain about it, yell and scream about it, cuss about it, or pontificate on how unfair it is? Nope.

There are literally only two choices here:

1. I can accept it and move on. Find a new normal.

2. I can not accept it, stomp my feet and throw a fit, and be stubborn about it.

The truth is there is only one REAL option. There is nothing to be done here. It’s nobody’s fault. Nobody did this. There is no nefarious conspiracy. No dark and evil villain singling me out and ruining my life and plans. Nature took a turn. Things are different now. That’s all.

From a practical standpoint, who knows? It may even be a good thing, for me. Only time will tell.

ukepicker, stxrus, drlucky and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.