1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm not buying anymore picks this year.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitold, Sep 11, 2017.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So do you guys bring backups to concerts? Do you bring vintage ones too? Are you worried about gigging them?

nojazzhere, gitold and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Vintage picks?

I can't keep them that long :)

3. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I got to work tonight, picked my coffee cup up off the break room table, to find that one of my picks had hitch-hiked on the bottom of it to work with me. :D

Obsessed likes this.
  4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

If someone made a "thumb pick" shaped like a real thumb I'd buy one.
    Nah, it's too creepy.

5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I should swear off buying picks, but I keep adding Red Bears to my lap-of-luxury pick collection. I've bought three or four this year; I like the way they've organized their sales periods now. I have enough Blue Chip picks to last me a while (several lifetimes, the way they wear), and same for Dugains, SurfPicks, Pearse Fast Turtles, Hells, Graph-Techs, and V-picks.

It seems excessive, I know, to spend green money on picks, but it really does seem to focus my GAS attacks on something that has much less financial impact than the guitars I brought home before, and I really do like switching picks around from time to time in each of my guitars.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess I'm kinda the same way with picks as I am with stompboxes these days: I found something that works okay, and I'm done. I haven't looked for another brand or thickness for over a decade.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I use three different picks for different applications, so I have red, orange and yellow Dunlops lying around everywhere, plus Mrs. Obsessed has her Fender tortoise mediums showing up in odd places too. Found a few while cleaning the car a while back. I always have three in my wallet and one or two in my cargo shorts mini pocket.

I do end up finding GC red ones every once in awhile.:rolleyes:

And yet with all of these picks, I'm more of a finger pickin' guy these days.:lol:

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I bought about 20 Jim Dunlop picks and scattered them about my music room most have disappeared now into the bermuda triangle of lost picks

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I've been buying picks and trying different shapes. I'm no great player, but the jazz iii shape fees so good to me, also the jazz XL and the 1.4mm primeton which are just bigger jazz iii shapes. I've been floored how much more accurate they make me feel. So I'm buying those until I'm stocked

10. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

GC reds! I grab a few every time I go there and now have enough for a while.

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I still have a few picks from the 80s; I just don't use those styles/weights these days.

But, the picks I do use? I can't seem to keep them around. I don't know where they go, but it's time to buy another dozen.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't regularly used a pick in 15+ years...flesh and fingernails, baby!

When I do use a pick, it's the small 1.52mm teardrop-shaped Clayton, or the even smaller super-stiff Dunlop Jazz pickups with the sharp point...but that rarely occurs, and only for a strumming rhythm line, generally.

13. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I generally wait until about 11:45pm on Dec 31st to make such statements about not doing something again this year. Even with just a 15 minute window, it often doesn't play out that way.

14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my experience, picks made out of old credit cards don't last worth a crap.

15. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to make picks out of my credit cards and it ruined my credit rating?

AngelDeville and nojazzhere like this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I found these Herco nylon things I really like, so I bought a BIG ol' bag of 'em...and they don't wear out!
    I've been using the same 4 for maybe 6 months now!

17. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Or as my wife calls it: "The washer and dryer"... ;)

netgear69 likes this.
  18. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Who cares? Over the past two years I have made literally hundreds of picks (I get five out of a drivers license, credit card, etc.) so if they break I grab another one...

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have said that soooo many times.
    But I am my own worst enemy.
    Next thing I know, I can't seem to find "the One" pick I need so, off to the store I go and end-up buying a couple of dozen picks and start all over. :)

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Haven't bought picks in so long.....but, how many can you get for $24.95? a bunch? I use teardrop 1.00mm Claytons....in white. I started buying white 'cause I would drop the dark ones on stage and not be able to find them quickly. Since I started using white (probably 25-30 years ago) I don't think I've dropped ONE since.

BTW....at a guitar show long ago, Elixir Strings was giving away these little leather keyring pick pouches....handiest thing since the Telecaster....I'm never without a pick wherever I go. Thanks Elixir.....sorry I don't like your strings. ;)

AngelDeville likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.