I'm not a good guitar player, don't practice at all, but love playing guitar, jamming, writing songs. Anyone else?

Orpheum

Tele-Meister
[So I've been playing forever, but I'll never be a REAL guitar player. I don't practice scales or learn to play many songs, but yet, I love playing guitar.]

It's not the end of the journey that matters, it's the journey itself.
Have a good trip!

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
He was actually going to be a lawyer and was studying at Harvard. He had it in his genes however because his dad was the great Dewey Redman, who played with Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett and others.
True, although by all accounts Dad wasn't around much when he was growing up- they did get together more later on, I understand.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
nothing wrong with that.
i like the tweaking guitars DIY stuff and then test out if it sounds good.
it makes me happy and that is what counts ;-)

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
I can play well enough, when I play along to a song, or whatever. But when I try to do my own stuff it sounds like someone threw a box spanners down some stairs.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
Love playing. I can get a good jam and groove going. One time my jam buddy and I were doing our thing and our friends who stoped by were kissing and enjoying their company; can’t get much better than that! To all things guitar!

kulgion

TDPRI Member
If you practice scales and do things like everyone else, you might start to sound like everyone else.

Maybe that's a bad thing.

Perhaps you should stay unique.

Do your own thing.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
People who play well think I'm okay, people who don't play think I'm very good. I'm satisfied with where I am. After ten years of lessons and practicing for two hours a day, and having been seriously committed to this hobby for almost 30 years (not to mention playing as a kid for 7 or 8 years), I'm not going to get much better. But, who cares? I'm having more fun now than ever.

TimmyM

Tele-Meister
I’m right there with you, I’ve been playing since 1977 and while I’m not horrible, I am no where as good as I’d like to be or should be for that matter. I’ve taken lessons from some great players and have also been in quite a few bands over the years. The truth is that while I technically know what I should be playing and I can hear it all in my head, I simply lack the dexterity to move freely about the fingerboard.

On the other hand, I write songs, I play a pretty decent rhythm, I can sing pretty well, and over the years I have learned the basics of several other stringed instruments, including bass, baritone, mandolin, mandocello, bouzoukI, slide guitar, dobro, lap steel and some piano.

I also worked for a couple years at Charvel/Jackson in 84. & 85 and through that I gained a passion for working on guitars, assemble kits, and also build instruments completely from scratch, including my own necks, fingerboards and truss rods (but sometimes I buy the fingerboards and truss rods online)

all this to say that if you enjoy playing an instrument, any instrument, and it relaxes you and gives you peace, it doesn’t matter how good you are…the love of the instrument is all that matters.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
So... I have a lot of guitars, I have a lot of gear. I am an audio person by profession. I am a very limited guitarist, although I play all the time. I just won't "put in the work". Because that would make it work.

When people are getting to know me, they assume I must be very good, I say "Guitar and noises are my hobby". Which is 100% true, I do NOT work at my hobby any more than I choose to. I am however a classically trained bassist and a former professional musician and recording artist. I only ever started to play guitar to keep my hands moving, that hobby took on its own life. I love those toys!

Now relative to being a bass player - I "only" own one pair (identical) of 1992 Fender Heartfield DR basses (100% of my musical career work), one new model Jazz Ultra (OMG, it is SO GOOD) and two identical, heavily modified late model Ibanez short scale basses (because my back and shoulder are shot). So basically three instrument types. Two digital Preamps, a MarkBass Combo, Ampeg PF500 and Rumble Studio. So relative to the guitar collection, only the most basic stuff. I mention this because being a bassist does not really come with the variety of "stuff" being a guitar player does. Also, when I pick up a bass, things get serious for me. I start thinking hand position, articulation, timing, precision, where is the kick etc, etc, etc. I am still a very good bassist, and I love it, but it is a totally different head space for me.

When I go to play guitar I tell the wife "I'm gonna go make gronk noises with the sound legos". And off I go to play some weak blues riffs, sad repetitive jazz runs and that one Meshuggah riff that I really got railed back about 5 years ago. Oh, and I do this like 12 to 20 hours a week. I could be amazing if I tried even a bit.... but that would be work. :cool:

aleski

Tele-Meister

Attachments

• 7vxd.gif
    7vxd.gif
    2 MB · Views: 2