I'm Looking for a Model 26 Fender Woody Amp, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SteelPrinceton47, Apr 7, 2020.

1. SteelPrinceton47

SteelPrinceton47 TDPRI Member

Hey all, I'm a new member here hoping to find a model 26 Fender Woody amp. I had one back in the day but someone walked away with it this past year at an outdoor jam session we had. I'm a lapsteel player from Hawaii and I love to play traditional island music. I'm hoping to find another one on here soon. Please pass the word on to friends who might have one for sale. I understand these tend to be a bit pricey, but I've been lost without my amp and I'm willing to bite the bullet for a replacement. Kind regards and stay safe all.

-John

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

3. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I love the look of the Woodies. I wish cab makers would offer Woodie-style cabinets for currently-popular chassis sizes (5E3, 5F2A, 5F1). They probably wouldn’t sound as good as a narrow-panel resonant pine cab with a big-area baffle, but they sure would look cool. I liked the look of the Woodie special runs of the Pro Jr and Blues Jr that Fender did a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteelPrinceton47 likes this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear of your amp loss, John! That's really awful. A sin against the muses. Hope you can find a replacement that helps heal that wound.

And welcome to the forum. It's a fun and very helpful place, indeed. Best to you & yours.

SteelPrinceton47 and Wally like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Steel, that theft of your old friend is a large loss....my sympathies. Have you posted details of the amp on forums. Someone might run across your amp, and if you can prove it is yours you might be reunited???

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's a real shame. Theft of anything always hurts and something like that would be terrible. I lucked into finding an almost exact replica of a Woody Deluxe 26 that someone made using their own amp as the "plan". I always have it in the living room ready to plug into.

Good luck with your search.

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Or less. As stated below,

"The easy way is hard enough!"

And, judging by the number of musicians who think a Peavey Classic embodies "tweed" tone I guess the tweed is in the cabinet.

Or in this case wood.

It's not a stretch to build woody cabinets for the readily available 5F1, 5F2 and 5E3 chassis. I used to build premium quality cabinets intended to stay naked. It was an artistic success but a commercial failure. I developed tendonitis from all the hand sanding. I may take another swing at it. If I put a couple hundred hours into bare wood cabinets with no takers I'm gonna be grumpy.

I endorse this one:

https://reverb.com/item/31803599-co...-boutique-1x10-guitar-tube-combo-natural-pine

Couple notes:

Dan rolls his guitar volume off. His little amp sounds like Sonny Landreth's Dumble wide open.

Price is inexplicably in dollars Canadian.

An old woody Alamo might keep the termites at bay. I'm not seeing any on Reverb or eBay.

LuthRavin likes this.
  8. Wally

Alamo ‘woody’......Md. 6 Paragon, 2 x 6l6

32C52D65-8B69-4F67-9D46-CA943D769265.jpeg

stevemc, Paul G., Treehouse and 2 others like this.
  9. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Like others have mentioned..sorry to here of that loss..I never see those being played out..chances are rare, but I would think that would be hard to unload being as rare as it is..anyway..$4,000 is a bunch to lay down these days..but if you have the dough why settle for a clone and just snag the real thing..sounds like that's what you want to do..

10. Wally

Somewhere there is a collector who was ecstatic to be offered such an amp. There is a high likelihood that the thief had a customer in mind before the amp was stolen. Forums like this might be the best way to unearth such an amp.....but the chances of getting it back are slim. One would have to have definitive proof of identification of the amp even if the amp surfaced.
    Was there a serial number on the amp?

11. printer2

The 26 Woody is a push-pull amp that uses a 6N7 dual triode in the Paraphase phase inverter slot, otherwise just a 6SC7 up front with normal cathode bias. Funny Fender went to a grid leak bias up front for the 5A3, I was expecting to see that here. Wonder what the plate voltage was on this amp? I recall somebody doing a copy of one of these.

[​IMG]

The amp was also suppose to come with a field coil speaker in its first year in 1946. I have a transformer with the socket for a rectifier tube sticking out of it, I saw a picture of a 26 with the style of transformer. I have bought tubes from a vendor from Taiwan and was always going to pick up a 6N7 but he no longer ships to Canada, darn it. And he had reasonable shipping rates. A 6SC7 should perform just as well in that spot.

SteelPrinceton47 and Wally like this.
  12. muchxs

Oh, cool!

Didn't know the big woody was a Paragon.

Pardon the pun.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Wally likes this.
  13. muchxs

I'll bet supply voltage is around in the low 300v range as per 6V6 tube data sheets.

Buddy of mine has a whole shelf full of field coil Jensens removed from Hammond "M" models.

Old Philco radios often had the rectifier stickin' outta the transformer back in the 110v days. But then a real woody would be 110v, too.

I have a shoebox full of 6N7s here somewhere.

That wouldn't be too difficult to build on a 5E3 chassis.

The 26 is like a "Dual Champion". No tone control.

14. SteelPrinceton47

SteelPrinceton47 TDPRI Member

Thanks RoscoeElegante, I really appreciate your kind words and help. Unfortunately my model 26 was very beat up and the serial number was close to impossible to read. It was very loved and had a dark royal blue-like fabric cloth on the front of it. I really do miss it and I wish I could dig up a picture of it soon. I've filed a police report in mid-July but the HPD officer kindly told me that he's not sure if it will turn up. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope someone will see this post

Printer2, thanks for your assistance as well but I'm hoping to find a genuine Model 26. I have no doubt there are talented builders who create exceptional amp reproductions, but I can't help but hope for an authentic one.

15. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Check out the conjunctive/corrective filter across the output transformer primaries acting as this amp's master tone control. Apparently it not only cuts treble but does some of the same EQ shaping that the global NFB in later Fender (and many others) amps use.

I think this sort of circuit element may still get used in some Dr. Z amps.

Wally likes this.
  16. printer2

I was going to mention the tone control at the back end. SteelPrinceton47, I hope you get a real one but it would suck if it got swiped again. I am guessing you had a '47 so that would be a permanent magnet speaker. On us batting around ideas, that is what we do. Sometimes it inspires us to do silly things, like making a 'tribute' to an original.

SteelPrinceton47 and Snfoilhat like this.
  17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And it goes to 12.

[​IMG]

18. muchxs

Oh, look at that.

I wasn't looking for a tone control over there.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

It's not an old Vox, right?

Otherwise known as a "cut" control.

If anyone is building one of these for the OP feel free to ping me for a few parts. I'll see if I can talk my buddy out of a field coil Jensen and I'm not doing anything with my weird old Philco PT.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  19. printer2

You know, if anyone as to do a great job on making a 26, what was his name? Snfoilhat? ;)

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  20. Wally

Re: Vox top cut control......this control sits just prior to the power tubes as compared to this adjustment above on the conjunctive filter circuit that acts on the primary side of the OT. I have never seen or at least never noticed such an adjustment on a conjunctive filter circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.