1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

im lookin for a good stack...any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by webster, Mar 23, 2003.

1. webster

webster TDPRI Member

hey everyone, i was looking for an amp or a stack for that matter with a very versital sound. anyone have any suggestions? im going to be playing alot of blues through it so does anyone know of any good bluesy sounding amps? thanks alot i really appreciate it. thanks in a advance :D

2. Tremo

Tremo Banned

If blues is your thing, you sure don't need a "stack". I'd say go find an old Super Reverb.

3. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

first of all - for real?
    "hey everyone im 16 and i live in nj. anyone else live in nj? if so contact me. i love the blues and i love my tele. i play a 69 thinline with joe bardens."
    that just struck me. most 16 year olds aren't into blues and teles.

now about your question. i have a few questions for you.

1 - what kind of stuff do you listen to (what kind of sound are you looking for)?

2 - why do you want a stack? is it becuase you think you need the power? i used to think that but trust me, if you get a good tube amp, you will be shocked at how loud the amps are. i have a tremolux (35 watts) and it's loud. i don't think there is any reason for you to have a stack.

3 - are you playing in a band or just home jaming?

4 - how much money do you have to spend on this amp?

4. webster

webster TDPRI Member

im totally serious...

i know its not common for a 16 yr old to like blues and play teles but there my favorite guitar and i love the blues. well to answer ur first question i listen to alot of blues guys like clapton and stevie ray and b.b.king. i didn't know what else i could have gotten besides that, that i could alot have gotten alot of sound out of. im in a band and i play a few gigs. i dont really have a limit to money b/c if i hear somthing i really want it doesnt matter how much it costs, i'll work till i get it.

over and out...
    webster

5. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Webster, I think you'll find that a stack is WAY too much amp to get what you want. Clapton, SRV, and many other blues artists get their signature tone by pushing an amp pretty hard, cranking it up. Most stacks have so much power that you'll be blowing out windows before you get the tone you need, so you should look at something in the 20-45 watt range.

There are some good options for you. Most of the tone junkies around here would recommend a vintage all-tube design, but there's problems there. First, a vintage amp needs maintenance, no two old amps sound exactly alike, even if you do put the same speakers and tubes in them. Third, you gotta worry about babying them, making sure they don't get stolen, etc. Fourth, and most important: nobody every sticks with their first tube amp. You'll pick one you think is exactly what you want, and then a lot about amps and tone and discover that the first one wasn't quite what you were after.

Given that, I'd go for something that gets you in the ball park, with plenty of examples around to try, and is relatively inexpensive. The Fender Blues Deluxe is a good one to try out, as is it's big brother the DeVille. The new incarnations of those are the Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville, and they're pretty good amps. You can find used Blues/HR Deluxes in the $400 range or less. There's also the Peavey Classic series in the same price range. The Super Reverb Reissue and Deluxe Reverb reissue amps are worth checking out too.

And some people will kill me for suggesting it, but the CyberDeluxe is a good option too. If the tones it gets aren't exact copies of good old vintage amps, they're pretty damned close and there's a lot of sounds to be had. If nothing else, you could play one of those for a year or two and use it to figure out what amp you'd really like.

Good luck, and let us know how the search goes!

6. webster

webster TDPRI Member

i played a...

im in my school jazz band and i my band director bought a Fender® Twin Amp™ 100-Watt All-Tube Amp. its so nice. and then sounds i get out of it is so beautiful. my 69 thinline has the f-hole in it so get a really mellow tone.

7. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What Eryque said... I never met a sixteen year old who didn't want a stack (or a 25 yr old for that matter). Honestly, having been there I can tell you they're a pain to move around and generally too loud for most clubs. Something that's 50 watts and has two twelves in it is all you'll ever likely need and probably something smaller would be best if you want to be a "purist" and get yer drive from cranking the amp. I'd've killed to be in three bands when I was sixteen-keep at it. 8)

8. nightwolf

nightwolf NEW MEMBER!

Hello Webster

Glad to hear that you like the blues. I first started playing the blues when I was first learning to play the guitar (40 years ago). I still play them blues today too!

My gigging amp for the last 10 years has been a Peavey Classic 30, that's all you really need. Forget the big power, forget the stacks. 40 years from now, when you still have your hearing (like I do), you'll thank me for it. The Classic 30 puts out about 30 watts and would be plenty just about anywhere you'd want to gig.

I don't play many bars. I don't like the smoke and I don't like being harrassed by people who drink a bit too much. There are plenty of people your age that dig the blues, and they come out to my gigs. I gig in the South Jersey area too.

9. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Webster, sounds like you've already got a lead on a good
    amp for you from that jazz band. Is it a Twin Amp, or a
    Twin Reverb Amp? They're different animals, though they
    kinda do the same thing: loud and clean. There's lots of
    used examples of either model around, and they're still
    making new Twin Reverb Reissues.

That Twin you're playing sounds pretty clean, I'm sure,
    which is great for jazzy stuff. Not quite so great for the
    styles of blues you like. Something in the 40 watt range
    like we mentioned before will get you a tone much more
    close to the blues styles you've mentioned.

10. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

eryque,
    It's certainly not me that will kill ya! I got that Cyber-Deluxe this year and could'nt be more happy. Lots of power, good sounds at low or high volume, lot of built-in quality mono and stereo effects, stereo line out speaker emulation, MIDI etc.

EXCELLENT choice for recording BTW. Never gig with it but heard others gig with a CD and beleive me it's a loud 65 watts! And ,many seems to like the Cyber-Deluxe more than the Cyber-Twin!

I haven't heard it yet but theres is a cyber-champ now!

You can get a CD now for not too much $$$, new or near mint. And it's coming more and almost near 300, even less, in the used market.

StratQuebec+'s home page

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

while folks are recommending the Classic 30...

...i might as well chime in and add that the Delta Blues is a cool Peavey amp as well. I've had their 1X15 model for about a decade now and it does blues just fine. definitely a good one to get acquainted with blues type amps too.

after you play it awhile and get used to tube tweaks, etc. (the DB is very sensitive to tube changes, which has been alot of affordable fun) you can move onto other amps as your tastes get honed in and you figure out what you prefer. i've now got 4 amps currently, the DB being one of them. it's still a top contender among my amps for playing blues stuff.

oh yeah - it's not a stack and only has 30 watts but is plenty loud (and sounds best cranked) and the 15" is a really great speaker. not too heavy either.

12. dave_esmond

dave_esmond Tele-Meister

since you asked about a stack....

look into a marshall jtm45ri.....

also bf/sf bassman heads are great....

i'm a big fan of brown fender tremolux heads too...

pair any of those with a nice 2x12, 4x10 or 4x12 and enjoy.....

i'm 38 and i still haul a 1/2 stack out to gigs sometimes.....enjoy it.....

d

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Webster, I suggest that you find a dealer nearby who sells Rivera amps and check them out. The combos are intersting in that they have a 'Focus' pot that damps the speaker electronically. You can go from an open-back sound to a focussed closed back sound at the twist of a knob. Rivera's do the clean Fneder sound with reverb as well or better than any other modern switching amp, and they have a wide range of overdrive possibilities. They are a lot of amp for the money, imo. The Fandango for instance will do surf, blues, country, rock and some high-gain things as well, and do them all well.

14. Jparris

Jparris Tele-Meister

A Tweed Champ on top of a Vibro champ...

and mic 'em thru the PA. :lol:

jparris

15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Websta' one amp, one time....

Any Fender amplifier that was designed between 1982 and 1986 with TUBES will take care of you for a long,long
    time. The name "Paul Rivera" is something you wanna study up on the internet. Paul owns "Rivera Amps" and he used to work for Fender in the 80's. His amps will do anything you ask them to do except maybe "low forehead Metal". The "Fender Rivera's" are still reasonably priced used but don't expect the pricing to stay low for too long as these are the last of the regular
    production line hand-wired Fenders. Best of luck.
    ps "If it's gotta be a stack 'cause ya wanna break your back" get an old Peavey Butcher and load it with Russian
    KT-66 Tubes and you'll be a pretty loud fella for the Blues
    World and have enough bread left over to grab a Highway 1 Fender new.

16. buglecorps

buglecorps Tele-Holic

Oh come on...

a stack is a blast..I still wish I had room for one..the trouble is finding one you can move around and not blow the windows out with.

#1 on the list would be a Marshall 20 watt Treble and Bass.. preferably with the matching 1X12 cab; the head is hard to find and $$$$$.. the cab is basicaly impossible to find...

What isn't so hard to find and is actually quite affordable is the various 3/4 size stack components that Marshall made in the '80s..

You could get 2x12 or 4x10 cabs, and 3 heads; 30 watt power tube hybrid, 50 watt all tube (hard to find) and 100 watt Mosfet SS (probably the most common) I had one of these with the 2x12 slant and the Mosfet head for a few months last fall.. exl condition paid 350 (a bit low) and sold it for 425 (a bit high) you should be able to find a nice one for @ 375 with some looking. Would be fine for playing the blues..and most anything else you could think of.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you still insist on a stack try an ORANGE one.Their 100w head and 4 X 12 cabinet sound awseome and WERE actually used by many UK blues bands in the 60's.Great looking too,the girls will love it....

18. 'ol hank pank

'ol hank pank Tele-Holic

Bedrock

If you can find one.
    Great stacks and combos.
    I mostly play a (Bedrock) combo, but still have a homebrew stack.

It's a Gallien Kruger running through an old ACOUSTIC 4x10 w 2 CTS and 2 Jensens and then into a homemade
    cab w a 15 Stromberg Carlson 15 inch MONSTER.

I hook my J Station up to the GK head and it is total mayhem. Very fun, vibrates the house, makes my pant cuffs flap in the breeze!!!

19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here are two possibilities

If you want a stack, here is a low-powered one:

[​IMG]

And here is a high-powered version:

[​IMG]

20. Adam Waldron

Adam Waldron Tele-Holic

Well, you were asking about a stack, so I am thinking bucks aren't down :)

I have been playing the blues since my teens, thats over ten years now.

The Classic 30 did me for eight of those years. I have always managed to get a great tone out of that. Not amazing, but pretty good!

I play bigger rooms now, the 30 couldn't push enough air and wouldn't stay clean enough. I was diming it.

I have a '59 Bassman Reissue now, and its perfect for what I do. I can run it on '6' and I am still not too loud. I reckon it sounds killer, and for me its very versatile. No stomp boxes required.

The Classic 30 is still good for more intimate settings, small rooms.

The three amps I would be looking at are the Deluxe Reverb RI, the Super Reverb RI and of course the Bassman.

The Hot Rod series sound pretty cool for the $$$, no question.

Cheers,

Adam

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.