I'm listening to one of the best recordings I've heard in a while...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, May 5, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm not even sure how I stumbled on this artist. Maybe Instagram, maybe through another African artist I listen to and follow on social media? Not sure. At any rate as soon as I saw this guy's name and what he played, the kora, I checked him out on Spotify, and was, like yep, that's going in the collection.

His name is Ballake Sissoko, and the name of the LP is "At Peace". The recording quality is phenomenal. At times it has a classical sound to it. As it's in French (recorded in France, and he's originally from Mali), I can't make out anything from the notes, other that it was recorded in 2012. Other instruments on it are guitar, bass, cello, violin and xylophone.

And, the vinyl is white. As white as snow. Never seen that. I've got black, blue, baby puke, orange, green, clear and yellow, and now white. I'm waiting on another of his that I ordered at the same time. Looking forward to some new music!

StevesBoogie and Esquire Jones like this.
  2. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Nice catch..I just tuned in to NPR tiny desk concert and he was...awesome i liked it

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Truly mesmerizing. There's no vocals, unlike Ali Farke Toure, so it definitely digs into what I would say is African "classical". Gorgeous sound scape. The recording is truly excellent, all acoustic. The other one that I ordered is called "Chamber Music", likely very apropos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.