I'm less good at church (than home)

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by xgritzx, Dec 5, 2019.

1. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I practice tons during the week (one of the only if not THE only that does), on weeks I can anyway. sometimes we dont get music in a timely fashion, and as I play along at home everything is fine. sounds good. I know my parts etc. show up for Wednesday and its like I take a couple steps backward. practice more and more and more during the week and then Sunday comes and its like my worst performance of the whole week. anyone else deal with this? or have any tips?

its my first P&W band, we are all novice players, so maybe its normal? TIA

JuneauMike and preactor like this.
  2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

How much do you play together as a group and how long have you been playing together? How much practice time do you have together? Are you the only one struggling on Sunday? I'm guessing that you aren't the only one, and that you all haven't played together enough as a band. There really is only one remedy for that, and it is more play time together. To answer part of your question, I think it is quite common for Sunday to come off less polished than your practice, especially if the group has not practiced enough to be tight.

Your post also intimates that a big part of the problem is that other players are not practicing enough on their own to actually allow the group as whole to play at the same level and be tight with one another. That is another type of problem that sometimes fixes itself when one person is obviously much more prepared than others and the others get embarrassed and start practicing more. Sometimes the band leader simply has to demand more prep from the slackers.

xgritzx and mRtINY like this.
  3. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

It may be stage fright. It affects musicians of every level, even professionals.

Everyone finds their own way to deal with it.

JuneauMike, preactor and xgritzx like this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It could be a touch of stage fright, but, to me it seems more like having kinks to work out with the group playing together. An issue I had first starting out too was that I would practice at home sitting, and then play sundays standing, and the change in position made the left hand movements really wonky. Started to practice in standing, and my Sunday playing got a lot better.

xgritzx likes this.
  5. Lineville65

Lineville65 TDPRI Member

In my experience what you’re describing is normal. You’re doing the right thing with your practice at home. Practicing and rehearsal are two different things. I’ve always encouraged novices that your practice at home is important, but playing together live in a band setting is where you really develop. You’ll soon be familiar with each other’s talents and mannerisms and will fit together more tightly.

I’ve found over the years situations are different. I was in a major university marching band. I found going out in front of 70,000 people on Saturday much less intimidating than being in front of 70 on Sunday. Maybe it’s the difference in responsibility. That said, enjoy it. It’s still live music. You’ll make mistakes, but remember the people in the seats have no idea you missed that chord. Your service should be fun. BREATHE and try to relax. I pray in thanks for the honor of leading His people in worship and that he uses me. You’ll experience moments that are indescribable.

Don’t be discouraged. Keep doing what you’re doing. It will develop into the best time of your life. Blessings and best wishes!

6. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Maybe you should learn this...

I (the paid staff WL) am the weakest musician on the stage most weeks. I will grab the wrong chord at least once in every service. No one notices. If it crashes, which is VERY rare we stop and laugh at ourselves and invite the folks to laugh with us. RELAX you can do your best or you can do the best you can do.

xgritzx likes this.
  7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

A lead part that I have nailed over and over at home becomes a complete mess! Just enough stage fright to kick the ADD into full mode and slow my reflexes. I can show my lead player what to do but I can't play it in public...go figure! No affect on playing rhythm guitar.

SBClose and xgritzx like this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

When you practice, concentrate on staying in focus. If my mind starts to stray away from the moment I'm in, my playing falls apart. For example, if I start thinking about the solo section coming up or that my neighbor is listening to me or whatever, I start to lose focus. I consciously practice keeping my focus from straying. I think it's one of the most important skills a musician has to learn. One of the best ways to practice that, unfortunately, is on stage, but you can do it in your private practice as well, just be aware that you need to monitor your level of concentration. Free your mind to play your instrument by nixing extraneous thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    dannyh, xgritzx and preactor like this.
  9. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Are you having to learn new songs every week? That can be a daunting task.

GoldieLocks, xgritzx and Flat6Driver like this.
  10. 00JETT

00JETT Tele-Meister

I tell musicians that struggle with this to try to practice at home the way they play live. Meaning if at home you sit and play, and at church you stand, try standing at home. Try to get your amp or monitoring device in a similar location as to when you play out. Lastly, if you can, when you play with tracks try playing them at some significant volume to get closer to when you play out. Our ears and sense changes a lot in different environments and this changes our comfort. Everyone says practice makes perfect, however you can practice 'wrong' and be very good at playing something only one way and if an element changes you feel off. I instead try to say 'perfect practice makes perfect'. Not always doable, but practising as close to possible as how you play live helps people who struggle switching back and forth.

xgritzx and SBClose like this.
  11. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

playing/practicing on your own is one thing, even with a metronome. Playing with others takes time and a bucket load of grace. It will get better in time, being patience will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xgritzx, nidgereedo and preactor like this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Normal.

I play on Sundays. They rehearse vocal parts on Tuesdays. I've stopped going because in essence we all really follow the other guitar player. ("Lead rhythm"). What we play is not like any recording and subject to who ever shows on Sunday. When we all go to pull it off together, there are many hiccups and moments of terror. It still comes off OK and better than I've heard other places. So if I practiced with the recordings of these songs, I'd be wasting my time. I'm competent enough to make it work and even the lead rhythm guy has some "moments".

xgritzx likes this.
  13. nidgereedo

nidgereedo TDPRI Member

Yeah, stage fright or live nerves (I'm vulnerable to pushing the beat/tempo when the nerves kick in, especially for song intros). Plus when you practice at home you have a flawless "band" (recording) to play with. When live, and all novices (actually, no matter how good we're all learners forever), there are so many more variables that will affect how well you play.

xgritzx likes this.
  14. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

well, we were only doing Wednesday for an hour or so, and a run through Sunday morning before service.

this is a fact. I think a couple do but largely most dont at all. I try to do an hour a day.

I didnt think so because playing live has never been a problem before. however ive never played other peoples music or anything non-metal previously so its quite possible that im hyper aware of what im playing rather than putting on a show. I noticed this week I sort of try to block out the audience to some degree. I HAVE to fix that.

right after I posted this I came to this conclusion certainly playing a part. the other guitarist has said he has that issue too.

this is really the answer at the end of the day.

for me yes. other members have been around long enough that they "know" the songs. though they really dont. they just do what they do stylistically and play the chords on the sheet.

I think this is key actually. I think my expectation along with a lack of patience may be causing some negativity on my part.

ive begun to wonder if this was part of it. though they will often say we are playing "so and so's version". but really we aren't. I think its partly a lack of direction so they use a "version" as a template for feel more than note for note replication.

yeah, this kinda goes with the above comment. when I dont have all those 10 layers of ambient P&W guitar tracks I feel a little exposed and so I pull back and get nervous.

everyone, thank you so much. I appreciate all the input and advice.

so if I was to stop playing along with the tracks themselves how would you recommend practicing to be prepared? just listen to the recording and practice from the chord sheets alone or???? what tools do you use?

nidgereedo likes this.
  15. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

You can still use the tracks to play with, but don't worry about playing note for note. I use them to get a sense of what I want to play within the context of the arrangement and rhythm of the song. Then, you can ad lib according to what the other players are doing. However, if you're the only one spending time in the wood shed practicing, then you should be able to pretty much drive the arrangement at rehearsal.

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

OH COOL! yeah that makes perfect sense. ill give that a try this week. sadly im not the "leader" and since she is a "one trick pony" we all end up having to follow her. (pianist). which in and of itself I dont really mind. a lot it is also my inexperience in a situation like this. its my first worship band and I dont know how close typical we are, so I may be expecting something outside of the ordinary, or something pro worship teams do. im not on that level either so I should probly temper my expectation somewhat.

17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

We play from written music....if there’s a melody to play, the piano player does it. However the other guitar player drives the tempo. If it’s something that’s been on the radio, you’ll recognize it from the words but not the arrangement.

What part of NoVa you in? I’m in PWC.

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Could it be that you're not used to playing clean or semi-clean on guitar or the way your worship band plays (slower tempo or something like that)? I think you can play a lot sloppier and get away with it, if you're using a lot of distortion. Going from metal to Kumbayah or Jambalaya might be a stylistic change you need to figure out how to adjust to. Nice thing about playing in church, I imagine, is that people are forgiving :). Just throwing that out as way for you to think about your approach to practicing and preparing for worship music.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes I think my best playing is at home. There are no distractions or having to react to other folks unexpected maneuvers:rolleyes:

That said a lot of the joy in playing comes from the interaction with others.

Stick with it and it will get easier;)

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

well, we have chord sheets that we use and everyone could probly just play each chord on the word and nobody would care to be honest. I just kinda have a higher standard. often times in my first joining nobody would listen to the songs and everyone just had "their thing" and would just show up and do that. which I think is actually perfectly fine if 1. people are very good players/professional, which we very much are not. 2. there is someone like your pianist can grab all the melodies. we also dont have that. so when I started a lot of what was happening was very mushy, and hap hazard. me included, so ive been trying to push our level a little bit and that means ME TOO!

im in the Fort Belvoir area! so pretty close depending where you are in PWC.

I think that defiantly plays a part. even though im playing with my IEMs direct into my Helix at home, those same IEMs sound unbelievably clear at church when fed from the board. in turn I pull back quite a bit. I can hear every pick stroke and that is quite odd for me. Im not sure its really a technicality issue or a tone issue as much as a volume issue vs the ol metal days. there was probly a lot of white noise hiding some of that stuff though.

studio and Toast like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.