I'm just not wowed by the mini humbucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by UPtele, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I like all kinds of pickups, and I have an ESP prototype with Duncan minis in it. It sounds good, but minis are my least favorite pickup. They have far less character than other pickups.

Interesting aside re minis: The pickup was developed by Epiphone and used in a bunch of their guitars. When Gibson bought Epiphone, they got a few truckloads of upright bass bodies and necks, guitar tuners and bridges, and several large crates of the mini humbuckers. Not wanting to throw them away or re-tool the production line to use them, Gibson came up with a novel way to incorporate them into their Les Paul: punch out the top of a P90 plastic cover and drill a screw hole in each end; the mini dropped right in. And that assembly dropped into a Les Paul body routed for P90s.

[​IMG]

2. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I only have one guitar with minis but it is a pretty great sounding one. I can't do all the sizzly-mids type of tone talk but I like them just fine. Like a humbucker but with more high end, which works great for me.

NoTeleBob and dougstrum like this.
  3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I have never even strummed a guitar loaded with minis. But to me the starting point with pickups is the amp. Some amps sound awesome with single coils, others sound great with humbuckers.

A big part of this is whether you run your amp dirty or not. I think I could get a decent super clean tone out of any amp, not that I would ever do that - I require a bit of dirt at all times. Once you start driving the amp, the pickup's personality starts to speak more and the amp/pickup combination is more obvious. I do think we get some stray voltage on TDPRI because the Tele community in particular tends to play very clean, so they will rave about something that actually doesn't work if you dial a bit of dirt in.

This is one of the reasons I switched to a Line 6 almost 20 years ago. I have a bunch of guitars, and I can dial in a Fender Twin or a Marshall Plexi depending on what guitar I'm playing.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

WHICH mini hum exactly ?
    Not all MHB are created equal.
    Ceramic ones do sound like kaka,good alnico ones sound glorious.

5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

SD Pearly Gates in the bridge from the custom shop. 20200523_091350.jpg love the sound.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I had no other way to demonstrate my Gibson Firebird V pickups. It's my only recording of them. Plugging my song... I honestly didn't think of it that way... but yeah! Why not? Two birds with one stone! I get to show how they sound, and plug my song!

On effects... Well, I intend to use my guitars and pickups in recording projects. I don't intend to play them plain naked. So, yeah... I may have used some guitar effects and EQ'd each track to fit into the mix. I'm not a pro though, so forgive me if they're not the best.

Thanks!

BrokenTele and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I started using minimums a few years ago. Tele with mini neck and single bridge is a fine setup for me. Guess it depends on the pickup, guitar, amp and what you're trying to get. 16267787013031312004741.jpg

8. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I have a Filtron mini from GFS that I like on the bridge spot, but no wow factor. I have a GFS mini that I will be trying soon for the neck. Not sure what sound I'm going for, but I'm going for it. I have yet to find anything that I like better than my Golden age P90 neck. i will be watching the post here......thx

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

The actual pickup is a Duncan SM- 1n

backporchmusic likes this.
  10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Not to derail this thread too far, but that's why I love my SCX2 so much... A couple quick tweaks of the dial and I can get stellar sounds from anything from my Tele to my Thinline (with fake WRHBs) to my SG to my Ric or 339. So versatile.

11. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a '52 hot rod and I like the mini humbucker, but I have been looking for something to replace it. I was ready to pull the trigger on a TV jones, but when I pulled the pickguard to measure the neck pickup cavity, I was surprised to find almost no extra clearance in the pickup cavity. It's close enough that it even makes me hesitant to buy one from Lollar or Fralin. :/

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

+1 here. I have them in all my electrics, combined with a piezo bridge in my semi and full hollowbodies, they are full, but without the mud of a full sized humbucker. One set I put in my Heritage H550 is the Epiphone Probucker II set. I was very pleasantly surprised with their overall tonality- lots of punch and clarity with a focused and deep bottom end- lovely! YMMV

FlyGuy10 and Telecaster88 like this.
  13. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

The guitar that turned me on to Mini-HBs was the original mid to late 90's Schecter Hellcat. One of the best gigging guitars (tone wise) I have ever owned. It had 3 Seymour Duncan SM Firebird Mini hums. Super versatile and just an amazing sounding guitar, clean or dirty. Really woody tone on the neck but with jangle and those pickups could drive dirt with really good clarity. And so many tonal combinations. Not sure what version you have (I was never a fan of the LP style NY mini hums) but I love me some firebird mini-hum, still some of my favorite all time pickups.

dougstrum and Telecaster88 like this.
  14. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Vintage Brand Tele with a Wilkinson neck mini. It actually came wired in a way that I considered backwards with the ground to the switch and the hot to ground. I don’t know what difference this really makes but I like it

15. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

I think what you meant to say was "thanks for sharing!" or something along those lines. Salt not required...

littlebadboy likes this.
  16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

When I got my SG with minis, it was the first humbucker guitar I'd ever owned. Plugging it in with knobs full up it was unruly and almost scary to me, having come from a lifetime of Fender single coils. I called up my Gibson-savvy friend, and he laughed knowingly and said "Turn down the guitar's volume pots." I did so, and lo and behold I started getting the most beautiful, natural, woody chime out of the thing. A total turn on! As I mentioned, I play strictly clean, and with those pots rolled down the mini-hums are a thing of pure beauty. Gonna hafta give that SG a little love and affection this afternoon!

The Angle and John E like this.
  17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

nice tune , nice playing.

18. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Ha, Yep that's true for sure. I typically never have any guitar with volume full open. I use the guitar volume to sweeten the tone of the pickups. And I never touch the tone control... lol. I'd rather not even have tone control on my guitars lol. It's funny I generally find that I can live with any rig with a bit of tweaking to match my tonal tastes. I mean sure there are things I prefer obviously (in some cases by a LOT) but at the end of the day even cheap stuff is good enough nowadays, especially with a good EQ pedal. I mean at this point something has to be just really awful for me to not be able to find some enjoyment in playing it. Really how they respond to my pick attack and and phrasing is more important to me and what really makes me choose gear to buy. I can generally find something about anything with six strings to like these days to just sit and play.

FlyGuy10 and Telecaster88 like this.
  19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

My Sheraton II has Gibson mini-humbuckers in it. They sound fantastic in that guitar.

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Back in the 70s I played (attempted to play :lol:) jazz with a '73 or'74 SG Special when they made minis with black plastic covers and exposed pole screws. Through an SFTR it had a really fine clean tone for chording.

Those were minis, but currently I'm ready to experiment with a @Rob DiStefano Phoenix "Blues Special" Firebird pickup I got from @theprofessor. I dig 'Bird pickups and will try this in the neck position with a '51 Nocaster in the bridge.

Telecaster88 and theprofessor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.