I'm Just Not Into The Olympics

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
It's lost most magic for me. Massive money grab, drugs & cheating, pro athletes in it now, does a ton of economic/cultural damage to the host city, horrible coverage with inane announcers (really noticeable if you ever played one of the sports).

I am also sick of the current angle of athletes "struggling with mental health". Most of these people have lived charmed lives and were groomed from this from an early age and are out there playing a game and making big bucks at it and yet can't stop with the mega drama about how tough they have it.

Also that which can't be named and how it's scared the crowds away and Tokyo residents have decided to take a vacation out of the city to avoid the whole thing and yet the show goes on... more signs it's a shameless money grab.

Some of the new events they can't even listen and structure the event in a way that makes sense for the sport as opposed to messing with the sport to make an artificial show to get better TV ratings.

Well... Charmed doesn't mean lack of trauma. Not at all, in fact. "Groomed from an early age" is rarely ever a normal, healthy childhood development. Predatory, to say the least.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I'll watch a little bit of everything but since I don't follow most Olympic sports, my interest is pretty limited. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that US networks used to do a better job of covering athletes from around the world and not only the US team. Sure, I still root for my country's team but part of the fun was learning about athletes from other countries.

I've had that impression since 1996 when the Olympics were hosted here in the metro Atlanta area.

I think that started well before Atlanta, although we may have accelerated it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was an Olympic junkie decades ago and aspired to compete near that level, but the professional athlete invasion some 30 years ago ended it for me. I can pick and choose which specific sports to follow, but this year doesn’t even inspire me to do that.

I feel bad for the host country this time around though. Bad timing. I truly do think that the Olympics is a time to show the world that we can peacefully come together, but even that doesn’t seem possible anymore.

Commercialization perhaps is ending the modern Olympic era. A sad moment and I will shed some tears for existing and future athletes.

Slap Axe

Tele-Meister
I’ve been enjoying them. It’s fun to see sports that I’m into that hardly ever get any tv time, like mountain biking and surfing. Plus I’m a sucker for the whole “thrill of victory/agony of defeat” thing, which is even more compelling when you’re competing on behalf of your country. And admittedly, it’s been an excellent distraction from other more depressing going’s-on around the world.

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
I'm in the UK, this olympics isn't working for me at all, it's a timezone thing I guess, when I'm up, it's basically finished.

The sports list is also mental. Dressage. You've made a horse dance. It's very impressive, it's not a sport, stick on youtube and put on some normal trousers.

Winter Olympics are next year though. And they're amazing. Every event could kill you!

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
We grew up idolizing Olympic athletes and always enjoyed the competitions with good and sad stories. I was a long time supporter of USA Olympics. I have the pens, clocks, hats, jackets, duffel bags and return address labels to show for it. At this time I do not have anything nice to say about them and I do not follow them in any media or support them.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I'd say all magic from the Olympics is gone for me. Once upon a time I enjoyed them, but not anymore. Sports is no longer a respite from the ugliness of the World.
It is a respite for ugly personality people who are low life disrepective of society. However they think their style of life is what everyone else also deserves . There are tubes! And we are going down them.