I'm Just Not Into The Olympics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm just not feeling it. I mean, I appreciate the work and dedication and talent it takes to get there but THIS one just doesn't grab me.

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Same, for reasons cited by loopfinding et al.

I don't have live TV so it's easy to be principled about this, but seems kinda gross this year.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s different when it’s at home; I’m actually watching more than usual.

Rustbucket, AAT65, Chip and 4 others like this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I typically have enjoyed the Olympics more than this one. The commercials (on the NBC primetime broadcast anyway) are just nonstop!! Of course track hasn't even started yet, and that for me is my favorite part.

5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Its easy for me to be a bit biased, as I am not generally interested in most sports at all. Occasionally the olympics allows a glimpse into the best of the best doing something interesting, but I usually feel like I could be doing something better with my time.

And in my observation, right now theres a lot of more important current events to distract from sports, as opposed to sports distracting from current events.

But thats just me.

6. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I think it's because of the lack of excitement without the crowds. I'm a huge hockey fan and it took a while to enjoy the games on TV without a crowd. When they announced they were going to play them that way I didn't think it would matter but after watching the first crowdless game I found it almost boring and tuned out for a while.

7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. Me neither. It’s fine.

I had a lot of childlike wonderment around it when I was younger. I probably last cared about it around 2008 or so.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Crossing sports off my list, and checking it twice, yep there goes another one. Mr. and Missus sports person feel free to offer up your particular brand of crazy, but do it somewhere else we're all full up around here. Most days now when I'm watching any kind of sport, I feel like Ralphie when he was decoding his message, and found out the message was just another crummy commercial.

9. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Still enjoying the competition.

Marc Morfei and Torren61 like this.
  10. Torren61

This, for me. ^

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Torren61

And this, for me. ^

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Im not into it at all. Won’t watch even out of curiosity. We’re not doing well either so I guess I’m not missing much.

Gardo, Fendereedo and Torren61 like this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been big into summer olympics. I far prefer winter. But in general, olympics (and really most professional sports events) have lost its luster with me. Too corporate, pretentious, political, and downright corrupt and fraudulent at every level.

14. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Same here @Torren61. I am not going to lie and say I have always been an Olympics junkie ... but, I have always had the pleasure to watch several competitions across the board my entire life.

I don't know what it is that has caused me to completely become disinterested this year.

Gardo, Rockinvet and Torren61 like this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Funny, it has always been the crowds that I dislike the most. I find sports great for individuals, ie to play. Really, I only like boxing, a condoned sport where really, they are trying to kill each other. If my Dad hadn't been a boxing fan, I probably wouldn't care for that either.

Rockinvet and Torren61 like this.
  16. Torren61

What does it take for them to cancel it? I mean, if there was a volcano erupting right there, would they still have it? It just doesn't FEEL right this time.

Jonzilla, sabuchan, richiek65 and 3 others like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always like the Olympics. The hard work, the families brought to tears after changing their lives for years to support a kid, etc etc.
    But I will say, NBC has botched this coverage big time. It's nearly impossible to watch an entire game to conclusion. TV coverage ends before the competition ends. You watch it for an hour and never find out who won! It doesn't continue on immediately after that segment and switches to something else etc. Confusing as heck. I never did find the Japan US Softball game yesterday. Heard the result in a 30 second blurb at 11pm.
    The schedules on TV segments are often wrong.
    Basically they are making it as hard to watch as possible...

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Oh right. Commercials. That's one of the main reasons I don't watch any network TV. And once you've gone a while without having to endure commercials, there's no going back. Can't remember when I last watched the Superbowl by choice. All commercials suck. But the huge big name sponsor commercials during huge events are the worst. Screw that.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Corporations rule and control the united states and their control grows great everyday. Every business has been invaded and the people,(at least half of them) have been dumbed down to ignorance. They are the only ones going to a sporting event where safety and control over current health issues is at an ebb.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's lost most magic for me. Massive money grab, drugs & cheating, pro athletes in it now, does a ton of economic/cultural damage to the host city, horrible coverage with inane announcers (really noticeable if you ever played one of the sports).

I am also sick of the current angle of athletes "struggling with mental health". Most of these people have lived charmed lives and were groomed from this from an early age and are out there playing a game and making big bucks at it and yet can't stop with the mega drama about how tough they have it.

Also that which can't be named and how it's scared the crowds away and Tokyo residents have decided to take a vacation out of the city to avoid the whole thing and yet the show goes on... more signs it's a shameless money grab.

Some of the new events they can't even listen and structure the event in a way that makes sense for the sport as opposed to messing with the sport to make an artificial show to get better TV ratings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.