1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm Jones'n for another motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 13, 2021.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Love Guzzis. The W800 is a cool looking bike...great mix of color and chrome.

2. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I'm going the other direction and have been getting rid of bikes over the past few years. I'm retiring next month and trying to get rid of a whole lot of stuff.

The only bike I still have from that picture is the 851. Last July I got rid of the Monster 1200S and replaced it with a Moto Guzzi V85tt, which means I am down to ONE Ducati for the first time since 1995. I really really really want a V2, or maybe a Super Sport S, but I highly doubt I'll actually buy one. It's kinda nice not to have to maintain and insure and register multiple bikes. The cost per mile on some of my stuff was insane since I rarely rode some of them.

I have no interest in owning a V4 Panigale. Rode one at a track day a couple years ago, then rode it's little brother 959 right after. I was faster everywhere but the front straight on the smaller bike. 200hp is all fine and dandy but rather useless if you don't have the throttle wide open. And while the fantasy is you're going to be Valentino Rossi on your way to Starbucks, the reality is with 200hp you have the throttle wide open less than 1% of the time. And even when you DO crack it open, the electronics take over to prevent the gauges from hitting you in the face or the rear suspension from launching you ten feet in the air when the rear tire spins, slides, and hooks up again. The V4 was nice, absolutely, but the cost of bragging rights is just too high for me.

Oxidao, 19sixty3 and John Backlund like this.
  3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Sounds to me like you should have just kept it.
    I like Moto Guzzis about as much as anyone can who's never ridden one. But my BAS itch is currently pretty well satisfied.

4. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah, I've gone through the big power bike thing with two Hayabusas, a ZX14, first gen V-Max, ZX10, and a BMW S1000R, but I honestly get more out of less aggressive mid-power machines. I would almost certainly have more genuine 'fun' riding a GTS300 Vespa than I would another near 200 hp hyper-bike, though the insanely easy power of those machines can be addictive, but as you mentioned, the only way to realize and access all that power is use it, and unless one has a death wish, the times where it can be used aren't worth the monetary costs and potential consequences of a moment of poor judgement.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. John Backlund

Oh, yes, where it concerns that V7 III, I definitely have a good measure of seller's regret. But then, I don't marry my bikes, and they come and go as a natural progression in my life, how else have I managed to own sixty motorcycles over the years?

Of those sixty machines of nearly every type, I would put that V7 III well into my top ten, possibly my top five.

6. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I took that bike down to the vintage bike festival at barber one year. The road to and from the track was amazingly fun on that bike, I even passed a few people on the way there. That's a 160cc Ducati, might even have single digit horsepower, I dunno, but certainly was fun.

In the real world it sucked so bad I ended up selling it to a guy who rides it in front of his shop every so often but it's generally just a display bike now.

Small bikes are great fun as long as everyone has them. As soon as the guy with the small, um, feet shows up on an open class bike it's all over though. ;-)

7. John Backlund

That 160cc Ducati is very easy to look at.

We currently have five motorcycles in the garage, though one is sold and awaiting it's new owner to pick up when he returns to the U.S. from his job in Australia next September, but we seem to manage to keep at least one relatively high-performance bike in the fleet. Currently, we have my '17 1200 Thruxton R, and my wife's Kaw Z900, followed by my much more conservative Honda CB1100EX and '18 Goldwing. This photo includes the '15 Sportster XL1200C that I had for a couple season's, but it was sold last August.
    IMG_20200502_191908340.jpg

19sixty3 likes this.
  8. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

LocoTex likes this.
  9. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Once you go Guzzi you’ll never go back.

10. John Backlund

This morning I bought the blue Kawasaki W800, but due to my work schedule, I can't bring it home until Wednesday afternoon.
    IMG_20210414_162800136.jpg

I ended trading in my beloved '17 Honda CB1100 on it when they offered me $1000 more for it than I thought they would.

I'm going to miss that wonderful Honda four-banger, but as I always say, I don't marry the damn things, so they come and they go.

Oxidao and LocoTex like this.
  11. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I still want my '82 Honda V45 Magna back. I lost my peripheral vision, so no more bikes for me. Below is not my bike, just a good double:

[​IMG]

John Backlund likes this.
  12. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Nice!

My dealer delivered the bike to me for free when I bought my DR650. That was great, they just pulled up in front of my house the morning after I bought the bike and five minutes later they were gone, without me having to figure out how to get to/from the dealer with my car.

13. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Not all motorcycle dealers have “it” but the one I bought my bike at...did. I am talking about a certain new-motorcycle-dealer smell. Seriously. It instantly brought back a memory of going into a Honda dealership when I was a kid, what a pleasant reminder I guess.

14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like all 3, but that Bonneville takes it. Really sharp.

I hanker for a Commando.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.