1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm Jones'n for another motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 13, 2021.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Interesting. I figured there were inherent differences between the flat-twin and the V-twin, but balancing and related trick parts can deal with vibration no matter which design the engine is. Thanks.

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I get the urge to ride again I take a look at the traffic around me .
    That usually kills my enthusiasm. I don’t like people pulling in front of me or trying to change lanes over top of me.

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

What model was that ?

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately this was in 1974......and i dont remember....scrambler maybe?

5. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah, I know that the 270 degree cranks on the newer liquid-cooled motors are supposedly quite 'superior' to the Hinckley air-cooled 360 degree bikes, but my T100 didn't vibrate enough to even be worth commenting on, and I truly miss that great, classic, Brit-twin sound, which was, and still is, distinctive and to wax poetic for a second, quite wonderful to the ear.

I generally like a nice V-twin sound, but for me anyway, it's just out of place coming from a British vertical twin.

My T100 only made about 61 hp, but it used it so well that I never wished for more from it, and it was an absolute pleasure to romp around our Black Hills two-lanes on, especially on cool summer weekday mornings when you have the place to yourself.

6. John Backlund

I'm also considering buying back my beloved '17 Moto-Guzzi V7 III Special from the dealership I traded it in at over a year and a half ago...it's still sitting there on their sales floor, a pathetic and abandoned orphan, and with a flat front tire for at least the last six months.

It has almost 12,000 miles on it, all by me, and it is an understatedly great little motorcycle with 'substance' beyond what it's conservative appearance would indicate. It's the kind of bike that, although not 'flashy', nor endowed with asphalt-searing, rocket-like performance, endears itself to you with time and miles, and you find yourself zipping along thinking..."Damn, this thing is a really satisfying and fun little bugger".

Here it is when I owned it...
    Screenshot_20191201-101328~2.png

And here it is now, at the Honda/Triumph dealership, where it's sat for almost two years...
    IMG_20191007_091854415.jpg

They initially had it priced at a much-too-high $7200. Then, last year they were trying for $6700, then to $6300.

I was at the dealership last week, and half-seriously offered them $5500 for it, and they, hummed around a bit, then said they would accept that amount, which is a pretty decent price for it, so getting that bike back is yet another option, and a quite attractive one at that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Dennyf and 19sixty3 like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Bonneville.

8. otterhound

I visited the factory and museum . Lake Como is next door . Saw the V-8's etc.

John Backlund likes this.
  9. otterhound

That could be except that the Scrambler was a 450 . I asked because I know of no Ducati single larger than 549 cc and Ducati only made 50 of them . None of them is street legal and it is affectionately called the Supermono . A pure road racing motorcycle .
    Chalk it up to a good forgetter . After all , that's the only thing that gets better as we get older .

DesmoDog likes this.
  10. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

the Alfas of bikes. who cares if they're any good because they are cool as.
    i REALLY want a Griso 8v

11. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Dang it folks. Now you've got me jones'n for a bike.

My first bike was a '72 Bonneville in purple sparkle, Then Harleys after that. I sold my last bike about 6 years ago and thought I was done. But, lately I've been considering getting something smaller and a newer Bonny is on my list. I love to get a Bobber but I don't think the wife would go for that. Truth is, one reason I quit riding is because I was no longer comfortable with a passenger. We'll see.

12. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Or I could go vintage custom. Just spotted this '66 TR6R bobber on the local CL. :cool:

But, I don't think my old bod could take a hardtail any more.

[​IMG]

13. John Backlund

Easy fix, you need a wife who rides her own stuff....gives you many new options for your own ride...
    IMG_20200104_131539622_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20200827-165546~2.png

Screenshot_20200713-133606~2.png

Oxidao and 19sixty3 like this.
  14. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Some time ago I fixed up '51 HD 45 CI flathhead for her. Foot clutch, tank shift. That bike was a blast but it made me nervous when she rode it so I kind of stopped fixing it and she sold it.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I gave up street riding in the 70s because of idiot drivers. I've not been enticed to do it again.

Gardo likes this.
  16. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

My cousin's band is called 'Whumfff' as he owned a Triumph Bonneville in the late 1980's when the band was formed, the name was taken from the noise of the Bonneville being kick started.

JSMac likes this.
  17. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

From the pics, it looks like you're in the western part of the state. Beautiful riding in those hills. I went to high school on the other side in Mitchell. After I moved to Colorado I made it to Sturgis a number of times.

18. John Backlund

I'm in the Black Hills of western South Dakota. Oh, sure, there's plenty of idiot drivers here, but it's manageable...and twenty years of riding and surviving, motorcycles in the Mpls/St. Paul metro area was pretty good training.

archetype and JSMac like this.
  19. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Here are a few that I owned. '58 Panhead, '27 Harley JD with a side-hack, and my wife's '51 45".

bigbikes.jpg

FenderLover, Oxidao and 19sixty3 like this.
  20. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

AND DEER!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.