1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm jonesing for a Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, May 20, 2014.

1. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Congratulations! That's a great car. I had a '92 in yellow as well, now I have a 2008 (bought it new) with the electric hardtop.

They run forever.

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. They were designed to seat two 'full statured men'

They're really good cars. I Daily Drive one.

3. JD0x0

Where are you getting 10 seconds from? My Miata does it in 7, nearly bone stock. Pulled a little weight, but engine is stock. I have motorcyclists in my car all the time, and there's always a 'whoa!' when I go through first and second gear. 130hp doesn't sound like a lot, but remember the car is barely over 2000lbs. They can move their butts. Also the 1.8L BP engine has a pretty decent power band for a 4cyl.

4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Cool. They're just a damned lotta fun on wheels.

5. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

The best part is my wife fully supports the purchase...although it does seem like she might claim it as her own ;)

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

THIS is a chicks car

[​IMG]

I've driven my wife's yellow handbag with wheels once, late at night.

Give me a gunmetal mx5 anytime!

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The earliest versions, not the newer ones, they have respectable acceleration.

This is from the table someone posted earlier in the thread:

Mazda Miata, MX-5 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

1990 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.0 Quarter mile 16.5

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile 16.8

1991 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.0 Quarter mile 16.5

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile 16.8

1994 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.6 Quarter mile 16.8

1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 8.7 Quarter mile 16.4

1996 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter mile 16.4

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

My wife and I were car shopping and one trait all Mazdas seem to have in common is that from behind the wheel, they make you ask if you really need more car.

There are many many cars that overwhelm the Miata's measurables, but the number that beat it's fun-to-drive is pretty small, especially when price is factored in.

9. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I looked it up there is an aftermarket for these things. I wouldn't be to worried about the zero to 60:D

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When you start talking about Miata's you can almost throw the stop watch and speedometer out the window. It's like the weathermen talking about how cold it is outside. There's the temperature, then there's the feel like temperature.

I've only driven one Miata and the feels like power, speed and g force numbers are probably much [greater -edit LESS] than actual. And that's what Miatas are loved for. Then, as Bart said, if that ain't enough for ya...go ahead drop in a V8!

I never really got the "chick" car thing. Probly started by the same fellers that came up with "rollin' coal"...LOL!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  11. Colo Springs E

I understand what you're saying. However the old one I had was flat out underpowered in my opinion. A/C on? Forget passing anyone.

12. Colo Springs E

I kinda like the brand new ones, more of a Porsche influence to the look than the one pictured here.

13. JD0x0

Mines first gen, too. The 1.6's are slow, but they were never meant to be fast. They're lower on power, and the power band is much worse compared to the 1.8L

Also we have to remember these 0-60's are usually factory tested with terrible tires.
    Still didn't see 10 seconds+ up there, though.

They're quick cars if you know how to keep them in the power band. Same goes for the S2000, yeah, on paper it looks fast with 200hp. But that's PEAK power, and the power band doesn't really wake up on those cars until after 4K RPM. If you try to flog it like a diesel or a long stroke V-8 you're not going to be too happy.
    Besides, part of the fun of the Miata is getting to nail the throttle to the floor and listen to that DOHC Inline 4 scream. FWIW the BP engine is a 'detuned' turbo rally motor. (Partly why it's so reliable) It's adaptable to AWD, FWD and RWD. It still has all the turbo 'upgrades' like piston oil squirters, low compressions cylinders, etc. The cars are really easy to throw a turbo onto, if you need more power. I've had my car for years, and I'm still at stock power. It has enough. It makes 100ft-lbs of torque @ 2000RPM with a 4500RPM peak with 110ft-lbs. Doesn't seem like much on paper, but they're light cars. Mine will put you in the seat through 1st and 2nd gear (up to about 59-60mph, which is close to the legal speed limit.)
    Starts to lose the 'umph' around 3rd and 4th gear, but will still hold its own if you stay in the power band. I've hit 140 in mine, with the top down. I dont think they're even supposed to go that fast with the top up. :p

The 1.8L BP engine was not only used in the Miata. It was also used in significantly heavier cars, and quite a few of them, at that. If they were so down on power, they probably wouldn't be used on so many vehicles, for such a long period.

14. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Mine is the 1.6 and I was quite surprised, knowing the hp/tq specs, just how much oomph it does have. Also, knowing that it isn't a powerhouse makes it more relaxing to sit back and enjoy the ride :)

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm always more concerned about acceleration from 30 mph to 60 mph. If I'm starting from zero, it's because I'm still in my parking spot, or I'm at a red light and often in traffic. If I'm in city traffic, I don't need to get to 60mph, and I can really only go as fast as the car in front of me.

If I'm on a highway, where I can actually go 60 mph, then I've probably gone from about 30 mph up to highway speed. Around here, it's all merge lanes, and I don't enter a highway from a standing start.

Whatever, the numbers, I've always really enjoyed driving a Miata. And even if the original was only slightly faster than a Toyota Corolla, Ford Tempo, Honda Civic, Ford Ranger, or Chrysler Minivan of the same year, it was clearly fast enough to do what was needed, while feeling a whole lot quicker and nimbler than anything near its price point.

16. Colo Springs E

I agree with you. But, again, the first generation Miata I owned had really poor acceleration--for the exact scenario you describe: merging into traffic, attempting to pass another car quickly etc.

17. Colo Springs E

I commented on this thread forever ago, but I don't believe I said 10 seconds +. The early times included 9.4 and 9.6.

I owned one and enjoyed the handling, but thought it was a pig as far as acceleration. Others obviously don't feel the same. I would probably own one of the newer ones, I prefer the looks of them in addition to better performance.

18. kelnet

Interesting. It had more horsepower and less weight than a lot of cars in 1990, and when I drove those first generation models (I sold Mazdas at the time), I found passing and merging to be no trouble at all. I always had plenty of acceleration. Hell, my 1988 Mazda 626 had only 110 hp, and we drove that thing all over Canada and never had a problem merging or passing.

The 1990 Chevy Cavalier had 95hp. The base Corolla had 95hp. The base Honda Civic had 70hp, with the top model Si having only 108hp. Even the sporty Honda CR-X Si had only 108hp. So, compared to the top-selling small cars in North America, the Miata had more power at 115hp. It had a top speed of 123 mph. I got one up to 116 mph on a trip to Whistler, and it got there plenty quick enough.

Then again, if you're used to cars with a lot more power, then the Miata is going to feel slow. Compared to a whole lot of cars back then, including the millions of Chrysler minivans on the road, with their god-awful 4-cylinder engines, it wasn't slow at all.

One thing I found when I was selling the MX-5 was that people were reluctant to really wind out that engine. The Miata red-lined at 6500 rpm, and yet people were always shifting at around 3500, as if they were driving their usual American cars with their low rev engines. Shifting early would certainly make the Miata slow.

19. JD0x0

This. As I've mentioned before, if you want to go 'fast' you need to use the power band. If you're trying to shift like a diesel or long stroke V-8 you're not going to be happy. Peak torque and HP are above 4000RPM.
    Now, the 1.8L does have a decent torque band in that it makes about 100ft-lbs torque at 2000RPM, and peak is roughly 4500RPM w/ 110ft-lbs. That's a fairly flat torque curve for a non variable valve timing, small displacement 4cyl. but it doesn't make much HP down that low and while it'll have a decent amount of power pulling itself up hills at lower RPM, it wont have the acceleration, unless you get more into the power band.

I had to yell at my dad who was trying to shift my Miata at 2K RPM. He thinks he's still driving the SRT/10 Viper with an 8 liter V10, the way he shifts.

FWIW, my first gen can break the tires loose in 1st gear, 'chirp' second and third gear on a good day, when I use the power band. That's plenty of power. Never had any trouble merging. You will though, if you try to keep it in top gear, low RPM, and then accelerate. It's not a pony car, but it also doesn't need to be. Their quickness is obviously in the handling. I've seen a good driver in a 160hp Mx-5 playing with Porsches on the track, and leading in the curves, but they still hold their own in a straight line, on legal roads, where the speed limit doesn't usually exceed 65mph. I've been able to out accelerate a few cars with significantly more power than my car.

Guess what, too. The 1997 Crown Victoria with the Police Package (with a corvette motor) has a 0-60 time of 8.7 seconds, with a 16.5 second quarter mile. Still think the Miata is slow? An equal year Miata, is faster than that in a straight line, and can handle better, still.

Still think they're slow? 'slowest' Miata, the 1990 1.6L has comparable acceleration to a 1997 police car, with a corvette engine...

1.8L is comparable to some of the slower contemporary mustangs.
    2.0L versions can jam pretty well 6.1-6.5 second 0-60 times.

Just trying to put it into some perspective. They were never meant to be power houses, but they are by no means 'slow' if you know how to drive them correctly. Also, I do know what 'fast' is seeing as I've driven the aforementioned Dodge SRT/10 Viper 'supercar' with 8.0L V10.

20. kelnet

I think we've forgotten just how weak a lot of new cars were back in 1990. Today, we have family sedans with over 200 hp, but in 1990, the high-performance version of the Chevrolet Beretta, the GTZ (oo, that sounds like it should be really fast) had only 180 hp and a 0-60 of 7.6 seconds.

The hot version of the Cavalier, the Z24 had a mere 125 hp. Today, the base version of the subcompact Chevy Sonic has 138 hp. The new base Malibu has 191 hp and the top model has 259 hp. That's a lot of power for a mid-size sedan. In 1990, the Chevrolet Corsica mid-sized sedan had 95 hp. You can get a new Ford Focus with 252 hp, from a 2.0 litre engine. The 5.0 V8 in the 1990 Mustang had 225 hp.

The list goes on and on. Cars that were perfectly fine in 1990 are now seen as dead slow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.