1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm jonesing for a Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, May 20, 2014.

1. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"almost dangerously slow" is a huge exaggeration. I've had much slower cars- the MG Midget and MGB both took about 15 sec to go from 0-60- that were a blast to drive and had no trouble keeping up (and passing) with traffic. Even my 103hp 1.5 liter Scion xB keeps up just fine.

You have to work a little to get these cars going fast. They're not for everyone.

I've had one car that I considered to be almost dangerously slow- a 1997 Honda CR-V. Although it kept up with traffic fine and even handled the hills of the Cabot Trail with my family of 4 and a Thule trunk on the roof, I had to plan carefully when pulling out of a side road onto a fast main road! It was bog slow off the line!

2. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

Yes, they are. The performance figures, just to compare, of the current "slowest" Porsche being the Boxster might shed some light on the evolution of the cars carrying the moniker of the man that designed the original bug.

Edit: it would appear my jpegs won't download properly, but the slowest Boxster is a 2000 non-S model at 0-60 6.0 sec 1/4 mile 14.5 sec and the fastest is a 2011 Boxster S Spyder at 0-60 4.2 sec and 1/4 mi 12.7 sec

Attached Files:

3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, not a HUGE exaggeration. 0-60 in 10 seconds? Pathetic.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

When do you ever need to get from a standstill to 60 mph in less than 10 seconds? Does your driveway empty onto a freeway?

Also, 10 seconds used to be considered really fast, and most cars on the road were slower than that. Traffic speeds haven't changed that much. Speed limits are still the same in town and on most highways. Why do we suddenly need to get to 30 or 40 mph so quickly?

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    a base model 65 Mustang did 0-60 in about 15 seconds

Just saying...

;)

6. Colo Springs E

Further proof that cars are better today than yesterday. ;)

7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Simple: because it is fun. I floor my Mustang multiple times every drive. Only real problem is that it's into ticket territory so damned fast, and its a pig compared to modern machines. But it'll still break the tires free at will, hammer with tail twitching around a corner, twin pipes roaring, all that good stuff. Good Lord, yes. Ah yes.

But Miatas are more importantly great road cars. I did a Mustang cuz it works punches my buttons but its not the sports car Miata is. No way.

Performance data needs perspective. Before I bought my first Mustang about 15-20 years ago we considered a '68 Porsche 911. Nice car, right? Well, a current base Toyota Corolla would trounce it. And the early '60s 356C my guitar friend was gonna sell me for $3K that I stupidly decided to pass on? A relative turtle 0-60..

But I shoulda bought it. Great road car. Like a Miata. And I'd floor 'em & row the gears every darned drive. Why else own a fun car?

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There are sources on the web that says my NEON RT does 0-60 mph in 7.5 s.

That seems quick enough.

:)

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just watching the warm up for the F1 race at Monaco...

I'll bet the drivers wish they were driving Miatas around that circuit than extremely fast F1 cars in a bunched field..;)

the track is insane.. looking through the in car shots, no room for error....:lol:

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Chris Harris has a few words to say -

11. Colo Springs E

That's a good video... nothing I can argue with there. Funny, because from the beginning of the video, I thought he was going to be 'converted.' Was refreshing that he acknowledged he was too harsh on it in some ways, but that it's not this AMAZING life-changing experience that some make it out to be.

They're fun cars, I briefly owned one of the earlier ones (93 or 94 I think). But it definitely could have used a little bit more power, that would've made it nearly perfect.

Whatever your opinion, Mazda knocked it out of the park when they introduced this little roadster, huge success.

EDIT: here's mine... it was a '93. I bought it with the hard top for $4000. Sold the hard top for $1100 and then later sold the Miata for $4100. Best I ever did on a used car purchase/sale.

Attached Files:

12. red57strat

That was a good video- a little harsh but, when he mentioned modified cars, it reminded me of when I first drove Miatas.

The cars I drove were regular types of Miatas with power steering and standard suspensions. I though the steering was too light, the car leaned way to far in corners and the inside rear tire liked to spin coming out of corners. It was a little sloppy. My plan was to buy a base model and modify it.

Then I found my R and it was love at first drive! It was tight and planted and very precise on tight roads- like a scalpel. A set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-71s tightened it up even further (unfortunately, the standard version of that tire is no longer available).

I think I could've done even better putting coil overs, sway bars, bushings, limited slip, etc... on a base model but I really like the turnkey R package.

So, I have to admit that my opinion of the Miata (and what I say about them) is skewed.

13. Colo Springs E

I like that the Miata ($27k)--which isn't 'top of the line' MX5--actually has limited slip differential.

You have to upgrade to the "S" package to even get LSD on the Jag F series ($81k). Granted, may not be apples to apples as far as the design/performance, but still.

14. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

True, but at least you'll have one of the best super cars on the road with a price tag within reach or mortal men.

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Jay Leno has one...
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/10/jay-leno-mazda-miata-25th-birthday-video/

it does not go fast, it goes swiftly. haha

I have a '91, wished I had known Tele-Caster was wanting to drive one, I used to live just north of Talequah and would have loved to come down 82 along the Illinois to visit! That would have been a fun drive in the Miata!

My 91 is down right now getting a new timing belt and water pump. I can tell you that I am 6'-3.5" tall and around 250 and I fit. Now it is tight, but I can fit and I have a 34" inseam. There are some tricks you can use to gain some more room in the cabin to make it more roomy.

Also, as far as power.
    You don't drive a Miata like a normal car where the RPM's never get above 3K. The Miata's sweet point on that 1.6L is 4K RPMs up to 6K (it redlines around 8500!), that is where the power comes in.
    Take a look at Jay's video, his is a turbo equipped so it is a little hotter than a standard.

I will have a 91 for sale in a month or so. No rust, nicely equipped but you would have to come to Dallas to get it.

16. red57strat

17. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I have to dredge up this old thread by showing the Miata I bought today. It's a Sunburst Yellow 1992. What a fun little car. I looked a a few of them before this one, something about it spoke to me so I brought it home :)

Attached Files:

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Like that color.

Congrats.

How heavy is that top ?

19. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Thanks, the top can be handled by one person, weighs about 45lbs

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wait for next years model. They have changed the body lines and it looks more like a classic roadster and less "chickish". There will also be an Alfa Romeo version available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.