1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm jonesing for a Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, May 20, 2014.

1. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Heck, my Miata doesn't even have cup holders! I don't know when they added them.

I always thought the name "Miata" was a mistake. It probably wouldn't have mattered here in the US but the name is kinda pretty.

2. red57strat

What a great gathering of cars! I used to love going to mixed marque sportscar club events.

3. Bluto

Bluto Banned

No bud vase on the Miatas...actually there was a historical precedent for VW, from what I've read the very first bugs sold after WW2 had them too. I've heard from a few people that when Miatas are hopped up it can spoil the extremely good balance (power, handling, and brakes) of the car. I test drove a new one last year and it had plenty of power and was much more comfortable than the older ones for me at 6'1".

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

My 2001 Miata has two cup holders: one of them holds an ash tray for my De Nobilis, the other holds a can of whoop-ass to be opened when needed.

whoopass.jpg

5. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Have you tried the 'do i look good in this car' app?

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Some recent racing at Lakeside near Brisbane. The Mazdas get their go at about 2:35 in.

7. Bluto

Bluto Banned

Me too...have not done it in quite awhile but am going on a club drive tomorrow morning in the '74 TR6 I bought today. The marques will be somewhat mixed but all will be British (more or less, they used to let me tag along when I had a made in South Africa Birkin S3/Lotus 7 similar to the 7's in the photo above, Modern Minis are OK, etc. ;-)
    Really like the local British car club as it is ONLY about driving twice a month, no dues, meetings, etc...and part of the reason I didn't buy a Miata despite it being a most excellent car, have been hanging with British car and MC people off and on since the late '70's and that has been a lot of fun though some are a bit eccentric ;-)

8. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

It isn't.

What I'm knocking about the power of the MX-5 is the power of the first-generation of the cars.

If I get a Miata, and I am seriously interested in doing so, it is very likely going to be one of the first generation cars because I like the way they look, they come closer to the the traditional British sportscar feel to me than later incarnations do, and they're quite obviously cheaper to buy. Also, they're probably at the bottom of their cheapness curve right now, so now is a good time to get one, like 1983 would have been a good time to get a '65 Mustang, Porsche 914, or Datsun 240Z... They were just old used cars back then with a bit of coolness factor, but there were poo-loads of them. People bought them, drove the wheels off, didn't restore or maintain them, many wound up in junkyards or returning as Hyundais in a kind of second life... Now there aren't so many and buying a V8 65 Mustang for under 4 grand or a Porsche 914 or Datsun 240 for a tick over a grand ain't ever gonna happen again.

I see that same kind of thing happening to gen-one Miatas down the road. And even if it doesn't, I'd still have a cool if somewhat underpowered car.

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

interesting shots of Lakeside, w3stie.... I spent a bit of time there in the 70's... and have done laps in cars and bikes..

I can't remember all the trees on the right at the end of the straight before the Carousel.... you used to be able to see the guys across that part as they came up the rise and around the esses on the back part of the circuit.....
    ,, that fence claimed a few guys on that kink at the end of the straight.... high speed usually, too... that bit before the carousel is scarey sometimes if you are off line or in traffic.......

Good to see they have got the track back in use.... my older Bro races gokarts and his 2 door BMW there sometimes on club days.. :)

10. w3stie

Just a note on the styling cues. The MX-5 (Miata) was based on the Lotus Elan S2 shown here.

[​IMG]

And the Mazda

[​IMG]

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Hey W3stie , That's my son Paul's silver MX5 number 55e in the pits at 3.10 in the video and in some of the race footage following. I was there at Lakeside watching last Sunday.
    Cheers Gerry

12. w3stie

Hi chez, it looked like a good day - close and competitive racing.

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, upper 6-second range (per zero to sixty website). And look at the first models... those times are almost dangerously slow.

Mazda Miata, MX-5 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

1990 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.0 Quarter mile 16.5

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile 16.8

1991 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.0 Quarter mile 16.5

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile 16.8

1994 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.6 Quarter mile 16.8

1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 8.7 Quarter mile 16.4

1996 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter mile 16.4

1998 Mazda Miata MX-5 0-60 mph 7.9 Quarter mile 15.9

1999 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 7.8 Quarter mile 15.7

1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition 0-60 mph 7.4 Quarter mile 15.6

2000 Mazda Miata SE 0-60 mph 7.4 Quarter mile 15.6

2001 Mazda Miata MX-5 0-60 mph 7.8 Quarter mile 15.9

2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 6.7 Quarter mile 15.0

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter mile 15.0

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport (Automatic) 0-60 mph 6.9 Quarter Mile 15.4

2007 Mazda MX-5 Hardtop Grand Touring 0-60 mph 6.9 Quarter mile 15.2

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 6.7 Quarter Mile 15.0

2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter Mile 15.1

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club Edition 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 14.4

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT 0-60 mph 6.8

Not sure what the '13 Club Edition had going on... 6.0 is very good. To be fair, my comment was based on the fact I owned an early 90s model ('93 I think?). Fun to drive, but definitely needed some more balls. 0-60 in a little less than 10 seconds?? Seriously??

14. Colo Springs E

Wow, never realized it was such a dead ringer for the Elan.

15. Colo Springs E

The new(er) 2.0T Beetles with rear fin and full instrumentation look pretty mean...

[​IMG]

there's a definite Porsche influence to the looks. But there's just something about them that still makes me think 'chick car.' Making it even worse, here in the US, it's very rare to see one with a manual transmission.

16. w3stie

Well let's face it, Porsches are basically evolved Beetles.

[​IMG]

17. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

The MX5 is not a drag car. You know that.
    How often do you actually need to use 0-60?
    I can merge on any Interstate in 3rd gear to ~80. It is plenty quick for that.
    Standing starts is not the forte, they are a momentum type of car.

18. LowMo

LowMo TDPRI Member

One small caution about 1st-gen Miatas - they have foldaway headlights. Speaking as an ex-owner (6'2" and the top of my head was a little above the windshield), I like to drive in the daytime with my lights on. I learned this as a motorcyclist, that you look closer than you are to oncoming traffic, and it's just safer with more lights on. If I were to replace my old Miata, I would certainly get one with embedded headlights, and I hear that the newer ones have more cabin legroom and headroom.

But they are a blast to drive!

19. red57strat

These pics don't show how similar they look from the front, both having pop up headlights and the big open grill. Also, they don't show how much smaller the Elan was than the Miata. It was a tiny, tiny car- it was 10" shorter in length and weighed 500 pounds less than a first generation Miata!!!

It's probably obvious that I'm a Miata fanboy, but the Elan has the Miata beat in the styling department (though I don't care- I'd take a Super 7 anyday)! I'm sure it's more fun on the tight twisties (when it's running). More than almost anything, I love lightweight in a car or motorcycle.

Reliability is one of the reasons that I ended up with a Miata. I had an MGB and considered an MGA or TD but had a 15-20 minute back road commute to and from work and wanted a roadster that I could drive everyday in the summer. The Miata was flawless for that for many years (until the company moved us to a new location). I'd drive the car topless from April through November (down to about 30 degrees F). The top only goes up if I get caught in the rain, when I wash it and when I put it in the garage for the winter.

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Miata measures up very well against a lot of cars. The latest Miata has has more power than a new Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla. More than the 2.0 litre Mazda 3, or the Honda Civic (not the Si), or the Chevy Cruze, or Subaru Impreza.

These are the top selling cars in the world, and they're not "dangerously slow." Comparing the Miata to turbo Subaru models or to Mustangs or other performance cars is missing the point of the MX5.

In 1990, the 116 hp Miata had enough power to get me and my wife to 118 mph on a drive to Whistler that summer. I would think that today's 167 hp model would reach illegal speeds more than quickly enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.