1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm jonesing for a Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, May 20, 2014.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

How about the 707 hp Dodge Challenger Hellcat?

I plan on settling for the 475 hp Scat Pack version.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

All the Hellcats have been recalled for fuel leaks.

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

My favorite small car ever was a little Toyota MR2 (Mid-engine, Rear drive, 2 seater) the non-turbo base model with sunroof, not T-top. It was a five speed, two-seater. Great for the hills of rural Sussex County NJ. It was twenty-one years ago. I know because I sold it when our first child was born.

I mention it because it was another slow car that was fun to drive fast. I've had a number of beautiful cars over the years, but that used MR2 ("Mister Two", as we referred to it) has a special place in my heart. There are few cars I can say that about.

My advertising and design man loves the Miata. He's still up in Sussex County. He recently purchased a 1992 Yellow Mazda Miata with 16,000 miles on it. He had an old red one but he dumped it for the yellow one once he saw the ad. I just asked him to send me a picture. I'll post it if he sends it.

Here's the old photo of my Mister Two. I say you should get the Miata Uncle Buck. You'll enjoy it and you deserve it.

[​IMG]

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

A friend of mine has a Miata that he bought used, and he loves it.

The roommate I had when I first moved to L.A. had one of those Toyotas. It was stolen about 5 times.

5. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Those first gen MR2's are getting very hard to find. I liked them a lot but very few for sale around these parts. Found one in decent shape but it was an automatic (blasphemy).

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

The ones you travel in .......

[​IMG]

.............and the ones you meet.

[​IMG]

You just can't beat an MX5.

7. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Well, shucks.... If you were still in the neighborhood, Preacher, I'd have said, "C'mon down." SR-82 along the Illinois River from US 412 to US 62 is kind of a fun stretch of road.... In the off-season, when the river rafting operations are closed... In the daytime, when deer are not trying to commit suicide and murder by imbedding themselves in one's radiator... But on an early spring day, with the top down... Oh, yeah.. A Miata would be the thing to have. I had that very thing in mind in thinking about buying one.

In addition to a Miata, I was also looking at maybe getting another Porsche 924s (the last "fun car" I had), or a 944, or a 1999-2004 "New Edge" Mustang. The idea was "most car at the cheapest price"whether it be a Miata, front-engine Porsche, or Mustang. I wound up buying a 1999 Mustang for $1,800.00 from a franchise dealership in Tulsa that had it advertised on the 'Net for $3,900.00.

While it isn't a Miata, I'm happy with the way things turned out. I still have two kids living at home with me, so having a back seat is mighty handy. And I've been at the Mustang rodeo before, sp they're familiar territory to me, and have had lots of fun over the last few montsh modding the car to tweek it to my liking -something easy and pretty cheap to do on a 'Stang.

It's a "sleeper" in a sense. It's a split-port 3.8L 190 hp /220 ft/lb V6 and four speed auto car. I've left the engine stock -no aftermarket intake tract, exhaust has OEM stainless replacement tubular exhaust manifold "headers" rather than aftermarket ones. I did flash the ECU with a performance tune and the car has a Dynomax cat-back dual exhaust system, and horsepower is upped by 18hp with an additional 12 ft/lb torque. The tune was more to firm up shifting, disable the speed limiter, and make the speedo read correctly with a gearing change -that it unleashed more power was a secondary bonus. It has 235 /60 15 Pirelli tires on the stock alloy wheels,which I'm still using because they're the lightest Mustang wheels I've been able to find, so far. it's lowered 1.5" in the front and 1" in the back. Inside, there are plastic cubbies filling the spaces where the no longer functional Mach 460 sound system used to reside, there's a B&M shifter, and a 4pt roll bar. Mostly, it's what you can't see that improves the car -the subframe connectiors and strut tower brace, the Tokico shocks and struts, aftermarket upper and lower rear suspension control arms, new busings throughout the suspension, new front and rear anti-sway bars, the ECU flash, and the rebuilt 7.5" rear axle with 3.73 ring and pinion gears and an Auburn limited slip, the Hawk brake pads....

At first glance, it looks like any other "stock" ex-secratary / rental fleet Mustang on the road. But it doesn't sound like one (doesn't sound like a UPS truck, or a hot rodded Civic, or "too vee-sixy", either), it doesn't accelerate like one (15.4 sec 1/4 mile ET), it doesn't corner like one (.89 g lateral), and it doesn't stop like one (60-0 <120'). It still gets 27 mpg on the highway at a 70 mph cruise and it has a back seat, so I can take both my kids along for the ride.

I still wouldn't mind having a Miata someday. On the other hand, I've long had a hankering for a Caterham Super 7...... I'm keeping my "girl car" Mustang, though.. Even if I do get a Miata, someday..

8. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

My car friends think they're a chick car. My wife thinks it's a mid-life crisis car. Can't win if you're seeking validation from outside sources.

I still would like to own one.

9. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I'll probably never get a miata. Still looks fun. As far as any of the similar small sporty cars being chick cars if I had one I don't think it would look stock. I bet you could make these things look cool. I think body kits are kind of lame and look cheap but there are tons of other things you can do to any car to add a bit of personality.

I think they they look pretty good stock too. Honestly there are so many cool cars out side of the circle I normally run in I don't know what I would pick.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking very seriously about getting one of these next year. We will be replacing both of our cars, and along with a new CX-5 SUV, we want to get something small and fun to drive. I'm thinking it's time for a Miata.

[​IMG]

11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's the brand new one, no? Meaner looking, like that.

I have a question... how does the Honda S2000 compare to the Miata? Is the handling and performance similar?

12. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

They're great. But I always wished they had a little more under hood. Just a bit.

Saw the new one on TOP GEAR last night.

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always wonder why they never drop a rotary in one version.

But then again, I think they sell more of them because the engine is not intimidating.

14. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Come Spring I'll probably be selling my 2001 Miata. It's a fun car but the thrill is gone, time for someone else to enjoy it. (Of course when the snow melts here and I take it out of the garage for the first ride since November I may change my mind.)

DSCN0436.jpg

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

it was 1994 my friend got a mita for his graduation. i could not get in the darn thing. i was to tall. but he sure had a lot of fun in that car.
    the Mr2 is another car for short people. :(
    chris.

16. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

I have heard the S2000 referred to as a "Weaponized Miata".

17. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

the S2000 is a special beast ( was a engineers dream gig id imagine.. all the technology that went into that car from the ground up.. ).. hand built. probably night and day once you tune the car to your driving skills.

chris.

18. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Wow that 2016 model is very sexy.

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

S2000 has a bit more power, but you REALLY need to wind the engine up. I think the S2000 redlines at ~9K RPM, most of the power band is well above 4K RPM.

Think of the S2000's engine like a bike engine. Short stroke, it winds up to high RPM, makes decent horsepower, but torque, especially at low RPM, is lacking.

The MX-5 engines are more like 'sported up' economy engines. They have a wide power band, but dont make a lot of peak power.

The S2000's are also pretty heavy for their size.
    2750-2885 curb weight.
    That's a lot of weight for such a small increase in displacement compared to the earlier MX5's. They do seem to have slightly stiffer chassis though.
    Miata curb weights are roughly as follows.
    1st gen 1.6L - 2070lbs
    1st gen 1.8L - ~ 2100-2200lbs
    2nd gen 1.8L- 2348
    3rd gen 2.0L - 2447-2542lbs

The lighter weight and better low end torque makes the MX-5 a better handler, IMO, especially in the tight twisties. The S2000 sounds more badass winding that engine all the way up to redline. It isn't a bad overall car, I just think it is somewhat lacking, personally. The Miata just seems like a more balanced car. IMO the S2000 just looks better, on paper, because of the very high horsepower rating (~247HP @ 8300RPM -Remember I said, you need to really rev them out...) it is severely lacking, in relative torque, due to the engine's short stroke. They're not quite as 'zippy' as they might seem, although still quick cars, and very cool to drive.

20. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I reckon we've been in a horsepower creep situation - especially in the past few years. Some of the V6 family sedans available now rival the acceleration times of some of the muscle cars of "the good ole days".

Back in the mid '70s, I would have loved it if my 2002 had 150HP. I think the first VW GTI (available in the US) had like, 80HP, and everyone thought it was a demon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.