1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm in the Game! NGD 2002 '52 AVRI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jsegovia, Apr 5, 2020.

1. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

This is my very first Tele. I've been playing seriously since I was a freshman in 1974 and I've had (and still have) some great gear, but for some reason I've never really felt the itch until I guess the past year or so. Details on my experiences with Teles below, but first, here she is!

5232dec1-5c27-40df-802e-074e18fbd3eb.jpg
    58f96096-3e1e-4737-acee-7e9b854b0700.jpg
    81370307_2525173314261874_3499806435322101760_n.jpg
    81690524_2422510894522039_7031403668813381632_n.jpg
    81778395_497568610866140_1030280294017531904_n.jpg
    82264488_872840046464888_480702863006236672_n.jpg

It came with what I gather is called a 'claw hammer' bridge, ash tray bridge cover, strap, etc. Does anyone know what that small toothed metal washer looking thing in the little plastic bag is for?

e41400ac-c437-4b8f-852a-a6fa14e3397e.jpg

When I first talked to the seller he said there was also an 'oil can' that came with the guitar (I don't think he's the original owner so it must've been from another private seller). I thought it was some small thing that fit in the case and maybe held a little bit of oil for the guitar parts but it's actually some Fender Custom Shop marketing swag, a sealed, empty full sized oil can. I guess I can pry open the lid and keep guitar pics or something in there. :) I know this isn't a Custom Shop guitar so maybe the prior seller just threw it in. Coincidentally, there are also some Fender Custom Shop guitar picks in the little plastic bag that holds the case keys.

35e26ae0-ae26-4c8d-908b-7069dd030073.jpg
    cc10a7c6-9c8b-41af-a501-eab57016790f.jpg

My dad is a very hip guy - when he was young he played in a band that did Little Richard stuff. He could sound just like him, he had that amazing range and high falsetto and everything. He also had excellent taste in music. When I was a little boy, in our home were the LPs 'Meet the Beatles,' 'Introducing the Beatles,' the Kinks' 'You Really Got Me' and 'Having a Rave-up with the Yardbirds.' On the cover of this last LP was a smiling Jeff Beck holding a blonde Fender Telecaster-looking guitar (it's actually an Esquire but you can't tell from the cover). I associated that guitar with the amazing guitar sound on songs like 'You're a Better Man Than I,' 'Evil Hearted You,' 'I'm a Man' and 'Train Kept A Rolling.' But by the time I was actually playing and buying guitars I had moved on to bands like Cream and Led Zeppelin and all I wanted was a Gibson.

The first time I ever held a Telecaster was in the early 80s in a very large music store in Seoul, Korea that catered to local musicians but sold tons of used equipment, including gear obviously purchased from American soldiers. The shop owner had a brownish Tele and let me plug it into a Marshall full stack, which he proceeded to turn up all the way while I was playing it. A large crowd of Koreans gathered so I decided I'd better make it worth their while and went for it. Odd that although I'm very much a Les Paul guy, what I remember as a stock Tele with a single coil bridge pickup produced what might've been the very best (and certainly loudest) guitar tone I ever got.

I gave up playing for a while but restarted around the year 2000. I started visiting Guitar Center stores all around the country since I was traveling a lot for a client, and two things GC always seemed to have were vintage 52 Teles and cherry burst American Deluxe Teles. I was never a Tele guy - I always thought they were very plain, very much working men's guitars as opposed to the fancy Gibsons I usually played, but for some reason both of those Teles really spoke to me. I was amazed at how comfortable the neck of the '52 was. I never really liked rounded vintage fretboards but those were really a pleasure to play and I never forgot it. Around that time I bought my first Fender in a long time (a friend of my sister's gave me a '60s Mustang when I was in high school and I stupidly sold it to a friend for $50 - he turned around and stupidly sold it to a music store for about $150), an Eric Johnson Strat and that sated my Fender fix for a long time.

Fast forward to sometime last year or maybe the year before. Playing in a classic rock band, I had bought and sold Fenders and Paul Reed Smiths, held on to my favorite Les Paul and bought two more, but I just kept lingering over pictures of '52 AVs and AVRIs, and American Deluxe Teles. I foolishly started searching craigslist and Facebook Market Place for 'telecaster' and then started contacting sellers to find out more about their guitars and whether they were flexible on the price.

As some may know I finally decided on a 2017 American Vintage but I think I contacted the seller on the very day he decided he had to go into Corona isolation. I then re-contacted a guy selling an AVRI '52 on Facebook who'd taken down his ad. His guitar was still for sale and he was a little flexible on the price. I started a thread here on TDPRI to see what folks thought would be better, waiting for the all-clear and getting the 2017 or buying the 2002 now. As is clear from the photos above, I decided to buy the AVRI last week.

I am very glad I did. I'm bonding with this guitar much more than my last purchase, a beautiful 2004 Anniversary American Standard Strat in mint condition. The Tele is very different from my Gibsons but for some reason just seems extremely comfortable, like an old friend I haven't seen for years. I haven't been able to play much at full volume but it'll be great when I finally get to play it with my band.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped me with this decision. I'm a Tele player now! :)

Jesse

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great post, Jesse!

Yeah, I hear people call that spare (useless) bridge a "6 hammer saddle bridge". Hadn't heard "claw hammer" until you posted it.

Congrats!

jsegovia likes this.
  3. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

I may have misheard that, er, invented it! :)

Jesse

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congrats Jesse! what a sweet looking tele ;)

jsegovia likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

She’s a beauty! Congratulations.

jsegovia likes this.
  6. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

Great choice for your first Tele, she is pretty.

howardlo and jsegovia like this.
  7. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Drool! Very nice!

8. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Looks like you scored!!!

Caution: Telecasters can be addicting....

howardlo likes this.
  9. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

HNGD

10. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Perfecto tele! Very nice and the vibe is overwhelming. Enjoy your new telecaster, the best electric guitar ever.

howardlo likes this.
  11. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ah, a new initiate into the Fraternal Order of the Telecaster. Jesse, before you can be considered as an entered apprentice into our Sacred Order, you must first denounce any allegiance to the set neck solid body abominations from Tennessee! Secondly, you must swear that you will never disparage a brother's Telecaster because of its country of origin, color or modifications. Thirdly, you will never compare the Telecaster to its bastard sibling, to wit: the Stratocaster. Lastly, you must wear clean underwear to the initiation ceremony, as you will shown the secret hybrid picking technique of the ancient masters.

Think long and hard before answering, because once you enter...you may never leave! <Cue diabolical laugh then fade.>

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome axe!

Claw hammer eh....
    You a banjer player?

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It's often called "rattle hammer" bridge, for good resson.

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Perfect way to enter the club! Big congrats!!

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My 2005 says hello! :)

20190922_024512.jpg

LPTyler and gwjensen like this.
  17. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Always been a LP guy and got my first Tele styled guitar (an Esquire) back in Nov and it's quickly become my 2nd favourite guitar behind my alltime favourite.

Absolutely killer instruments and you're very lucky to have an AVRI!

Enjoy. It looks great and is in immaculate condition. Heres to the tele

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, looks great

19. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Nice! But it should have come with a COA?

Also, don't throw that vintage 6-saddle bridge in the bin - get yourself some vintage Strat bridge saddle height screws and swap out the middle 4 bridge saddle's screws. Then you can try the "claw-hammer" bridge and marvel at accurate intonation!

LPTyler likes this.
  20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very nice guitar, congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.