I'm in a Time Warp (and I'm Enjoying it)

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
It has occurred to me that I don’t know a single thing more about guitars than I did in 1979. Over 40 years later, and I’m hearing the same conversations/debates, e.g., Fender v. Gibson, thin v. thick picks; string gauge, locking tuners, etc. The main difference is you are chatting with several hundred of your closest friends instead of a dozen local musicians.

It’s like I never left . . . which is kinda cool.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
It’s just a jump to the left…

upload_2021-10-7_20-1-42.png

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
But now there are modelers and cabinet simulators and DAWs

Which is exactly what I am getting into now. Also, building a guitar was pretty much out of reach in the old days, but I am looking forward to giving that a try this winter (you know, when the temperature gets down to 60F and you are stuck inside the house).

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, but what do old footballs sit around and talk about?

Thier most memorable goals if course!

;)

Anyway, yes, time warp. Same words, similar voices, faces slightly different each time. The role of the heavy gauge string supporter cycling through different actors like James Bond every few years. The silhouettes of the maple vs rosewood guys present in the foreground unmoving, like the Mystery Science Theater crew, thier voices audible over the what you're actually paying attention to.

I will say that 20ish years ago, you couldn't find offsets easily at all, it was "common knowledge " that Silverface fender sucked, i was told to buy the biggest tube amp I could afford, "all vintage Gibsons " were superior to modern ones (yes, even the ones for those WTF QC years), and telecasters were country guitars. So, I've debunked my share of fiction.

Still don't know if maple, rosewood, Paul ferro, or ebony TASTE better, but since they all sound the same we should be able to move on.......

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
have repeatative conversations about guitars, amps. pedals, and the associated issues is much more definative than discussing old age body malfunctions, the horrific cures for these maladies , in great detail.

so I'll suffice it to say my bone nut may have to be filed, yup ....thats it!

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't heard rants about CBS Fenders in a while. I've seen recent rants about 70s Gibsons, but without the appropriate price decrease.