1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm having crazy thoughts: selling Martin for a Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jimdandy, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

I've into electric guitars now for a couple years. I have multiple quality acoustics. I'm thinking of letting go of my Martin HD28 to fund a Gibson SG as I don't have a hum bucker electric.

God help me...

2. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

He will.

3. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

I'd say go for it, I have two acoustics
    that do nothing but gather dust.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Is it your only acoustic?

You better put some fresh strings on and give a listen before you part with it because I see more opportunities to buy good humbucker guitars than acoustic when I cruise craigslist.

5. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

I really have too many acoustics to play, frankly. But selling one is like selling one of my children. :eek:

6. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

I have three Martins, a Gibson J-45 and a Larrivee, a tele and a strat. I could shed an acoustic pretty easily, in theory. Mentally though, I have a hard time letting go.

7. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

Problem for me is because of my limited
    skill and how seldom I play, I could never
    get a sound that was pleasing to me out
    of an acoustic. Electrics, different beast
    for me, plug in a Tele, an Echo pedal, a
    tube amp and "London Bridges" sounds
    cool...:lol:

8. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

You sound like the other guitarist in my band -- he's mostly an electric guy. I'm coming from the other direction -- played acoustics for 20 years before joining bands and getting into electrics. They are different animals, to be sure.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I sold my D35 to fund a nice electric. I'm like you, multiple good quality acoustics, just a few electrics, and nothing really high dollar. My most expensive one was free, the next one down is an MIA strat.

So a while back I wanted a CS strat. I hemmed and hawed for months over whether or not to sell the D35. I wanted one for nearly twenty years, it was huge day in my life when I could finally afford to buy it.

Then I got my custom built acoustic, made to my specs, just for me, and the D35 sat in the closet for several years. I finally decided that if I kept it, it would probably just continue to sit in the closet, so I sold it.

I didn't end up liking the strat I got all that much, and sold it on. But I still don't regret selling the D35. If I still had it, it would still be collecting dust, and somebody ought to be playing and enjoying a guitar that nice. The guy that bought it is totally in love with it, and plays it every day. It's where it needs to be. I wasn't doing it any good at all just letting it sit around.

10. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

Yeah Jakedog, that's pretty much where I'm at. I picked up a Martin D-18V last year and prefer it over my HD28. Never thought I would say that as the HD28 was my crown jewel for years (it's a 2002), but the D-18V lowers the HD28 further down the pecking order.

Maybe this is the start of me coming to grips with letting an "old friend" go.

11. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

A couple years ago I let go of a Gibson J45 after having it fo almost 30 years.Wound up with an ES 339.Absolutely no regrets.

12. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

Don't do it. Here's why: You'll sell it, get an SG and spend the rest.

Five or ten years from now your HD will have improved further in tone and will hold it's value far longer than an SG. How hard is it to get an SG? You can get one without selling one of the finest things you own.

13. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Keep the martin and just buy the sg.

14. romo

romo Tele-Meister

+1

SG's are awesome. My favorite electric guitar (besides the tele of course). But you can get a really nice one for much less than your HD28 is worth. Why not just keep it?

15. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, what he said!

have you thought about an Epiphone SG? a lot less cash, but plenty of SG muscle... my Epi SG is a great guitar, and as you can see it co-exists with my Martin:

[​IMG]

16. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Martin > SG

If you really want an SG save up for it, but at least keep the Martin until you find something better to get for it.

17. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

Alright, you guys make perfect sense. But my wife hates you all :).

18. ad720

ad720 Tele-Meister

Late to the party but agreeing big time. I see faded SGs on craigslist ALL DAY LONG for under $500. Skip the morning coffee run for a few months and you are there.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One good acoustic is plenty.
    I find that the only difference between them is that some are bigger and hold more beer.
    An SG is a cool looking guitar and you'll look cool playing it.
    Go for it.

20. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

You say you have too many acoustics to play. Why did you pick the HD-28 to sell? They are great guitars. Got anything less valuable to match up with the cheaper price of the SG?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.