I'm going to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of my life

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
A friend of mine quit drinking. And then commited suicide not long after. Not kidding.
edit
A friend of mine quit drinking. And then commited suicide not long after. Not kidding.
What i mean is addictions are a result of another illness whatever it may be. Most folks do them because life then becomes tolerable.
At this point, it is more a result of treating the mental thingie than the addictions. Or both.
I do sound clever, but i am really not. So take this with a grain of salt.
Sad, but true.
I quit drinking to save my life then commited suicide because I hated the voices in my head that were nagging and beating me up all the time.

I had to surround myself with people that encourage me, and assured me that I was a person worth being and could establish a life worth living as opposed to a person in need of killing.
Going to AA / NA meeting provided that positive reinforcement that I needed, to stay alive until I felt good enough about myself to be free of suicidal ideation. I'm not saying that I loved meeting but meeting provided enough support for me, not to commit suicide.
Early sobriety felt like being a piece of liver being pulled through a knot hole.
And it was an improvement over the pain that I experienced while drinking and using. After all, Amphetamine Psychosis isn't exactly a walk in the park.🤪😵😨

split screen horror brain.jpg

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Anyone else determined to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of their lives?

I will never again indulge in any intoxicant ever again, forever. No more ganja, no more alcohol of any type.. nothing, ever again.

Its been 3 weeks since I last indulged in the green stuff, and 2 weeks since I had my last drink of alcohol...

I miss my glass of red wine in the evenings.. but it is critical for several health reasons that I NEVER partake in any of this stuff ever again, never!

So far so good but I know there will be some rough times. I'm going to miss it when I go camping, I'm going to miss the margaritas when I go out to eat Mexican food.. I'm going to miss the beer and wine when hanging out with friends.

I've done more than I should have in the past, and survived, but it is critical that I stay 100% sober every day from now on, no matter what.

Anyone else feel the same?

Good luck ya'll...
I have been since June 1986.
Never had a drink problem, just got fed up of having hangovers. Also, my driving license was more important to me.
Never taken drugs, only addiction I have is tobacco.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congratulations. Be wary of non-substance stuff, too. Those of us with addictive tendencies are prone to excessive self- medication with whatever’s handy; video games, work, guitar forums…
Many in 12 step meetings have jokingly noted that "we GROW in recovery", because carby snacks sweets and general stuffing of the face is a great substitution.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Just thought I would post a reminder here, been a couple of days since @Big_Bend posted in this thread.

We should not ASSUME the OP is an addict/ alcoholic!

Quitting for health reasons is different.
We dont know either way!

But posting our experiences is cool as long as we dont label anyone.
Not my business to label others!

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Anyone else determined to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of their lives?

I will never again indulge in any intoxicant ever again, forever. No more ganja, no more alcohol of any type.. nothing, ever again.

Its been 3 weeks since I last indulged in the green stuff, and 2 weeks since I had my last drink of alcohol...

I miss my glass of red wine in the evenings.. but it is critical for several health reasons that I NEVER partake in any of this stuff ever again, never!

So far so good but I know there will be some rough times. I'm going to miss it when I go camping, I'm going to miss the margaritas when I go out to eat Mexican food.. I'm going to miss the beer and wine when hanging out with friends.

I've done more than I should have in the past, and survived, but it is critical that I stay 100% sober every day from now on, no matter what.

Anyone else feel the same?

Good luck ya'll...
I don't have time to read 8 pages and same as past posts - good luck. In my case I would not make such promises except for a few very realistic ones in the past to generally control my demons and live reasonably. I point that out because it created achievable goals and doing better overall. That might now work for everyone, but it's worked much better than associates who've rocked back and forth between extremes. It made life where living without or with any sort of intoxicant can work just fine.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Some people need to stay away from alcohol, others don't have a problem. Why the difference? Is it biological or psychological?

In the beginning, I think it's psychological. Ultimately though, alcohol is a GABA agonist which will lead to a very real physical dependency, to the point that it will cause tachycardia, hypertension, tremors, delirium, hallucinations, and even seizures.

I had to be hospitalized multiple times within the first year that I tried to quit.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Some people need to stay away from alcohol, others don't have a problem. Why the difference? Is it biological or psychological?
You actually crack open an interesting old assumption that has AFAIK lost favor in medical science.
Where formerly it was believed that the biological body was separate from the psychological mind, many connections have been well established that undermine that old idea.

Sustained thoughts, feelings and non-physical experiences often alter our DNA.

Psychological stress suppresses the physical immune system.

Other mental health related science includes the physical brain and nervous system based mental health problems treatable with medication that alters brain chemistry is basically biology.

But long term psychological stressors that create a depressing or anxiety provoking living environment can also permanently alter brain and nervous system biology.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You actually crack open an interesting old assumption that has AFAIK lost favor in medical science.
Where formerly it was believed that the biological body was separate from the psychological mind, many connections have been well established that undermine that old idea.

Other mental health related science includes the physical brain and nervous system based mental health problems treatable with medication that alters brain chemistry is basically biology.

But long term psychological stressors that create a depressing or anxiety provoking living environment can also permanently alter brain and nervous system biology.

What about the immediate reaction, not the long term effects? Tonight I'm going to have spaghetti with a glass or two of red wine, walk the dog and write some code. I know some other folks would end the night in handcuffs. What's the difference? Could someone who has difficulty with alcohol take some medication that would improve their ability to enjoy a nice glass of red wine?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What about the immediate reaction, not the long term effects? Tonight I'm going to have spaghetti with a glass or two of red wine, walk the dog and write some code. I know some other folks would end the night in handcuffs. What's the difference? Could someone who has difficulty with alcohol take some medication that would improve their ability to enjoy a nice glass of red wine?
Science has searched for a magic pill and not found one yet!

Addiction/ alcoholism treatment and law enforcement have spent lots of money looking for solutions, seems like science agrees treatment goals are preventing relapse rather than making drinking work for alcoholics.

There are a fringe of paid treatment modalities that claim to teach the alcoholic to drink responsibly.
My sense is that those may work for folks who had more of a lifestyle problem that included drinking, but were not actual addict alcoholics.

So for some wild party animal types, maybe so!

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member

I have long thought this for years... not all depression (or whatever) is "genetic", some of it- the actual change in brain chemistry- can indeed be caused by sustained thoughts/moods. While drugs can be a great help to break the cycle in helping someone getting out of the situation, many times only changing your thoughts- basically cognitive behavior therapy- can actually get you, and keep you, out of the dark place you were in. Brain chemistry can be changed- both ways.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have long thought this for years... not all depression (or whatever) is "genetic", some of it- the actual change in brain chemistry- can indeed be caused by sustained thoughts/moods. While drugs can be a great help to break the cycle in helping someone getting out of the situation, many times only changing your thoughts- basically cognitive behavior therapy- can actually get you, and keep you, out of the dark place you were in. Brain chemistry can be changed- both ways.
True AFAIK, just not always.
Similarly and possibly depending on the individual, working the 12 steps including the whole community thing where you also guide newer members through theirbown stepwork, is comparable to CBT and other modern non meds psych treatment.
I started with drugs & alcohol as amlittle kid who as brought to all the parties and never to playgrounds.
Tried to quit from age 16-38.
Wanted to use and also to kill myself every day for the first year.
Lots of stepwork though, all desire to drink or drug is gone and even hanging out with family gatherings of drinking parties it just looks totally unattractive.

I also know a lot of "us" who have PTSD, BPD, and even bipolar, who genuinely changed, but in general those other therapies are needed for those other mental health problems.

IOW the 12 steps dont treat PTSD, BPD or bipolar, but 12 step work sure improves chances of success in other treatments for "dual diagnosis" folks, like say vets with PTSD and substance abuse problems or abused women with BPD and addiction.

Unfortunately, terms like depression and anxiety are medical terms but refer more to symptoms than the medical part. Hard to discuss outside of specific cases.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
“You must acquire the trick of ignoring those who do not like you. In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid, and the envious. The stupid will like you in five years time, the envious never.”
Peer pressure to start drinking again is like those peer encouraging me to commite suicide for their approval.
I don't need their approval what I need is a new peer group.
"DIE FOR US!" f*ck you, get lost.
Oh yeah, that I did, made some new friends. I only need to hear it once "Go on, have a drink, you know you want one." Not cool! Hey @ping-ping-clicka, where is that quote from?

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
@Big_Bend mentioned some health issues which added to his reason(s) to quit drinking.

Weird little side note to my sobriety:
I quit drinking because it was getting out of hand and affecting my mental, emotional, spiritual and moral health, as well as my relationship with my wife—other people, too, but she’s the one that “counted”…

Ultimately, I was tired of being drunk, and I decided to do something about it. My physical health didn’t seem to have any issues.

About a year after I quit drinking, I was given a physical and complete blood work panel for a new job. Passed the physical just fine—in fact they said I was in great shape, even for a young man (I was 29)…

One thing that was noted in my blood work: my liver enzymes were bad. They tested them several times, and each time it was bad. A couple of years later, I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. The doctor was confounded because I was slim—5’11” and around 170 pounds.
They said I had the liver of an obese man who’d abused alcohol for 40 years.

Now, I know I drank a lot in my 14-year drinking career (age 14-28), but not *that* much.

Now, 24 years later, I still have a fatty liver (and I’ve gained a little more weight than I would like and I’m at 190 at the moment). One doctor told me to go on a super-lean diet and get down to about 150 pounds, which would make me look like a javelin and unable to carry my 72RI Tele Deluxe, much less my amp, so that’s out of the question…so I sit and wait to see if my liver is a time bomb waiting to blow up on me or if I’ll just always have a fatty liver. I’m exercising regularly and trying to get back to 175-180, and just stay as healthy as I can.

But abuse of anything—drink, drugs, food—will sometimes circle around on you and create a new issue. I’m so glad the OP has a handle on it now.

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
Just thought I would post a reminder here, been a couple of days since @Big_Bend posted in this thread.

We should not ASSUME the OP is an addict/ alcoholic!

Quitting for health reasons is different.

Hello everybody,

Again I really appreciate all the replies, prayers, support, suggestions, and personal stories! Very much appreciated.

Personally I am not an alcoholic, I have -never- been drunk in my life (seriously). I do not see the need to go to any AA meetings or get a sponsor.

The chronic has been my vice for 40 years, since I was in high school. Pretty much every day ever since, spending around $1000 a month. I've been wanting to quit off and on many times but never could make it stick for more than a few weeks... I have been a terrible example for my children when it comes to ganja.

But back in March I came down with a bad case of Epilepsy.. and last week I was diagnosed with Depression. I wrecked my old truck bad recently and totaled it. I cannot drive for the next 6 months at least (or swim or bike ride). My doctor said it would be best if I -never- smoked or drank ever again for the rest of my life, that it can only harm me, mess with my new medications (4 of them, plus vitamin supplements), it would only make things much worse.

This depression has been pretty bad too.. it has made my job very difficult, sleep has been a big problem, I haven't been able to remember so many things, and I haven't felt like playing any of my guitars in over a year. It does run in my family too. I'm hoping that staying 100% sober will help relieve all this and more.

So these are the main reasons I'm quitting everything, forever, one day at a time.

Thank you to the moderators for not locking this thread! I know this thread has been on the edge, but I hope it can stay open because it has been very beneficial for me, and others too sounds like.

This is a great community... Good luck to everyone on their journeys. There is much to be grateful for.

Take care... peace

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
In other news, I just got a major tooth extraction a couple of hours ago.

No prescription pain meds for me!
bless you, when they french fried my throat with radiation I took morphine sulfate as directed and had told my Doctor that I was an addict in recovery We all keep a close eye on that, there was no problem.