I'm going to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of my life

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I will NEVER NOT say I'll NEVER take another drink, (take a sec and figure out the triple negatives) but I wish you every success in whatever you decide to do. There have been quite a few threads on this subject lately, and I'll simply repeat what I've said before......I "objectively" feel I am in adequate control of my drinking alcohol. I never drink and drive, and I never drink and gig. I rarely drink in social gatherings, because decades ago I did it to an extreme, and made a complete fool of myself.
But, unfortunately, there are times that some personal situations encroach on my emotional contentment, and a drink or two takes the edge off. I'm not going into details, but trust me.....a stiff drink is the lesser of evils.
Good luck on your journey.....all of you. ;)

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A man's gotta do.... Good luck brother! If there is one thing I've learned, it's growing old ain't for the meek.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
11-05-1990

Quitting isn't the problem.

Staying quit is.

When I wanted to learn tennis, I found people who knew tennis and they taught me how.
When I wanted to learn golf, I found people who knew golf and they they taught me how.

Same with sobriety.

All the best, and keep us posted.

R.
Getting sober with or without help is confusing.

Why would we need to be taught how to not do something?

Frame it like say, tell a man to not like women or seek their company any more.
Tough to do!
For me I think the hardest to quit was the least harmful that is recently legal. I quit that so many times and kept going back to it.
Took a while but now all the chemicals used to make life feel better just seem foreign and unattractive.
And yeah I did join a couple of 12 step communities then stuck with the one thats not the one my father chose.
Old men talking about how much they drank?
Nope!
Not for me!
Hung around there awhile though...

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
I had my last drink on Christmas 2020. I never decided to quit, but I just got tired of always being tired and uninspired to do anything. Drinking was something I never did halfway, and over the course of 30 years I caused a load of damage. Glad to have left it behind me.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Hey BB, good job taking the 1st step!!
As the yoda said "there is no try, just do or do not"
I quit smoking about 35 years ago and it only happened when I did it cold turkey. I had told myself many times before "I going to try to quit"..... never worked. One day I crushed my fresh pack of cigs, threw them in the trash, and never went back. One of the most difficult things I've ever done.

Good for you!! Keep it up!!

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Sincere best of luck (or determination), my friend. I managed to kick cigarettes after 25 years. Kicking any addiction or life-altering behavior changes are difficult but bring great rewards.
Kicking any addiction or life-altering behavior changes are difficult but bring great rewards.
Yeah man ! I'll drink to that! No that was just the voices in my head , oops! 🙄 that.
You go it right, life altering behavior is so so true.
hqdefault.jpg

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Why would we need to be taught how to not do something?
plenty of examples come to mind:

Placing one's elbows on the table while eating
Belching
Farting

all things that come naturally, yet things a cultured person does not do.

Not if others are around to observe, anyway.

A bachelor must develop their own personal code, according to what they themselves deem acceptable/appropriate

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
plenty of examples come to mind:

Placing one's elbows on the table while eating
Belching
Farting

all things that come naturally, yet things a cultured person does not do.

Not if others are around to observe, anyway.

A bachelor must develop their own personal code, according to what they themselves deem acceptable/appropriate
Slay All Day is a good code, though some balk at attempts to behead them, so swordslay in moderation!

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I need to weigh in here on this. I’m 45 or so years sober. Not from any 12 step program or associated program. My family are all participants in AA. And I used cannabis a lot in my younger years. Being ADD I’ve self medicated for it all my life with caffeine, coffee, colas, energy drinks. Bad diet and the above caused fatty liver disease and gave me a liver transplant. Alcohol will do the same thing.
You don’t want a transplant. It’s hell, for me, to recover from.
That being said, I couldn’t give up my beer with pizza or tacos. A non alcoholic beer takes care of that craving. We use my beers for beef carbonara, a wine for maranera sauce in pasta. I’m not giving my bourbon for my BBQ. Those are flavors I refuse to loose.
I’m currently having appetite issues and my liver team has asked my to try cannabis. For me to get the munchies takes an awful lot, and due to my 45 or so years of sobriety, I hate getting stoned. Besides 3 bouts of pneumonia with 2 of them in the hospital I can’t smoke it any more.
Even with my short attention span I love to be alert and aware of what’s going on. Being a mechanic one must be meticulous in prep and assembly. Musically speaking I can’t see being playing buzzed have any allure to me.

Good luck on your new quest BB.
✌🏻❤️

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Anyone else determined to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of their lives?

I will never again indulge in any intoxicant ever again, forever. No more ganja, no more alcohol of any type.. nothing, ever again.

Its been 3 weeks since I last indulged in the green stuff, and 2 weeks since I had my last drink of alcohol...

I miss my glass of red wine in the evenings.. but it is critical for several health reasons that I NEVER partake in any of this stuff ever again, never!

So far so good but I know there will be some rough times. I'm going to miss it when I go camping, I'm going to miss the margaritas when I go out to eat Mexican food.. I'm going to miss the beer and wine when hanging out with friends.

I've done more than I should have in the past, and survived, but it is critical that I stay 100% sober every day from now on, no matter what.

Anyone else feel the same?

Good luck ya'll...

More power to ya, Allen. I'm almost in your camp, though I can't say I'm 100%.

It may have come up when we met at Garner, but if it didn't, I'm a diabetic. But I'm a diabetic that through my doctor's encouragement was able to bring my diabetes under control by diet and exercise alone. In 2020 my doctor took me completely off medications.

One of the ways I maintain that to this day is not drinking alcohol. It probably wasn't as hard for me to do as it is for others. I wasn't much of drinker to begin with. I intentionally limited my drinking to amounts prior to the point of intoxication. I never did cocktails or hard liquor, and I never could develop a taste for beer. (I actually tried to develop a taste for it in my teens, but in my early 20s it hit me: "Why am I still trying?!?")

For many years also, I wouldn't drink when eating out, since I was driving. So for the longest time, I would only have a glass or even just a taste of wine on special occasions, particularly on our anniversary. I still reserve the right to have a glass of wine or champagne on our anniversary or at some wedding celebration, but otherwise I too am alcohol free.

Oh, and I haven't done "the green stuff" since I was a teenager.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I will NEVER NOT say I'll NEVER take another drink, (take a sec and figure out the triple negatives) but I wish you every success in whatever you decide to do. There have been quite a few threads on this subject lately, and I'll simply repeat what I've said before......I "objectively" feel I am in adequate control of my drinking alcohol. I never drink and drive, and I never drink and gig. I rarely drink in social gatherings, because decades ago I did it to an extreme, and made a complete fool of myself.
But, unfortunately, there are times that some personal situations encroach on my emotional contentment, and a drink or two takes the edge off. I'm not going into details, but trust me.....a stiff drink is the lesser of evils.
Good luck on your journey.....all of you. ;)

I've mentioned several times, lots of the things I once did were enriched by me having alcohol with them. One of the simplest, was looking into the fireplace on a cool evening, and drinking some good ol' Jack Daniels. Fireplaces have been pretty much outlawed in California, and I don't drink. I miss both of them. I miss them, but I'm not about to indulge in either. I will say, I'm glad I got to enjoy the times I drank when things went smoothly.

LocoTex

Tele-Afflicted
I'm totally onboard. I've found out after many years that I function best with no foreign substances in my body. No drink, no drugs, no tobacco......nothing. My mind and body just are better tuned with the intake of only clean air, water and wholesome food. Whooda thunk it, right?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've mentioned several times, lots of the things I once did were enriched by me having alcohol with them. One of the simplest, was looking into the fireplace on a cool evening, and drinking some good ol' Jack Daniels. Fireplaces have been pretty much outlawed in California, and I don't drink. I miss both of them. I miss them, but I'm not about to indulge in either. I will say, I'm glad I got to enjoy the times I drank when things went smoothly.
The fireplace bit, I guess you could get a video with a fire, and hopefully it has the crackling sounds, too. As far as a replacement for the Jack Daniels?.....maybe take a handful of Tylenol PMs......and then whack yourself on the head with a hammer several times in the morning......;)