I'm going to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of my life

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My life got a whole lot simpler when I quit trying to just use a reasonable amount and took all of that stuff off the table completely.
115F76CC-E217-4475-ACCB-EB51C2C672A3.gif

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Made that decision in ‘99 I would not be alive now if I had not done so. I will tell you that I lost “ friends” over it, I just couldn’t hang around the same crowd anymore. Find a real mentor, somebody that truly cares about your making the change. I did the AA and AN thing but never found a group in my area that I bonded with, but in going to those meetings I did manage to run into an old classmate I hadn’t seen in years and he really helped me through some rough times. The one thing I did pick up from the meetings is the one day at a time mantra, when starting out that small goal was easier to obtain. The thing that really helped me turn the corner was when I realized I was having fun and didn’t need to be wasted while doing it.
Hang in there BB, it will get easier.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't drink, and I will not drink again. The end of this year will make twenty-five years since I've had a drink. I don't do anything else either. Anything that alters one's consciousness makes ME weaker in dealing with life. Some of the things I've faced during my abstinence, I've needed every ounce of strength I could muster.
oh so golf, had nothing to do with it, huh? come on fess up. Don't be coy.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Made that decision in ‘99 I would not be alive now if I had not done so. I will tell you that I lost “ friends” over it, I just couldn’t hang around the same crowd anymore. Find a real mentor, somebody that truly cares about your making the change. I did the AA and AN thing but never found a group in my area that I bonded with, but in going to those meetings I did manage to run into an old classmate I hadn’t seen in years and he really helped me through some rough times. The one thing I did pick up from the meetings is the one day at a time mantra, when starting out that small goal was easier to obtain. The thing that really helped me turn the corner was when I realized I was having fun and didn’t need to be wasted while doing it.
Hang in there BB, it will get easier.
Had to relearn how to have fun, not so much how to but how not to.
Just old ingrained dumb belief that drunk ir high improved anything.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah moderation is for those lightweights who cant grok us fight to the death psycho's. Or OCD just one more-ons.
oh that's easy for you to say, now, please what does moderation mean ?
I mean I never could do anything in moderation, there just was enough to be moderate with .
If you know what I mean ?
I know when I lay down tonight and wake up in the morning it won't be a nice cuddly bear who's name I don't remember that knows how to drive.

Attachments

• brown bear.jpg
    brown bear.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 6

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome to the dark side. Now you’ll be able to completely witness all of the dipstick moments your friends and family will have in their times of stupor. Like having an arsenal of blackmail.

But seriously though, congratulations on your decision and progress this far. I quit in 2006. Yes, there were challenges. Some really difficult ones that would have given most people a reason to drink. But I’m glad I was sober for them. My wife asked for a divorce 8 months into sobriety. The cheek. She didn’t like me drinking and evidently I wasn’t terribly appealing sober either. I needed my wits about me as a newly single dad to an awesome 4 year old daughter.

Social events aren’t that bad. Soda water and lime was my thing for years. Eventually I moved up to Shirley Temples (not joking either), but there’s a whole world of non-alcoholic alternatives. My drink of choice when available is chinotto - kind of a bitter citrus Italian soft drink.

Good luck to you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. I certainly did at the time.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Welcome to the dark side. Now you’ll be able to completely witness all of the dipstick moments your friends and family will have in their times of stupor. Like having an arsenal of blackmail.

But seriously though, congratulations on your decision and progress this far. I quit in 2006. Yes, there were challenges. Some really difficult ones that would have given most people a reason to drink. But I’m glad I was sober for them. My wife asked for a divorce 8 months into sobriety. The cheek. She didn’t like me drinking and evidently I wasn’t terribly appealing sober either. I needed my wits about me as a newly single dad to an awesome 4 year old daughter.

Social events aren’t that bad. Soda water and lime was my thing for years. Eventually I moved up to Shirley Temples (not joking either), but there’s a whole world of non-alcoholic alternatives. My drink of choice when available is chinotto - kind of a bitter citrus Italian soft drink.

Good luck to you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. I certainly did at the time.
I do know that keeping a chimney glass in my hand with soda and twist of lime helps me and other remember that I'm having my favorite drink . If I happen into a venue I immediately order a bottle sparkling water, and keep that drink in my hand, I hold the bottle like sa talisman.

Oxidao

Tele-Afflicted
I wish you success on your aim.

Quitting some of my addictions here and there through life, taugh me that it is quite hard to be so categoric if you are true.

1st step checked ok
Keep on!

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Anyone else determined to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of their lives?

I will never again indulge in any intoxicant ever again, forever. No more ganja, no more alcohol of any type.. nothing, ever again.

Its been 3 weeks since I last indulged in the green stuff, and 2 weeks since I had my last drink of alcohol...

I miss my glass of red wine in the evenings.. but it is critical for several health reasons that I NEVER partake in any of this stuff ever again, never!

So far so good but I know there will be some rough times. I'm going to miss it when I go camping, I'm going to miss the margaritas when I go out to eat Mexican food.. I'm going to miss the beer and wine when hanging out with friends.

I've done more than I should have in the past, and survived, but it is critical that I stay 100% sober every day from now on, no matter what.

Anyone else feel the same?

Good luck ya'll...
Be strong and determined and you will succeed, I'm pulling for you! ( after a while you will forget all about it entirely, like it never happened) just think of all the money you will save !