I'm going to stay 100% sober every day for the rest of my life

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Some have said that it is important to only quit drinking for a day. For me, that didn't mean anything, because when I went out in a truck, especially when I was hauling fuel, that meant I couldn't drink again until I came off shift. You ran the risk of going through the scales or being stopped by a D.O.T. truck every time you were in the seat. If caught driving a truck, and drinking, the fines and penalties are doubled. Besides that, you were immediately fired.

So, quitting for a day didn't mean anything to me, I had done that many times. Quitting period is what I had to do, and that is what I did. By the time I quit, I was no longer driving a big rig, but the penalties if I were caught would be just as severe because I still had my class one license with a Haz Mat endorsement.

I quit cold turkey and alone. I started drinking on my own, I figured I could quit the same way. Wishes don't mean or do anything, but I wish I had been that Charly Do Gooder who never took his first drink.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
But why, back in the closet, that is? Why not outta the house?

You never know! You just never know…

One of these days I may spark back up again (after 22 or 23 years ) and find out if it really helps with inflammation or pain or whatever it’s supposed to do.

The “high” part ? I did that daily for about six years and did about everything you could do while high (swimming and climbing trees were personal favorites).

Anyway - back to not partaking !

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
You never know! You just never know…

One of these days I may spark back up again (after 22 or 23 years ) and find out if it really helps with inflammation or pain or whatever it’s supposed to do.

The “high” part ? I did that daily for about six years and did about everything you could do while high (swimming and climbing trees were personal favorites).

Anyway - back to not partaking !
Mmm. Best left in the closet then.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I reckon @ping-ping-clicka was referring to the oft stated 12 step program suggestion that we change up our old "playmates and playthings".

This is just one more of the many kind of key things, that we may or may not learn in 12 step recovery, depending on whether we choose to compare our differences, or instead identify with our similarities to other members stories.

Overall the more we resist the process of change and try to do all the same things but without the substances, the less likely we are to succeed.

Note that we may give ourselves a year or two living quite differently and may then once no longer craving our old crutches, try going back to old drinking or drug using friends and places.
But finding a new way to live often results in LIKING life without bars and drunks and stoners etc.

So thats what I think was meant and why.

Last edited:

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I've always found it fascinating, and wondered what the "how" of it was, that alot of people need to "take it one day at a time", or use some kind of program, while others simply...stop. Boom. Done. And with little effort. No dying to get a drink/toke/whatever of what they had before, they just make a decision, and that's that. The mind is an extremely fascinating thing.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Depends on the strain but - yes, I get your point.

Don’t I know it.

Sometimes I’ll just look at a gigantic big bud of it , all covered with jewel like crystals of resin and think of how quickly it would have been gone when I was 17 and then ?

I put it back in the bag so the smell of the menstruating skunk doesn’t leave my music room and I put it in another bag and then another bag and seal it up tight and throw it back in the closet. 🙄🤣
Depends on the strain yes, but we are more discussing the recreational strain used recreationally.

As for the other strain that isnt fun but cuts pain and anxiety, even that is a medical product, so if our doctor runs tests and comes up with a treatment plan that eliminates or excludes both strains/ all those products; the pop belief that its goid for everyone is no different from the pop gluten free trendy pop quackery.

My former shave cream went AWOL and I tried a new product with a hemp ingredient. Great stuff!
Less discomfort shaving, but I dont plan to keep it with me and use it all day!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've always found it fascinating, and wondered what the "how" of it was, that alot of people need to "take it one day at a time", or use some kind of program, while others simply...stop. Boom. Done. And with little effort. No dying to get a drink/toke/whatever of what they had before, they just make a decision, and that's that. The mind is an extremely fascinating thing.
Yeah I think gluten free is again a good example of this seemingly confusing fact, one which causes so much debate because everyone who has no medical diagnosis feels a need to give medical advice based onnthe belief that either everybody is "sick" or nobody is "sick".

A gluten free diet is needed if you have Celiac disease.

Meanwhile all the folks talking gluten free who had no Celiac disease are like all the folks who easily quit booze and drugs because they had no disease of addiction.

If you easily quit and stay quit, you dont have the disease of addiction.
If you find it hard to quit, you may or may not have the disease of addiction.
If attempts to quit and/ or using keep making your life worse and worse to the point where repeated losses of things you need and love; doesnt result in quitting; THEN you probably DO havebthe diesease of addiction which medically includes alcohol dependence and chronic destructive use of any recreational substances.

Further confusing is judges sending non diseased individuals to AA meetings for OUI/ DUI.
The judge isnt making a medical diagnosis, just using tools at their disposal.
But that means lots of folks stating that "AA didnt work" (for them), along with reports that they sobered up on their own or they are still drinkin'!

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Good luck with your decision. Habits are tough to change. I never really quit but I have gradually done less and less. No reason, I just lost interest. Sorry I don’t have any advice. I guess I don’t like being buzzed that much. Can you have a cigar when you go hiking. They keep the bugs away

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well the OP said his Doctor firmly stated that quitting weed was essential to his personally prepared medical professional treatment plan.

Hard for any of us to set a level of importance quitting chronic recreational use of a mood depressant, if we are not medical professionals?
True, I don’t claim any special medical knowledge - my daughter is a doc, but I’m not. But I’ve known enough folks with clinical depression and they all needed much stronger stuff than the lack of weed to learn to manage it. I don’t doubt that quitting weed may be one essential step, but I doubt it would be enough by itself in many cases.

FWIW, weed is the only thing I ever had any need to quit and trouble quitting (40+ years ago). But it wasn’t physical - it was social. My social life was so wrapped around getting high with people - when I was able to unwind THAT, I was able to quit pretty much overnight…

-Ray

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I reckon @ping-ping-clicka was referring to the oft stated 12 step program suggestion that we change up our old "playmates and playthings".

This is just one more of the many kind of key things, that we may or may not learn in 12 step recovery, depending on whether we choose to compare our differences, or instead identify with our similarities to other members stories.

Overall the more we resist the process of change and try to do all the same things but without the substances, the less likely we are to succeed.

Note that we may give ourselves a year or two living quite differently and may then once no longer craving our old crutches, try goung back to old drinking or drug using friends and places.
But finding a new waybto live often results in LIKING life without bars and drunks and stoners etc.

So thats what I think was meant and why.
I didn't use in a vacuume. The architecture of my addiction included people places and things fellow co-dependents restaurants,bars, clubs, peoples houses, Friends and lovers, work ,were I worked my coworkers the customers I was friends with from work. The way that I went to work and the way that I walked home. All of the parts formed the structure of my addiction.
In order for me to be able to break the mind forged manacles that were the structure of my addictive behavior I had to disconnect the aspects that formed the matrix of my addiction.
I stopped seeing my friends, I changed jobs I moved into a new apartment in a different part of town I went shopping at a different stores for groceries, I changed laundromats.I went to different coffee houses, I went to A,A. meetings, N.A.meeting Alanon meetings. I immersed myself in a totally different living environment.
I understood that my mental physical,and spiritual health was what was at risk.
I look now and see a very radical "program of change" , I also so see how very addicted that I was, and understood that half-steps weren't gonna make it. That was a while ago, it seems to have worked at least for today and yesterday.
A new way of living is what I needed and I made the commitment to pursue that end.

fatina smalll.jpg

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I skipped ahead on this thread (away for a while)

For Me, I quit one day @ time, as I was encouraged to start small, not look at "forever", but just 24 hrs ahead.
YMMV