I'm getting old I guess.... loud music sorta irritates me lol

Synchro

Tele-Holic

First off, I want to thank you for posting that video featuring my band. as you can see, we came in third in that competition and the band is on hiatus, because one of the members is serving a prison sentence for harming a microbe during that contest. We warned him, but he couldn’t be stopped. We think it might have been caused by preservatives in the lunch he ate that day. At least that’s the theory we’re presenting at his appeal. :)

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I have always hated loud music, even when I was young. The only thing I turn up loud is my Marshalls and I have always worn earplugs for that.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't been to an unpleasantly loud concert in like 15 years. It's not like I haven't been to loud concerts after that, but not where the ears ring after the show. (Actually, I did go to a super loud one after that, and it was in an office building lobby.)

From the posts on here, it seems those kinds of levels are still common in America.

I hated that when I was young as well, but it's not like I could have set the rules.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Saturday, I'm playing just a freebie neighborhood 'cul-de-sac' jam tomorrow-

it's kind of an old-band reunion jam for kicks, on the drummer's street...he put it together. ( 3) bands- all new-ish

The thing I'm not looking forward to, is he wants me to ' just sit-in, play some leads...' with his other new band,
- and they are super loud! ( I've rehearsed with them before, and just did not enjoy- I'm more old R&R too, when it comes to music taste)
I did not want to turn him down, or be a buzzkill about the volume, with a band I'm not even in.
So I will just deal with it, tomorrow for just a ( long) set. Earplugs

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I ruined my hearing playing loud, so I suppose I deserve whatever torture others dish out, but it's pretty obvious now that (1) you should not assault people physically with high volume sound, and (2) you don't need to. PA systems can be insanely good, delivering plenty of beautifully audible sound without shredding your ears. And good solid bass can give you that body feel without punching your eardrums. The mind does initially equate volume with good tone, so you have to beware of that. I love loud, assertive music, but unless you're just a dope, you don't need to hurt people to deliver the goods. And to every sound guy who is overly enamored of the ability, now, to get incredibly detailed highs I have to say that you need to stop that crap.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I have always hated loud music, even when I was young. The only thing I turn up loud is my Marshalls and I have always worn earplugs for that.
I’ve never understood the reason for excessively loud music. I do understand that you can’t have a concert at living room volumes, but there’s no need for ear-splitting volume levels. Back in the ‘70s, I went to some concerts where I suffered a noise hangover the next day, and I think that is ridiculous.

Likewise, when I drive, I don‘t crank the radio up high. that has never made sense to me. For one thing, it’s not safe to have the volume so high that you can’t hear what’s going on in traffic. Besides that, it has always seemed very rude to me to have the radio volume so high that normal conversation is difficult.
I ruined my hearing playing loud, so I suppose I deserve whatever torture others dish out, but it's pretty obvious now that (1) you should not assault people physically with high volume sound, and (2) you don't need to. PA systems can be insanely good, delivering plenty of beautifully audible sound without shredding your ears. And good solid bass can give you that body feel without punching your eardrums. The mind does initially equate volume with good tone, so you have to beware of that. I love loud, assertive music, but unless you're just a dope, you don't need to hurt people to deliver the goods. And to every sound guy who is overly enamored of the ability, now, to get incredibly detailed highs I have to say that you need to stop that crap.
Our ears are as important as our hands, as musicians. We need our hands to play music and we need our ears to hear what we play. Both are worth protecting.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Here our local gas stations have 'upgraded' the pumps with maybe 10 inch screens that blare commercials at you LOUDLY while you fill up. It drives me crazy and a pox on the person who had this bright idea.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Here our local gas stations have 'upgraded' the pumps with maybe 10 inch screens that blare commercials at you LOUDLY while you fill up. It drives me crazy and a pox on the person who had this bright idea.
I see it here, too. I hate it.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Hyperacusis is a hearing disorder that makes it hard to deal with everyday sounds. You might also hear it called sound or noise sensitivity. If you have it, certain sounds may seem unbearably loud even though people around you don't seem to notice them. Hyperacusis is rare

I believe I have this. Basic noises upset me and I find them offensive. I also have misophonia. I wear these for everyday use sometimes; https://us.loopearplugs.com/products/experience

On a not unrelated note - there's a Shoppers Drug Mart near me and the volume of their self checkouts is offensively loud. Like, it feels like it's banging my eardrums. I assume it's loud so older people can hear it...