I'm getting old I guess.... loud music sorta irritates me lol

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Life shows up, always an interesting thing. I lost all the hearing in my right ear, so loud music is only half bad

kuch

Tele-Holic
Let me clarify. If I'm going out to actually see a live band, I'm good with loud. If it's so loud it hurts my ears or even if it doesn't hurt, if I'm worried it's loud enough to cause damage.... I'll plop in some earplugs. Rock 'n roll!

I'm talking about being places where loud music wouldn't normally--at least, in my mind--be expected.

A friend and I like to occasionally hit this one sports bar to catch a game. Personally, if there's a big game on--ie, a playoff game, something like that--I'd rather have NO music playing, and have the broadcast on. But I can live with it if that's not the bar's preference and they'd rather play music... so long as the frikking music isn't ear-splitting loud! By the way, not just talking about music I dislike. Sometimes, they are playing a really good mix of music... but even with the good selections of songs, it's just too loud for my liking. My friend and I actually have to elevate (I won't say 'yell') but elevate our voices to be heard.

I'm I the lone curmudgeon on this one? Daaaaang I'm old! lol
I didn't read the whole thread.

I'm with you bro. It irritates me if music in a bar of restaurant is "too" loud. Man, we're getting old! ;)

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah good to know I'm not alone. I figure its another example of when you get older you gotta listen to your body. If it says too loud then its too loud.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Let me clarify. If I'm going out to actually see a live band, I'm good with loud. If it's so loud it hurts my ears or even if it doesn't hurt, if I'm worried it's loud enough to cause damage.... I'll plop in some earplugs. Rock 'n roll!

I'm talking about being places where loud music wouldn't normally--at least, in my mind--be expected.

A friend and I like to occasionally hit this one sports bar to catch a game. Personally, if there's a big game on--ie, a playoff game, something like that--I'd rather have NO music playing, and have the broadcast on. But I can live with it if that's not the bar's preference and they'd rather play music... so long as the frikking music isn't ear-splitting loud! By the way, not just talking about music I dislike. Sometimes, they are playing a really good mix of music... but even with the good selections of songs, it's just too loud for my liking. My friend and I actually have to elevate (I won't say 'yell') but elevate our voices to be heard.

I think you're about the same age as me. I have been railing about this for a few years. Go to Chipotle, way too loud, the gas station, etc.

With the masks and 1/4" plastic I finally had it (cause I couldn't hear) and complained to Sheetz (chain of gas stations). They called me back and asked "which location". I said all of them and they told me the employees liked the music. Sigh.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I think you're about the same age as me. I have been railing about this for a few years. Go to Chipotle, way too loud, the gas station, etc.

With the masks and 1/4" plastic I finally had it (cause I couldn't hear) and complained to Sheetz (chain of gas stations). They called me back and asked "which location". I said all of them and they told me the employees liked the music. Sigh.
There’s a time and a place for everything. I love certain Classic Rock, but I wouldn’t have it on in the background when I was on a conference call. Business is business and that requires a different standard than less formal situations.

I have few conditions imposed upon my work environment. I work remotely, probably > 95% of the time and, with the exception of being on a phone call, I would be free to listen to any music I wished … but I rarely listen to music while working, even if I’m doing something very simple. I impose this restriction upon myself, because I want to keep my head in my work, and not be distracted.

A cashier in a gas station may have a lot of dead time, and I can understand that some music might help, but I have a hard time believing that this couldn’t be handled with an MP3 player and a headset.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I've been at shows in smaller venues where the sound is so loud, and so poorly mixed, that I literally could not tell there was a drummer in the band if I closed my eyes. My wife is used to me bitching about the sound at shows, which seems to be pretty bad more often than good.

We saw Tedeschi Trucks in a large public auditorium, and there was a huge bass thing going on that just ate the rest of the sound. I was watching the bass player and the keys, but I couldn't make it fit either of them. I finally figured out it was one of the kick drums, miced and processed all to hell. If we weren't 2 hours from home, we would have left. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but the too loud, crappy sound ruined that show for me.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
You’re not alone. I dread bar and bat mitzvahs because the inevitable hip hop DJ is brain bleed loud. It doesn’t seem to affect the kids but older adults spend a lot of time trying to find someplace to hide.
“Somebody scream for Sher-ry!!!”

I’ve photographed about 750 to 1,000 bar/bat mitzvahs in your area. I’ve lived your pain.

The best photography jobs were a good bar/bat mitzvah, where the kids were nice, the parents were chill, and the grandparents backed off. The worst photography jobs were bad bar/bat mitzvahs, were the kids were all arguments for retroactive vasectomies, the parents acted like social climbers afraid of their friends’ opinions of the party, and the grandparents would tug at you while other work needed to be shot, yelling, “Photographer! Photographer!”, and asking to shoot photos of all their friends - when the host and hostess have told you specifically to ignore such requests.

Oy…

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My biggest issue with loud music is TV shows or movies. They seem to prefer you cant hear the actors now days.:mad:
As far as music goes, get rid of the drummer and the music suddenly becomes balanced and tasty. Light handed drummers are a real find and hard to find. As soon as a guy brings in a 6" deep chrome snare I ask for the check!
Get off my lawn!

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Last night, really loud sub bass from bar jukebox playing some sort of bad rap made me feel nauseated.
Submarine low frequency noise connected to agressive behavior, migrain headaches, digestive problems among sub crews

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Last night, really loud sub bass from bar jukebox playing some sort of bad rap made me feel nauseated.
Submarine low frequency noise connected to agressive behavior, migrain headaches, digestive problems among sub crews
Funny it happens to me with muzak. It is like i need to get out of that supermarket real quick, otherwise i am going to sick all over the place. And sweats. And i don't feel so bueno.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I must be getting old because I keep turning the music up for some reason. Not loud enough, my son says it is too loud though 😆😅😂🤣

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's

We saw Tedeschi Trucks in a large public auditorium, and there was a huge bass thing going on that just ate the rest of the sound. I was watching the bass player and the keys, but I couldn't make it fit either of them. I finally figured out it was one of the kick drums, miced and processed all to hell. If we weren't 2 hours from home, we would have left. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but the too loud, crappy sound ruined that show for me.
I hate that kind of sound. I've heard Tedeschi Trucks several times, and they've been better than that. But the last time we saw Los Lobos, the kick drum and bass were pushed so hard you pretty much couldn't hear the vocals, which sort of ruined it for me. I like Conrad Lozano just fine - he always seems happy to be on stage - but I don't need to have him make my liver shiver.

D.H.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I agree. I’ve basically lived in bars for most of my life. It’s where the majority of the work is. Playing in loud bands, and hearing them typically doesn’t bother me as long as it’s in that context. Jukebox? Turn it up. We’re in a bar, it’s supposed to be a party.

Out of context? Forget it. I want quiet. I rarely ever turn my TV up past “10”. If I’m having trouble hearing quiet dialogue I’ll put on the captions. But I won’t turn it up or the louder parts drive me nuts.

I’m around (loud) music almost every night. Have been for 35 years now. At this point, I do not listen to music at home or in the car. Pretty much ever. I treasure my few hours of relative silence until it’s back to my ears being assaulted.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
As a teenager in the mid-late 60's, we'd go to local, small town, dancehall venues, try not to get too drunk, and listen to bands so loud that you had to almost yell into people's ears to be understood. We never gave it a second thought.

For many years now (decades actually), I have a low tolerance for live loud music (subjective, I know) and except for concerts by someone like Gordon Lightfoot, I won't go to any of them, and don't care who it is.

As a sidenote, I also won't go to a movie theater any more. I don't recall what the movie was, some kind of 'action thriller's or something like that, but it was SO loud that, after I got my hearing back, I swore movie theaters off, and haven't gone back to one yet, and it's been at least fifteen years.

Maybe this is why I generally play relatively soft, slower, music myself.
Where DO you go?

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I don’t go to bars anymore, but the music in my neighborhood can get really loud.

Only one neighbor has ever complained, though. And it wasn’t me.

I turned the music down for him that one time. And he’s never complained since. Though I did once see him cursing me out to his wife on at least one occasion. Well, that’s what it seemed like anyway.

It was kinda hard to tell exactly what he was saying, even though he was yelling.

More on point to the thread, I agree with the OP. There is much too much excessively loud music at too many shops, offices, bars etc.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted

Not alone. Personally, I can't stand sports bars, or I should say the mega sports bars. I'd rather hear the game, but I get it when you have 30 games going on, that's insanity so might as well play some crappy bro-country. Someone needs to tell them though, that the song doesn't get better as it gets louder, even in a crappy sports bar.

I wear plugs for all live music now after I started developing tinnitus. Trying my best to keep it at bay.