I'm getting old I guess.... loud music sorta irritates me lol

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Let me clarify. If I'm going out to actually see a live band, I'm good with loud. If it's so loud it hurts my ears or even if it doesn't hurt, if I'm worried it's loud enough to cause damage.... I'll plop in some earplugs. Rock 'n roll!

I'm talking about being places where loud music wouldn't normally--at least, in my mind--be expected.

A friend and I like to occasionally hit this one sports bar to catch a game. Personally, if there's a big game on--ie, a playoff game, something like that--I'd rather have NO music playing, and have the broadcast on. But I can live with it if that's not the bar's preference and they'd rather play music... so long as the frikking music isn't ear-splitting loud! By the way, not just talking about music I dislike. Sometimes, they are playing a really good mix of music... but even with the good selections of songs, it's just too loud for my liking. My friend and I actually have to elevate (I won't say 'yell') but elevate our voices to be heard.

I'm I the lone curmudgeon on this one? Daaaaang I'm old! lol

Doctor of Teleocity
I was on a tractor for most of the day today. Even with ear protection, it affects me. Sometimes I will be on a chainsaw, wood chipper, string trimmer, backpack blower, pressure washer, etc.

After work, I have less tolerance for noise, especially if it is meant to spur mating or inebriation rituals. I especially despise news and advertising, I’m so much fun at parties, I’ll see myself out.

Last edited:

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Let me clarify. If I'm going out to actually see a live band, I'm good with loud. If it's so loud it hurts my ears or even if it doesn't hurt, if I'm worried it's loud enough to cause damage.... I'll plop in some earplugs. Rock 'n roll!

I'm talking about being places where loud music wouldn't normally--at least, in my mind--be expected.

A friend and I like to occasionally hit this one sports bar to catch a game. Personally, if there's a big game on--ie, a playoff game, something like that--I'd rather have NO music playing, and have the broadcast on. But I can live with it if that's not the bar's preference and they'd rather play music... so long as the frikking music isn't ear-splitting loud! By the way, not just talking about music I dislike. Sometimes, they are playing a really good mix of music... but even with the good selections of songs, it's just too loud for my liking. My friend and I actually have to elevate (I won't say 'yell') but elevate our voices to be heard.

I'm I the lone curmudgeon on this one? Daaaaang I'm old! lol
I'm with you on this. The volume is way too loud in most places now, and the music selection is usually annoying.

I've taken to bringing earplugs with me to the grocery store because I can't stand the mainstream pop music they play, and I recently asked the hygienist at my dentist's office to turn down the music.

A couple years ago I was at a mall store with my son looking for a suit for him. They were blasting nightclub music so loud it was hard to talk. I asked one of the employees if she could lower the volume and she told me the sound system was in a room she couldn't get to. I told her that's ridiculous and, look, this isn't a nightclub it's a clothing store and I'd like to be able to talk without raising my voice. Then I left.

The only place I've been to of late that had tolerable music at a reasonable volume level was Hobby Lobby.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Hyperacusis is a hearing disorder that makes it hard to deal with everyday sounds. You might also hear it called sound or noise sensitivity. If you have it, certain sounds may seem unbearably loud even though people around you don't seem to notice them. Hyperacusis is rare

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Since the late '70s or so I have not liked loud. And I guess after my distortion period way back then I have since played clean.

Have walked out of several small venues that the music was just nuts in volume.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I sat in a doctor's office for quite awhile yesterday afternoon, while my wife was back there getting some testing done.

Whatever mix or loop they had going on there in the lobby was much too loud for my tastes.
Worse yet, they played mostly songs from the mid-1970's, songs that I had come to hate (back in the day) simply because they were over-played on the radio stations of the time.

I am reluctant to name any of them, for fear of offending anybody, but man it was terrible.

At some point, I came to realize that
a. nobody in the lobby was even listening, as they were all glued to their ironically-named 'smart phones'
and,
b. there was a Volume Knob on a control panel, right there on the wall next to the master light switch.

I would get up every few minutes and stretch, and wander around looking at the artwork on the walls.
Turned it down from 7 to 6.

Got up a couple minutes later, stretched, picked up a pamphlet for some Rx medicine, and turned it down from 6 to 5.

Eventually, the volume level was just right, and nobody yelled at me for monkeying with the volume control.
And, a bonus, I managed to straighten three or four artwork frames and certificate frames on the walls that had been crooked.
That sort of thing really drives me crazy.

Welcome to my world.
I'm gonna shut up now.
:confused:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I’m okay with loud-ish music outside of a concert (concert is fine, no limit for me), like in a bar or something. Not yelling loud, but a little raised voice or close convo loud is fine. But I know some people who take it too far during situations like car rides and that to me feels as wrong as getting drunk in the middle of the day on Wednesday.

What really drives me up the wall is loud dialogue and sound effects in shows, ads, movies, etc. A lot of old folks (including my parents) losing hearing will blast the TV and it’s really grating to me. I can hear the TV of the old guy two doors down. Generally I keep content with dialogue to around the lowest volume that’s clear/comfortable. The theater can be kind of weird and annoying too - sure, a war movie is going to have loud effects, but is there really a need to hear a scene in a small space with quiet talking at 90db?

Last edited:

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
As a teenager in the mid-late 60's, we'd go to local, small town, dancehall venues, try not to get too drunk, and listen to bands so loud that you had to almost yell into people's ears to be understood. We never gave it a second thought.

For many years now (decades actually), I have a low tolerance for live loud music (subjective, I know) and except for concerts by someone like Gordon Lightfoot, I won't go to any of them, and don't care who it is.

As a sidenote, I also won't go to a movie theater any more. I don't recall what the movie was, some kind of 'action thriller's or something like that, but it was SO loud that, after I got my hearing back, I swore movie theaters off, and haven't gone back to one yet, and it's been at least fifteen years.

Maybe this is why I generally play relatively soft, slower, music myself.

Last edited:

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Agreed. I have had the same problem at sporting events. I want to watch the game not be pinned in my chair by the loud music.

I don’t even like the screaming sports announcers on ESPN.

Last edited:

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
It’s always bothered me regardless of age. If I’m listening to music, I love it loud (Though I will say that I have always felt, since I started going to concerts as a teen, that they misplace emphasis on volume rather than quality, and at certain volumes it just can’t sound good to the human ear). But if music isn’t the center of attention, why make it so loud that you can’t hear anything or anyone else?