I'm Falling For Heavy Relics!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:08 PM.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have a relic (not heavy) 61 Strat and a 57 NOS Strat. They are both Wildwood 10 CS models. The relic treatment is okay but not outstanding. The guitar itself is fantastic. The NOS is gorgeous with beautiful grain. I like both.
    Relics, whether they are light, medium or heavy can be good or bad. Some heavy relics are stunning while others are underwhelming or fugly. It’s like any finish option: some are better than others.

Double Stop likes this.
  2. standup

standup TDPRI Member

I did this one myself. Relic’ed by playing it for 30 plus years and resting my forearm in more or less the same place. Pick guard is brass with 30 years of patina.

Attached Files:

aging_rocker, hemingway and Red Ryder like this.
  3. Red Ryder

Red Ryder TDPRI Member

I have three guitars I bought new in 65, 66, and 67. They should signs of wear some pitting on chrome, scratching and dings but basically all the finish is there. Looking at what people call relics makes me wonder if I should scrub off half the paint on my 66 Silverstone Silhouette cherry red with a brick or sell it and let some nimrod destroy a beautiful old ax.

4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Had a 2011 Fender Road Worn Blonde tele with the heavier relic. I just got tired of the look. Just traded it with a Squier Strat and some money to upgrade to a Fender A V 50s Hot Rod blonde Telecaster. I was fine going away from a relic to a great clean looking player.

Double Stop likes this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was side by siding a heavy relic and a NOS of the same style.... The NOS has flame maple neck and was quite sweet BUT....that seemed to be the other end of the spectrum...dressing up a Telecaster with fine woods with lots of figure.....

I don't think there's anything wrong with either but after looking at dozens of relics most aren't done so well. The one I have my eye on actually has some weird gouging on the back at the string guides...Who takes an ice pick there! Like a chicken pecked at it! Guy shoulda stopped while he was ahead as the rest is super cool and unique!

6. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

B4A6E046-668A-4029-AA4A-8BFC11C52A04.jpeg 1783D668-61A5-49C5-AC4F-7FEF8C4E521E.jpeg 5152F0B1-527B-42DF-BFC1-D12660858B35.jpeg
    However, Fender did do a Thinskin nitro exclusively for Wildwood here: https://reverb.com/item/40470814-used-fender-american-vintage-thin-skin-1972-telecaster-deluxe

These were made just before Fender came out with the new Cunife WRHB. I actually called Wildwood and they said they could put in a set of the new Fender Cunife WRHB ($200 a piece including labor) though if wanted. Pretty nice deal which would end up being $1,999 for a MIA Deluxe (which are what latest MIA “Customs” are going for). Better still since it’s got the thin skin nitro. If this had a walnut finish, I would’ve jumped on it.

posttoastie and knavel like this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

if relics ever go out of vouge, a lot of folks are going to take a huge bath.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Like those pointy shredder guitars of the 80's? Who buys a modern production guitar thinking they're protecting their investment?
    I'm one of the those guys that didn't like relic finished guitars. Just didn't like the look of them I was more concerned with appearance than I should have been. Its a dam guitar not a piece of furniture.
    A friend of mine had a Masterbuilt heavy relic Nocaster he was selling. He wanted me to have a look at it. I said I was not interested. He brought it to my house anyway. He offered to leave it with me for a while. I initially said no that I'd never be interested but I let him leave it. It sat there on a stand for about a week before I decided to plug it in. First off I was blown away how comfortable it felt in the hands. It just felt like a well worn in pair of slippers that I never want to throw away no matter how awful they look. The neck was and still is the best feeling neck I've ever played. Just the right chunky sized U, not too big and not too small. It felt like an old well worn comfortable neck. I still didn't much like the looks of it. Although while playing it live I had a couple young girls that commented how "bad ass" it looked. So maybe I was alone in its "ugly duckling" appearance.
    When I was in the market for a custom shop 52 tele I looked at heavy relics but wanted something that looked less worn but still had a comfortable feel. I ended up with a journeyman relic, which for me is the best level of wear and still feel relatively comfortable. But not as nice as the masterbuilt nocaster. After doing a little bit of light sanding of the neck and fingerboard I did get it closer in feel.

9. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The market wants what the market wants. Some of the "super heavy relics" look amazing, others not so much, but I can definitely appreciate the work that goes into them.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I have absolutely no problem with anyone liking what they like, and that includes relics. Live and let live, who cares as long as there is great music being played on those instruments.

11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

5200 dollars for this CS but very nicely done. Black over Sunburst. Wish it was mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 9:10 PM
  12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing my main guitar for 35 years- plenty of time to relic it. And here I've been careful to keep it in good shape! The Imron car paint won't wear off! What a drag!

13. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've owned a few heavy relics over the years. They feel so smooth and comfortable to play -like a pair of loved and much worn slippers. In my case at least, though, they are always the ones I've moved on from first. It should be the ears and hands that decide: If it sounds good and plays good then keep it. However the eyes hold sway and they inevitably get flipped. Fortunately second hand to third hand price differentials tend not to be huge but it's a hassle and took me a fair few years before I learned to avoid the attractions of the rough bit in the corner (of the guitar shop, obvs).

Heavy Relic 52 Tele with Gibbie humbucker
    [​IMG]

Heavy Relic 55 Black over Desert Sand
    [​IMG]

Early 59 3 tone Sunburst Heavy Relic
    [​IMG]

14. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Light relic Mario Martin. My favorite electric. Felt like an old friend from day one. D8875CF5-BC0C-4AB3-A463-4ED37FFD3A3C.jpeg

Double Stop likes this.
  15. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I love pretty much any level of relic from the custom shop really. Finally tracked down a precision bass, just happens to be a heavy relic. Definitely feels well worn in! 3AE61299-6949-4313-B15E-EB9275ACD6FB.jpeg B8436B7D-50AA-4BE1-A675-98B63ABBCB03.jpeg

16. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    CIMG0232.JPG

Jackadder likes this.
  17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I bought a poorly relic’d strat and had it refinished by a Strat-Talk member.

8ED139F9-C99C-43E8-99C5-FC53D765987A.jpeg DBEB63F0-1AAA-48DD-B825-C24CE677537F.jpeg

18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Heavy relic lovers, a question: If you came upon two 1957 Telecasters, one immaculate and one beat to a heavy relic state, which one would you want the most?

Texicaster likes this.
  19. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Which ever one played and sounded better? ;)

rodger, Texicaster, Jackadder and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.