I'm Falling For Heavy Relics!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:08 PM.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

¡Bueno!™

After not quite being against them but confused about the concept I'm really starting to dig them!

I've been considering getting down to one killer Telecaster and been looking at Limited 70th Anniversary Broadcasters. The non relics are cool AND cheaper but I can't figure out why I want the relics....heavy relics even!

I make jewelry and while I rarely relic it I always make it look older; never bright and shiny. If I'm bored I'll even relic tools for fun! I recall getting a geologist pick and it it was shiny steel and coated in lacquer! I stripped the lacquer and soaked in it a bucket of water for a few days! I've doing this with stuff for years! Even did it with some custom cabinets I made. For some stuff it really makes a positive difference....

But for guitars....Why am I drawn to these...?!

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

It’s easy to think that heavy relic guitars are common, but they’re not. Take any guitar down from the wall at GC and there are thousands just like it. And there are thousands of cheaper look alike guitars. Assuming that you’re looking at Fender Custom Shop, each heavy relic is unique. Think of a fine oil painting where each brush stroke is planned and deliberate. A custom shop heavy relic was created just that way. Mine is a Strat. I think you may appreciate the artistry.

7A4AB6DA-FEA6-4DF6-ABBC-1323CC0526A8.jpeg

3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

4. Texicaster

Cool!

Yep Fender CS! I looked at a few Nachos too, Super cool! Nacho takes it to another level with the grime!

I think this is what's doing it! I've looked at a BUNCH of relics and some are very cool and others no so much. You start to see the pattern Fender CS uses even and then deviate from that! The one I have a serious eye on looks unique!

Looking at even Journey Man doesn't do it for me.....

I think I found one I really like! I had found one and think it sold out from under me as I looked at it!

5. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never really been a fan of relics but like you, Texicaster, I'm also coming around. Building a '57 tele at the moment and after googling up some old '57s I've become obsessed with this beauty....

57.jpg

hemingway, sotob, Fendereedo and 8 others like this.
  6. Texicaster

That's pretty cool!

Once you accept them for what they are instead of being fakes of vintage.....

CV Jee Beez and JL_LI like this.
  7. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

I like relics. They generally feel o more comfortable. In general they seem louder than their non relic'd counterparts. It took mea month before I realized my daughter had drawn on my tele with a ballpoint pen thanks to the relic job.

vgallagher and Texicaster like this.
  8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

But why don't those who like the relic plug into something like this?

I don't get it.

DSCN1292.JPG

Don Rich Rules likes this.
  9. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Because the amp has to suit the purpose its being used for?

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Somebody's gotta do it, I guess.
    :confused:
    Not my thing, but if it works for you, cool. :cool:

SRHmusic likes this.
  11. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

B457224E-2285-44D4-B807-D174EA35BA5C.jpeg 795F6A10-87B4-4E7D-A908-D1EF5F718A8D.jpeg E1EAD7D8-7082-4F9C-8021-2EE4320CF980.jpeg 402CB662-CBAF-4875-AD63-9B21F1FCE5EB.jpeg 8B6404D4-5AF2-412A-9141-99F90C11D2F4.jpeg EDA67741-5AEC-40A8-9DEA-CF89E0CB70D9.jpeg 9D93F312-5949-49B3-8C87-81834922AC13.jpeg 8319298C-3CE6-4F12-8087-7C3FAFA053BF.jpeg 1259B884-66C3-432C-8E57-AF6CDBD7757F.jpeg E929E4AB-51ED-4549-86C4-78C1E3B4078B.jpeg
    I love relics but am very particular and quite picky about them. But, I’m like that with any other guitar, too, as most of us tend to be.

I own the 70th Anniversary Broadcaster Custom Shop but it’s NOS, not a heavy relic. I also have several other Journeyman relics (‘62 Strat, ‘53 Tele, ‘55 Tele). My Shelton Galaxyflite III has a heavy type of relic, though not as extreme as the FCS heavy ones. I’ll probably pick up a heavy relic in the near future, too.

They’re wonderful guitars. I think you’ll be very pleased with them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:20 AM
    hemingway and Fendereedo like this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Whatever you like is great. To my eye, virtually every single relic, and notably the heavy relics, just look as fake as they are. It's the pretentiousness of the fakery that I don't like (not hate, not get would up over, etc -- just not like.) Some relics, fake playwear aside, look beautiful; most don't. I do like (very much) the rubbed surfaces and the rolled fretboards. But the general appearance? Yeesh, give me a really nice clean vintage white Fender over that fake "worn" Strat any and every time. My favorite relics are older used guitars. I wonder why they look more real?

Fendereedo and SRHmusic like this.
  13. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Wow, that’s very nice indeed.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Jackadder

She's an absolute beauty, but no chance I'd even attempt to replicate that wear, it would end up an object of derision.

15. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

How so? You mean you wouldn’t be able to technically replicate that? BTW, is that your personal Deluxe Telecaster on your avatar? Is that a Koa body? It’s friggin’ gorgeous.

16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

If it is shiny it has NEVER been used. Actually I am a Geologist and my olf pick is not relic... is used

17. Jackadder

I've never done a deliberate relic before :rolleyes: and the paint-flaking on that beauty would be way beyond my capabilities...

Yes, my Deluxe. The top is Gidgee, a mighty heavy Australian desert hardwood. It's chambered, but still a beast!

Deluxe.jpg

18. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

That's nice, I could live with that

19. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

A factual point in favor of relics, at least those actually produced by Fender, is that the process requires the finish be nitro.

It's for this reason that since Fender has not/will not released an American Original 70s Telecaster Deluxe, I bought the new CuNiFe humbuckers and put them in the Vintera roadworn Tele Deluxe--so I could have nitro finish.

20. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

The really good relics are fantastic. But way out of my pricerange. They are pieces of art in a way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.