I'm embracing minimalism, becoming a tech nomad, will live on the road

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Nice rig!
    I love to travel!

After you leave Dwights' head east a bit and you can stay at our place. We've got a few acres, I'm sure we can find a semi level spot for you.

C F Martin is a little over an hour away, and I haven't taken the tour in a few years. I'll drive, and buy lunch.

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

My Gibson WM45 acoustic goes with me everywhere.. and I believe my Squier Classic Vibe Thinline with the Bill Lawrence pickups will be the electric... love the thinline!

Jim622 and william tele like this.
  3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Good for you. It's a trending thing. People are starting to realize "houseless" is not the same thing as "homeless." I've been doing a lot of motorcycle travel, always camp, no motels, and never find it any kind of hardship. And it's cheap! I'm pretty sure I could live that way.

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I met a couple in S.C. who retired and sold everything, bought an RV.

At the time I met them, they had been on the road for over 20 years.

Not sure that would be for me.

5. Big_Bend

Thank you for serving our country!!! You've done the real camping.. I'm just an amateur poser lol.

Beach camping is definitely on the agenda, tho I plan to mostly stay in cooler mountain states like Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.. then head back to Texas for the Winter. I would like to eventually make it as far East as Key West and Nova Scotia, but will probably spend most of my time in the West. And I just got my passport renewed and would love to travel throughout Canada and head to Alaska at some point.

Thx for the Omaha invite!! Just may take you up on the offer someday. :)

Take care...

6. Big_Bend

Nice, love Uvalde!! I spent a week camping (and working) at Garner State Park a few months ago, usually went into Leakey at a biker bar with wifi for lunch. The Texas Hill Country is awesome....

When driving out to Big Bend from Houston I usually stay on I-10 all the way to Ft Stockton, but occasionally take the Hwy 90 road back. I'll give you a shout next time I'm passing through.

Take care...

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Big_Bend

Hi Larry,

Awesome R-Pod! Congrats.. let me know when you're heading out camping or going to Big Bend, maybe our paths can cross someday.

Take care... Allen

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

We head out for a short getaway/long weekend every month. On those short jaunts, because they are short and because we live so far down in South Texas, we limit them to staying in Texas, again, at Texas State Parks and Natural Areas, or boondocking on our family farm up north (about 45 minutes southwest of Ft. Worth).

My wife isn't retiring yet. She's the owner and operator of the Corpus Christi Birth Center, and she has midwifery staff, so she takes time off each month, and wants to really get away and be on the road when she's got time off. Her vacation time will be 2 weeks each year, and so we will take longer trips once or twice a year.

At some point we will be going back to Big Bend, just don't know when yet. Five years ago this month is the last time we were there, and we stayed in Terlingua. Next time, we want to stay in the Big Bend and Davis Mountains State Parks.

Oh, and if your beach camping plans bring you to Corpus, give me a heads up. We can have you over. I wouldn't mind trying that Gibson WM45 of yours, and you can check out my collection of Logan Customs. One of them even has Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups.

Big_Bend likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

If you have connectivity, you can DBA from Mars if that’s where you want to be. I used to deal with Oracle instances running in CA and NJ. The main DBA sat somewhere in Western Canada. Good luck to you. Your life choice is certainly worth trying.

Big_Bend likes this.
  10. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Good article. I can see this happening now in my community where I live. I'm 62 and I will need to keep working. I teach private music lessons ( 45 students of all ages). Long hours, but I like doing it.
    Watching what I spend, too. I wish we could live off the grid, like the OP.

11. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

For a beautiful ride through mountains it's hard to beat the drive from Banff to Jasper in Alberta. And you can continue right on through to Alaska.

Big_Bend likes this.
  12. Big_Bend

This link shows all the optional accessories. I got the external hot water shower, which is all I need for use in the back country. I plan to mostly use campground facilities and my Planet Fitness membership for showers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.