I'm embracing minimalism, becoming a tech nomad, will live on the road

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Aug 20, 2019.

1. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I can't see us living full time in our camper but all being well about three months of the year on the road once Mrs Baby takes retirement and I do contracts ( lot of ifs and buts to get there yet). I sometimes watch YouTube clips of full timers in the UK, Europe, USA. Definitely better set up for it on your side of the pond; quite a few people seem to stay mainly on Walmart car parks although I think that would get old quickly. The one youtuber I was watching had joined a national gym chain so she could have a long shower and maybe a sauna every few days on her travels all within a fixed budget which seemed like a nice idea.
    Hopefully you'll post some pictures of the finished vehicle before you start your travels.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

If you get to Northern Colorado, you can use my parking spot since I don't have a car! You could probably get a few days in before the resident manager came snooping around. No hook ups, but you could use the 'net and bathroom as needed. There's a natural area, bus routes and a good grocery store close by.

telemnemonics and Big_Bend like this.
  3. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

sounds like fun.good luck and happy trails!

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

NIce! What axe gets that the honor of tagging along.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I tried the minimalist thing years ago....called it the Marines, but your living arrangement looks nicer.

I applaud you for pulling the trigger on your plans, I think about doing the same thing all the time, but want a Quigley converted cargo van (4x4 conversions). I spent 17 years in the Marines sleeping on the ground in deserts, arctics, mountains, jungles, and all points in-between but at some point I just wanted a place to stay put and have air conditioning. If I were to follow in your footsteps, it would be to keep myself near the ocean as I was always a beach comber type.

Sounds like a great adventure and if you pass through the Omaha area...you are welcome to crash at my place.

6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Congrats for embracing your dreams. I wish you a lot of fun in this exciting adventure!

Big_Bend likes this.
  7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

I dig that. Best of luck, maybe make this post an ongoing blog to keep us updated where you are?

Big_Bend and Milspec like this.
  8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Sounds fun, keep us posted.

9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a great adventure - a 2019 version of 'Then Came Bronson' :)
    You can go from town to town fixing database issues while at the same time solving problems for the people involved. I'd watch it - good luck.

rodger, Big_Bend and aerhed like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You're living the plan!

The van nomads often get their 'physical' address set up in in SD, TX, NV, or DE then use a mail forwarding service to get it wherever they are at. Some of those choices change the sales tax equation. So investigate that, I saw youtube videos a couple years back on the details.

If you plan to stealth park ... see what you can do with the camper to make it look like something else when down, target is a construction site work truck.
    One converted Sprinter van had those PVC pipes with caps mounted on both sides of the roof rack to conceal both the solar panels and the fan powered roof vent 'that gives away all the stealth campers' -- and look more like a work truck on a project. Some more ideas in this video.

Big_Bend, RLee77 and tery like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That sounds pretty cool!

12. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I love this idea. In Toronto the rents are so high now that since my divorce and my youngest son moved out I'm living in a boarding house room. Everything I really need is here - two electrics and one acoustic, two amps and a small pedal board.

Retirement is just a few years away. Since I've already simplified it would be an easy transition to "going mobile".

esetter likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

get a good knit cap.

Big_Bend and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fun, travel, adventure!
    Just like the Army!
    Just kiddin, BB.
    Sounds great!:)

Milspec likes this.
  15. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Given the cost of living here in Silicon Valley (no, really!), it is no surprise that more and more folks are living in RVs, while working here. It has actually become a problem in several South Bay cities (Mtn. View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, etc.) because they are parking on residential streets. I think it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

If you come near Uvalde on your way to the actual Big Bend I'll buy you lunch (or whatever meal)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Big_Bend likes this.
  17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I once thought that my wife and I would enjoy the camper life. We both love to travel and seeing the country by highway. I LOVE to drive. However, after retiring and doing some one week, two week excursions...we've both realized that we value a "home base" to come back to.

I did some bumming around before I got married and I thought maybe I could recapture that freedom. Not gonna happen... I'll have to stick to just leaving the nest for a week at a time when the road calls.

Best of luck to you on your adventure!

stevemc, P Thought and Milspec like this.
  18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yep I just moved to Reno from Silicon Valley (Santa Clara), work 100% remote now. Such a relief to be out of that overpriced (ridiculously so), high state taxed, overcrowded, traffic-jammed area.

19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Great idea. Time to travel mate. See the world, meet new people, make a few bucks allong the way & if you don't like the neighborhood just turn the ignition key.

Big_Bend likes this.
  20. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I live in a tiny house with three cats.
    I gave up the car 1-1/2 years ago and ride my bike, if I need to go further I use the bus and its bikerack. If I need a car, I'll rent one (haven't yet).

No gas
    No insurance
    No repair cost
    And, no more nice Audi

I want an e-bike.

Big_Bend and 2 Headed Goat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.