1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm down to two pedals for my live rig, and it feels good.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Jul 27, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I agree that tweaking knobs all the time is annoying in a live setting. However you could set them to where you like them and mark the pedal. Usually once you get them set you should not have to change them, at least not in my experience.

Jackghost and black_doug like this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

this is why you have multiple drive pedals on a board.

3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Me!?!?! I only usually have one drive/compressor and two phasers set to different speeds.

Jackghost likes this.
  4. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

I just use my guitar volume knob to get another lighter dirt sound. I don’t need much more then clean, OD and Distortion.

5. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

I never change the settings on the HM-2 haha. I also don’t need much more then it. If I do I also have a DS-1 and a Tubescreamer clone. At the most I would ad the TS9 clone to the board with the HM-2 and reverb, but I think the volume down on the guitar gives me a good enough OD tone and I’m running my amp and the HM-2 so hot that I don’t need to gain stack really.

6. cyclopean

having different dirt pedals lets you stack them in combinations, and then you're not aiming for "oh wait is this my volume knob at 60% or 70% open?".

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Arafel likes this.
  7. cyclopean

the only settings people ever change on those is level to get it to unity gain.

Jackghost likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I image looking at your beautiful pedal board, that you are employed a NASA, and or your a guitar playing tap dancer or both. Simplicity, well that all depends on ....:cool:

dragon-chopper_hd (1).jpg

9. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

I max the level. It has three different gain stages if you sweep through the level knob, almost like power amp distortion, which makes sense because it was the original Marshall in a box. Hence why Entombed and Dismember’s tone was so brutal, the got the HM-2 into that third gain stage and then used it to overload the amps front end. The DS-1 is the same with the three gain stages in the volume sweep. Which makes sense since it was the template for the HM-2.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

One dirt pedal but two phasers?
    Something new on the TDPRI!
    New to me at least...

igor5 and Jackghost like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is the HM-2 anything like the Marshall Shredmaster?
    I'dbuy an HM out of curiosity but the prices are high.
    I have an original Shredmaster and can't get on with it.
    Just curious really, I can like some true high gain sounds but finding a pedal that does it well eludes me.

Actually the Metal Pedals brand Bomb Shell does high gain sounds I like but isn't quite metal sounding, despite the brand name.
    Not a metal player but there's some cool sounding circuits in that gear genre.

12. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I played in a blues band for awhile and didnt use any pedals, just a Marshall 401 combo.

I play in a cover band now and we play Radio Head and Johnny Cash, so there is really no way to do that without pedals.

So, it really depends on what kind of music you play. I would love to go back to playing "all one kind of music" because my pedal board would be a lot smaller.

igor5 likes this.
  13. cyclopean

huh. i'll have to play around with that. i don't think the hm-2 sounds anything like a marshall, though. those at the gates tones don't really sound like ac/dc and early metallica to me.

i'm using the behringer clone and i have a clean boost after. mine may be dimed on all the knobs on my board as we speak and i'm just not remembering it.

14. cyclopean

two phasers and not trading one out for a flanger or chorus seems weird to me, but whatever works for you works for you.

the behringer clone sounds awfully close in a lot of shootouts and is dirt cheap. there are also other fancier clones of it and even a byoc kit version. it's a very specific sound that does a few things better than almost anything else does them but may not gel with how you play. it does a very specific crust/metal tone and some shoegaze bands have gotten quite a bit of mileage out of it. i love how it sounds going into a flanger for my death rock band.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. cyclopean

every time i have my volume at anything less than max it just turns into mud city, which means you disappear in the mix.

16. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Going straight in is what works for me. Chorus, other pedals work for others. I have a foot switch when I use my amp's killer vibrato.
    I'm plenty prepared with an amp, cable and guitar. (and tuner) Different strokes...

17. donrichfan

I'm old with a limited vocabulary. replace depeche mode with the newer version if you please.

18. donrichfan

Ask ANY pro who does studio work and tours, and the 'no pedals' discussion simply doesn't come up. They use the right tools for the job, period.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, I have always loved the sound of my old amp and have never fully gotten around to putting pedals between us. I've used a delay and comp here and there, and a Beano, other dirt now and again, but really love the brown Deluxe without condiments.
    I was just having fun with this post, anyway... no friction intended.

Ignatius likes this.
  19. cyclopean

this song came out thirty years ago!

here's a more modern take on something similar:

donrichfan likes this.
  20. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I have always loved the sound of my old amp and have never fully gotten around to putting pedals between us. I've used a delay and comp here and there, and a Beano, other dirt now and again, but really love the brown Deluxe without condiments.
    I was just having fun with this post, anyway... no friction intended.[/QUOTE]

None detected :). And if I was fortunate enough to to have a Brown Deluxe sitting here, I can promise you that I’d be spending time playing it with no pedals. I’ve never had the pleasure of playing one but I’ve heard some amazing examples.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.