1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm down to two pedals for my live rig, and it feels good.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Jul 27, 2020.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i don't bother capitalizing almost anything typed on the internet unless it's for some kind of formal purpose.

what's condescending about classical music not doing a damn thing for me? if i want to listen to something with a ton of moving parts i can put on a sun ra record.

2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Whatever you prefer, @cyclopean. You don’t have to agree with me, believe I either have or do not have talent of any sort, or enjoy the same music - or anything else - that I enjoy.

I will, however, call out disrespect when I see it. And I believe that condescension is disrespect couched in educated language.

TL;DR: You do you.

Delmerson likes this.
  3. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm going in the other direction:
    No pedals for the first two decades.
    Modded TS-9 only for a few years, then a Boss GT-3
    And in the last decade a BUNCH

Arafel likes this.
  4. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Tab Benoit
    1972 Tele Thinline
    Category 5 amp
    No pedals

Says all he has to say about pedals at about 2:35.

5. cyclopean

i'm not being condescending.

[​IMG]

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Back to pedals...I go back and forth on this.

I love the palette of sounds we can get from them and am impressed at both the players who use them well, and those who sound great without them.

But it's the surprises at gigs that push me toward a "less is better for me" mindset.

When I play a new venue and my rig is hissing, humming, or not making a sound at all, the culprit is usually a pedal, the patch cords, or the pedal's power supply. Sure, it's probably my own carelessness in how I set up the pedalboard or some other error of mine, but that still takes away from my ability to enjoy the gig and put out the best product I can for the audience. And the more pedals I have, the more time the troubleshooting takes.

Or when it's an 8:00 start time, but the bar's dinner crowd is still seated where the band needs to set up...so we're waiting in the wings and will have all of 5 minutes to get set up and play once they're done. Guitar straight into amp is wonderful then.

Or when you can't get a parking spot anywhere near the venue, and the pedalboard is the tipping point between one trip and two from car to bar.

So if you've either already solved those problems or you never run into them, enjoy those pedals! For me, I like a few at home and as few as possible -- none would be great -- at the gig.

JoeNeri likes this.
  7. cyclopean

8. Delmerson

Delmerson TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It's interesting the trend to basic rigs. Keith Williams, a recovering gear junkie, produces high quality pieces about keeping it simple at his site, 5 Watt World. Marty Schwartz at Marty Music, contends that you can play decent basic blues based rock with just two peddles. And finally peddle builder Josh Scott from JHS Peddles did an interesting piece titled "What's the Deal With Behringer?" What I gleaned from all that YouTube content is that the most important element to any rig is the player. Get a decent amp and a couple of peddles and then just play. I do very little gigging now so my gear is very basic. I was offered a "beginner" H2 Bullet for $250 ten years ago that turned out to be a real sweetheart and is now my #1. Check out Guitar Media's YouTube titled, "Best Vintage Guitar for the Money". It came with an old 1x8 Peavey 12w practice amp that I at first dismissed (because, you know, Peavey's are uncool). Later, after learning from intheblues' Shane Diiorio that despite their lack of cachet Peavey's are actually decent units, I upgraded with an Eminence speaker and now get a surprisingly good loud sound (for our practice space anyway). Based on Josh Scott's review Guitar peddles.jpg Guitar-bass rig, 2020.jpg I added the unloved Behringer peddles to my board. It all sounds great for the the jam session rhythm I play. Playing a "student" Fender through a Peavey/Behringer rig does not pass the hip smell test (although I get some credit for the Boss Tuner right?) but if you close your eyes ...

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I

I agree with you. I try to limit live shows to three pedals and run everything through the same surge protector. I could get by with one phaser, but I don't really have a choice because of the music we play in my band. Especially when you have the only guitar and need a phaser. If it doesn't fit in the back of the amp with the cover on it,on the hand cart it doesn't go to the gig.

Although the irony strikes me that as I am writing this there is a window open with the EHX Canyons pedal in an Amazon cart. It would be nice to have a nice clean echo option other than the reverb in my amps

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

As a Don Rich fan, I'm sure you can get all you need from an amp and that's cool. I like Don Rich. I like Depeche Mode too :). My point - and my response to the other poster, to which you replied - is that you show up for the gig with the appropriate rig. You actually made the point as well as I could have - if you're in a cover band that requires pedals, you use pedals. If you don't need 'em for the gig, then don't use 'em.

I get tired of seeing this pedal argument over and over on these forums. There are no absolutes, and to imply that anyone who uses pedals is doing it wrong is indeed amateurish.

Ask ANY pro who does studio work and tours, and the 'no pedals' discussion simply doesn't come up. They use the right tools for the job, period.

donrichfan and Ronzo like this.
  11. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

Right on guys. I'm a big fan of Don also

12. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

Look who's amateur and elitist now. 'I think thou doth post too much'
    This is supposed to be the FENDER TELECASTER Forum. If you don't love them then leave it.
    I'm just saying that the best guitarists I've ever seen/met/jammed with, only needed a Tele, a Fender amp, and a lot of talent and soul to produce more sounds than a whole box of your precious pedals can. Just a crutch, but hey if you need them here is a couple of other items you might want to add to your equipment OIP (1).jpg OIP (3).jpg

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

14. cyclopean

i'm using a tele through a bunch of pedals to make music i'm excited about.
    i've also seen some pretty great noise sets played with a circuit bent guitar hero controller.
    i've had my telecaster since i was seventeen and it's my home as a guitarist. i just don't limit myself to bland tones when i play.
    using pedals well takes talent and soul. not using them is as arbitrary as deciding to take a few strings off your guitar and thinking that's better.
    in what possible way is having more sounds available to you "a crutch"? deciding you don't want that is boring, and the mark of a player closed off to the possibilities available on their instrument. that's like only playing the pentatonic scale forever and ever, or like taking all the knobs off your amp. why would you do that?

you can probably find a great way of using that hello kitty guitar too. why limit yourself? that's deciding not to grow as a musician.

15. cyclopean

i don't know who don rich is but depeche mode is one of my favorite bands and they're still a killer live act. although i'm still a little annoyed that they didn't play policy of truth when i saw them a few years ago. i ran into a lot of other musicians from local goth bands at that show, and it was some great luck that free tickets dropped into my lap hours before they went on because a friend couldn't make it.

16. cyclopean

i have that delay pedal. it sounds great.

the cure made peavey amp sounds great, and a ton of punk, hardcore, and metal bands are getting great sounds out of the 5150 amps. his hero is gone have one of my favorite heavy guitar sounds ever and they used vtm 120s.

Jackghost likes this.
  17. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

Maybe a Princeton Reverb and a Marshall in box like the MI Cruchlab would do what you need?

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    (Sorry!)

Out of context I mentioned pairing a BFSR with a 100w Marshall, but overall I can't stand BF scooped tone, can't stand small OT bass mush, and can barely stand spring reverb sproing!

I like 18w Marshalls for my small amps, tighter bass, more mids, easy enough to carry.
    Not with the usual Greenback speaker though.

I do have an old SF Princeton, but it was long ago gutted and now it's more Tweedy plus runs bigger transformers for 2x6L6.

Jackghost likes this.
  19. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

I use a maxed out Boss HM-2 with the my crust punk/d-beat band and the same HM-2 with the same settings and a Tone City Tiny Spring set between 10 o’ clock and max in my black metal band. If I need OD for a part I turn the guitar volume between 3 and 5. Both into whatever amps clean channel I’m using. If it has reverb the Tiny Spring stays home. If I was in a cover band I’d probably have a multi FX unit. Same if I was in a dream pop/shoegaze band. I used to play with a wah, phaser, chorus, delay, tuner and sometimes OD to boost my amps dirt channel for solos in a groove metal band I used to play in. Had multiple instances that the patch cables broke, batteries died, picked up radio signals with the wah etc. I got sick of it and ended up using the amp reverb and dirt channel. If I needed a complicated pedal setup again I’d do a Helix or GT1000. This is just my personal preference, I know other people love having lots of effect and tweaking knobs. It drives me crazy personally.

cyclopean likes this.
  20. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

Cool, glad you Found what worked for you. “Whatever’s clever” as they say right?

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.