1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm down to two pedals for my live rig, and it feels good.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Jul 27, 2020.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

that pedal was ugly in every way possible... a relic from the 80s but it still worked and sounded great.

2. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister

At my last gig, I used the reverb and tremolo on my Deluxe Reverb, a Boss TU-3, an EHX Pog, and an Ibanez TS-9. I really liked not doing the “pedal dance” all night!

Jackghost and nojazzhere like this.
  3. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Its been awhile since I gigged or even went to a jam. In General you can get away with just a few depending on what you play. I play right now mostly traditional country music so an overdrive with Delay gets me everything practically. I also have a wah for rock stuff when I am in that mood.

Big Twang Theory and saleake like this.
  4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

We've read about more than a couple people having gone to a multi-effect solution then going back to pedals again. Worse yet, selling everything and not having a backup when the multi-effect box dies.

igor5, oldfish and saleake like this.
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

So, that's still 5 switches. Doesn't it take two to dance?
    :)

dougstrum likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

did they change the color on the reissue? mine is crayon yellow and yours looks like fancy mustard.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

it depends on what kind of music you're playing. i need more than that for my main project.

8. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I only use a SD-1, TR-2, and a DM-2w. Although I’m thinking about adding a Catalinbread Talisman.

9. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

now i always use my grab and go which is an EHX crayon, SD-1 and either a chorus, delay or flanger or this

upload_2020-7-28_13-24-1.png

10. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Yes I think the models made in the 70's and 80s were darker.

11. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been building a substantial pedalboard setup with a switcher for a couple of years now. I really like the sounds it gives me - I have some modern / ambientish tones in there, too. And it is a wet/dry setup, so slightly more complication arises by definition.

12. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

went from this:
    9C3769D0-30A3-4BEA-BAD7-148BA0C6D0F9.jpeg

to this:

E848F818-D788-4660-A992-2F53FB57588F.jpeg

I like the built in overdrive of my amp and I also use a Reverb tank. Much better.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Well done.

Since the 80s I've used a flight case for my pedals and there are only 6 slots so I can't use any more than that.

Compressor > EQ > Boost > Tremolo > OD > Delay (reverb from the DRRI)

I recently got the Unit 67 which actually replaces pedals 1 2 and 3 as it does them all at once so I've put the old chorus pedal back in the boost slot for a change. A tiny touch of chorus can be a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    KW1977 likes this.
  14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice! I play in my living room so more is always an option! I love twiddling knobs and pretty much anything with a selectable wave knob/switch(thanks Pulsar).

15. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

64937081_10156479420473546_742625297454596096_n.jpg

Here's what inspired me to go minimal... it's Jock Bartley's pedal board (Firefall). I could probably get along just fine with the above setup, but the Zoom in place of the DD-3 gives me a few more options that I need for my cover band.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sold your $2000 board and bought a $2000 amp?
    Could be a strategy, slowly invest in great pedals that hold their value and eventually have enough savings for a great amp that does clean and dirty sounds you love.
    I've never found an amp that quite does that!
    Well, maybe back when I could afford an actual Plexi Marshall.

But pedal obsession might be partly because I seem to have dirt taste that keeps changing?
    An amp with four channels might do it?
    Fear of too few awesome toanz?

Speaking for myself here...

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Board size might follow how much we can lift and how much space there is at the venue we're welcomed at?
    I can't carry my SFSR any more so it sits in the basement.
    Planning a new board right now, I just bought a Decimator G string II because I have some noisy muffs I just love the sounds I can get with, but damn are they noisy.

Struggling right now between allowing for six or eight pedals, including a loop so I get one stomp to toggle between two dirty sounds, or to remove the dirt loops.
    I reckon if I had gigs, a defined project, or just still had a musician community to play with, it would be easier to pare down.
    But I've been a home only player for some years now and it's been a while since I lost my player community.

Really, I prefer the time when I used zero or one pedal(s), and my amp or amps did exactly what I needed.
    BFSRs generally fit well into my no pedals rigs, combined with old Marshalls.
    Can't go back in time though...

Jackghost likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you sing lead or backup and need a mic stand in front of you it's slick to make a small pedalboard that follows the curvature
    of the typical round mic-stand base. Your pedal board with about 5 pedals nicely wraps around the back of the mic stand base.

Another option I've seen is people installing a female-threaded socket on their pedal board that the mic stand can screw into. So the pedal board becomes the mic stand base. In this scenario the pedal board needs to be heavy enough to make a stable base.

I've been on many gig stages where space is a total premium. A big pedal board takes up too much room, and even a small pedal board presents challenges. For example, check out the stage at the Mercury Lounge in Goleta, a nearby town. The stage in this photo is where the screen is. It's only 7' x 8'. Try fitting a six piece in there with drums and keys! We were scheduled to play there and then Covid hit so the gig got canceled. Somewhat of a relief. Our kb player was going to skip it and I think our drummer was going to use just snare, hi-hat, and kick.

upload_2020-7-28_8-54-21.png

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Went to mini pedals in a case about 5 years ago. Two cases; one for the front-end of my primary amp (Egnater Tweaker 15 head and Tweaker 112 cab), and one sitting in the effects loop, which contains an always-on HOF reverb with a Toneprint spring reverb that emulates a Deluxe Reverb’s reverb circuit well to my ears. I have a delay set for rockabilly slapback, a vibrato multieffect set for Princeton-like bias vibrato, a chorus, and a Funk Machine envelope filter. I have a poorly-working right leg, so using a wah is difficult for me, even sitting on a high stool.

The pre-input board has, in order from right to left (signal flows in that direction), a Kliq TinyTune tuner; a Donner Morpher; a Tom’s Line Plexion; a Tom’s Line Dumbler; an Axon Compressor, usually on, set moderately to smooth my pick attack and bring out subtleties; and a Donner Boost Killer, set as a clean boost with no edge.

Every pedal in this system is set and selected for a specific purpose. The settings rarely, if ever, change. The amp is set, including the HOF reverb, to emulate a ‘65 Fender BF Deluxe Reverb - my favorite amp of all I’ve owned, and the one amp of all I’ve let go over the years that I wish I had back. With this rig, I can get plausibly authentic cranked Plexi tones on LP type instruments with PAF- style pickups, edgy Dumble-esque sounds on single-coil instruments, and metal-like tones on instruments with hotter humbuckers. Along with normal and louder clean tones from all types of pickups.

Pre-input case:
    FE091770-F0AF-42A8-A69A-A98982FB2594.jpeg

Effects loop case:
    7DDE9C84-689C-45A9-9E2F-A86DAA9E11C2.jpeg

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

No offense intended to anyone, but I always get a kick out of these “minimalist” or “downsizing” pedal board threads in which most of the posts are about using 6, 8, 10 or more pedals.

One of the main reasons that I use a small board when gigging is that I have rarely had the luxury of performing on a large stage. Most of my gigs are bar gigs - after setting up a PA system, bass rig and drum kit, there usually isn’t a whole lot of stage real estate left for the rest of us. Just the reality of bar gigs. (And yes, one can actually play pretty decent classic rock covers with a small board.)

My current board, playing a Tele into a Bassman:

26A3DF07-6EBF-4120-9E3D-AABEA0190E3D.jpeg

Small enough to fit on top of my amp if necessary.

zippofan, Jackghost, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.