I'm Done With Sports!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Oct 18, 2021.

1. as5431

as5431 Tele-Meister

This should be a sticky. That way all the sports-haters can talk about in here instead of mentioning it in sports threads.

Stringbanger and MilwMark like this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Opera...

getbent likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Haaa, that is what I said at the time. It was a basket of balls that popped out of the ground next to the batter’s box for the umpire to get a fresh baseball. Yeah, you cannot make this up. Of course it was a “rabbit hole”, so it is a rabbit that pops out of the underground holding the basket.

The photo depicts the filling up of the basket before the game starts. Notice the flip top Astro turf lid that is flush to the ground when the basket/rabbit is underground.

Greg70 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  4. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

I'm done with watching the Ryder Cup, until the fans learn some manners.

Texicaster and Scooter91 like this.
  5. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Bingo. (Baseball)They’ve slowed the game way down. Between that and the ridiculous salaried being paid to athletes these days, I’m down to one sport and following one team.

6. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

turn off the volume, turn on some music. enjoy!

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

hey, they had 'little blow hard' that popped up through the plate to dust it off....

Poor Charlie Finley, he tried to draw fans in Oakland which has hard core fans, just not enough of them to support a team. He had some of the greatest teams in history but could never draw enough to make it work. Soon, they will be the Las Vegas A's and another era for that team will pass.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Admittedly for those who don't play, golf is pretty boring. However for the announcers to try and make it exiting on whether a professional golfer is going to have trouble with an eighteen inch putt is just painful to watch and hear. I hardly watch anything but sports on TV. I watch, at least six football games a week, and the PGA tournament. I confess that I DVR them, then speed watch them. I miss some plays (and putts) but I usually slow it down for the ending. Unless of course it was the Ravens devouring the Chargers, I had it on FF most of the time.

9. getbent

ohhhhh, that is the thing... I wear a carhartt giants or 49ers ball cap, so, I guess I'm 'guilty'... I grew up with those teams and have rooted for them (and my family has too) for as long as I've been alive. I don't wear football jerseys, but, I have a Giants jacket for when we go to night games in the fall or spring.

I think the folks that facepaint and go 'all in' are like 50 year old KISS fans or dudes who wear 'rock'n'roll' clothes all the time. I don't mind them myself, I think, find whatever gets your motor running and have fun... but, the super rabid fans can be 'over the top' for sure.

KISS-Fans-Makeup.jpg

Bones likes this.
  10. getbent

no thuggery back then, eh.

George and Ken Brett went to El Segundo High where Getbent once hit a ball 'up the hill' (it was a sunken diamond) and was told only GB and one other guy hit one that far... the next time we played there a guy on our team hit two up there... he went on to be a stud at UCLA.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I totally understand about being repulsed by golf. I don't think any other sport is as boring as golf. Having said that, none of the others are as exiting if YOU PLAY golf. Watching Rory McIlroy reclaim his form to win this weekend thrilled me like no other sport can. McIlroy is probably the most naturally talented golfer to ever have lived. He turned pro at seventeen had earned 10 million dollars on the European tour at 21 years of age, and did the same on the American tour by the time he was 22 years of age. Rory has been playing professional golf for half his lifetime. I finally saw him as a matured golfer yesterday, when he "laid up" on the final par five, and made a simple par to win by one. He didn't need to go for it, screw it up, and lose. I salute the man.

PS:

Rory McIlroy never speaks harshly of another player, I've never heard anyone say anything but good about him. He's a genuinely nice guy who happens to have a couple of hundred million dollars. He would have twice that amount if people hadn't stolen from him, but he doesn't dwell on it, and is just glad to have a life he understands and enjoys.

JL_LI and Ronzo like this.
  12. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Holic

National broadcasters suck so bad. I'm biased, but I think the SF Giants have the best in baseball at the moment. Krukow, Kuiper, Miller, and Flemming. Each brings their own voice literally and metaphorically. They all have their quirks and personalities which makes them so compelling to listen to IMO.

W/r/t the NFL: Apparently the first end-zone dance was in '73 (Elmo Wright), but they really have become ridiculous over the years. I go with the quote some player who I can't remember said about end-zone celebrations- "Act like you've been there before."

getbent likes this.
  13. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I do - along with every long-suffering Dolphins fan in South Florida. The answer is yes. Because the Dolphins find ways to lose that no one knew existed.

This will persist until Jimmy Johnson dies, and the curse of him disrespecting Don Shula and Dan Marino is lifted.

14. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

All true, TD. But I wish Rickie Fowler had won, nonetheless.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Players can self promote these days. Big celebrations are just part of the game now and each player wants to be recognized so they can build their own brand. No money in being quiet.

getbent likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I was pulling for Rickie too, but when Rory is on, no one can beat him! He's broke my heart many times, but when he soars it's all alone and with the eagles.

Ronzo likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

:eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ronzo likes this.
  18. getbent

love kruk and kuip. Flemm has grown into an awesome broadcaster and it is fun having JM on the downswing. We freeze the tv and let it catch the radio and then have them call the game.

If I win the lottery, I'm putting a contract out on Dave Anderson and Ron Darling (and maybe his brother who was a crummy ump)

As for celebrations, tats, going all wild... I've embraced it. When I played we not only didn't shake hands with the other guys, we didn't shake hands with our guys. We got our stuff and got on the bus.

I think all the hugging and mugging is just part of it today. And if a guy does a bat flip on a homer when they are down 8 runs, I don't get mad anymore, new rules, get with the program!

I remember elmo wright. He was awesome (and Billy Johnson too) it was exciting and, as a kid, I loved the celebrations. I remember when 'soul slaps' were 'over the top' and I dug when Jeff Leonard was one flap down.

Unknown.jpeg

This is Elmo Wright's QB, on the sidelines, smoking a butt, drinking a fresca. So, yeah, different days my brothers.

19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Now that the Bucks won the NBA title for the first time in my lifetime, I’m pretty stress free about sports.

I’ll still watch, but I’m putting most of my energy into the band. I feel like the weight of sports has been lifted and now I can just enjoy it when I have the time to tune in. Very different experience. Maybe that’ll wear off in a few years...or maybe come playoff time.

DeepDangler likes this.
  20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you. This captures why I neither watch pro sports nor play gigs anymore. I've not a fan of any loud or huge crowded events, and only have a passive interest in any new music nowadays. As such, I don't expect any fandom for my music anytime soon. And even if I did, I don't really want any. Yuck. Fans and fandom suck.

Killing Floor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.