I'm Done With Sports!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I am here in the DC area also, and I typically only followed the Redskins on the radio...fall weather here is just way too nice for me to burn Sunday afternoons in front of the TV. Totally agree with you about the new radio crew. They are TERRIBLE. I don't even know who they are...I just stopped listening. The team has always been horrible to mediocre, but at least the previous announcers made it fun to listen to.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

lest we forget, Pederson was traded by the Dodgers, so homering against them is sweet revenge.

the tension in the modern baseball game is real. It has become a highly mental, step by step approach, so, when someone hits it out or hits a gapper, the celebration is a real expression of releasing that tension.

Some people like the nerve wracking, some don't (some like light comedy, some people like psychological thrillers)

The NFL is constant scheming and counter scheming and waiting for a single mistake or a single weakness to appear and be exploited.

If you played, maybe there is a better sense of how hard all of it is and so more appreciation. Football is very much the 'fog of war' where it looks so simple from the stands, but out there and on the sidelines, it is insane and chaotic. Baseball is so internal, so much about what each player is thinking and being able to do from a mental standpoint. If you've ever pitched, you know how hard it is to throw a strike much less hit a spot.

Oh well, if you don't appreciate it, you just don't... Like Jupiter says, no point in trying to explain or share.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm resting my eyes...

restingeyes.png

4. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

With fans on the field!!!!

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

When I see music fans at those type of festivals, I don't get that aspect either and I haven't seen a cover band in about 30 years. Even though I do mods and repairs for players in several big, touring "tribute bands", I have never seen them perform. Most of my music fandom is realized through passive listening, which is different from sports I guess in that most sports fans don't listen to or re-watch the same games over and over again. It doesn't bother me that other people are into sports, but to me it just doesn't seem interesting.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I know exactly when and where it all started going downhill in sports. It was the underground elevator “rabbit hole” at the Oakland colisium. This was the last professional baseball outing I ever attended.
    F549DFDF-0FE3-4513-820A-2AC22C93B3F6.jpeg

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

-Braham Weinstein ( good local guy went to ESPN for a while, came back to DC) is the play-by-play guy.

He is a good guy, smart, but just a terrible voice for play-by-play. You ( IMO) need a real 'announcer voice' to do this job well

- Julie Donaldson- a local NBC Sports talking head- nice, but cliche, she sets up the next guy, who is...

- D'Angelo Hall - former Redskins secondary- good player when he wasn't hurt.
    He is terrible as he criticizes and advises after every play ( and immediately) as if he were good enough to know better ( than current WFT) - he wasn't and doesn't.

It is a real amateur crew, even our lame-o team deserves better
    Bring back ' Sonny, Sam, and Frank'
    (Even if dead, they'd be better!).

Edit- and I'm by no means a hardcore sports guy- I learned Everything I know from my wife ( she grew up in sports) and our son.
    We follow all local DC teams, and we enjoy soccer, Tour de France, tennis- but I'm a lightweight

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

I grew up on sports, playing and being a fan. But i've weaned myself off them. I grew disgusted with the pro sports world over time, and ultimately the sports scene and culture in general. Things are getting pretty explicitly just about the gambling now anyway. Cutting the cord helped seal the deal.

televillian likes this.
  9. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

Incidentally, the last pro sports event I attended was also at Oakland Coliseum, an A's game right before the '94 strike. That strike pretty much finished me on baseball.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Baseball is my favorite sport. But the excessive bat flipping homerun celebrations get to me. Do that to Pedro, Nolan, Gibson, or another of those old school pitchers and see what happens. I saw Maddox throw at a guy’s shoulder when he stepped out during his windup. Act like you’ve been there or let the players handle it themselves.

Texicaster and RoscoeElegante like this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I can’t stand watching football!

They are always talking about “rockets” and “weapons”, “cannons”

It’s a freakin game not a war

I hate the terms they come up with!

Don’t get me started on the silly antics they do for social media

It’s almost more about what dance they are gonna come up with than the game itself

That’s what growing up on computers does to people

Dang it all!

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

What is going on here?

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I don’t mind the players celebrating as much. Although sometimes they are a bit arrogant. Some sports fans are a little over the top though. I know guys who watch sports shows and games 24 7. All day everyday from wake up to bedtime, all sports. That is a bit much. I enjoy watching my teams every once in a while but yeah sometimes the announcers just can’t shut up. On the other end of the spectrum, I hate boring local announcers for the competing teams or over analyzing commentators for the national channels. Just call the game.

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Try participation instead of spectating. Way more fun.

You gotta pick different activities at different stages of life but there's something for most stages of life.

A lot of people say they are "into sports" are not into sports. They're into watching TV and holding a couch/chair down.

Historically I probably workout/participate in sports about 10 hours a week on average, it always boggled me to see guys watching sports 20+ hours a week and not actually doing anything to participate or even keep themselves healthy/fit.

15. muscmp

muscmp Friend of Leo's

sports, well TV, is a waste of your time when you could be doing something with music. get off your butt and start playing music!

Obsessed likes this.
  16. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I'm an avid hockey fan. It has the advantages of constant action and very limited breaks which provides a minimum of down time for announcers to fill with inane analysis, product pandering or hyperbolic editorializing.

I used to be an avid baseball fan. Attended on average about 40 MLB games a year back in the 1970s, and watched a lot of games on TV. That was a time when the average game took slightly less than 2 hours and 30 minutes to play. I stopped being a fan when the average game time became 3 hours in 2012. Today the average game is 3 hours and 11 minutes long. I've found that those extra 30-41 minutes of non-play have made the sport intolerably boring to watch.

duzie, Greg70 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  17. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

Capture.PNG

GeneB, Scooter91 and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I agree with you

Sports are for low culture people. The new People's opium

I am off

Texicaster and Obsessed like this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve been through with sports for 64 years.
    I swear I was born without the sports “bone”.

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I hear ya, Texicaster! I usually turn the sound off nationally televised games. Since Tony Kubek and similarly sober-sensed gents left the broadcast booth, it's way too much hysteria. The graphics and endless awful "music" are annoying, too. Local broadcasts tend to be lower-key and even have some old-school quirky charm (though the Blue Jays' Buck Martinez's voice peels paint that doesn't even exist yet).

It's a shame that ya gotta rescue baseball from so much of its packaging and thuggy posturing these days, just to watch it. Like having to peel screaming octopuses off your Tele just to pick up the thing.

So much so, here's my own Yells At Clouds! list I recently sent to a too-mod friend:
    • STAY in the batter's box. No more preening your gang tats and finagling your diamond-crusted crucifixes between pitches.
    • No more tats. We have enough road maps to meth-dom in this country as it is.
    • No more jewelry. "There's no glittering in baseball!"
    • Spangled man buns? Threads-o'-orange dreads? Roger Maris's head is ANGRY, people!
    • No more gaudy wristbands, dew rags, geegaws.
    • The caveman beards we can tolerate since they suggest ferocity. All else is vanity, saith yo.
    • No more giggling and stock-tip-sharing and bro-hugs with opponents. You're out there to compete and win, not cultify.
    • No more delayed calls sent to NYC for deciding. Holds up the game, breaks the rhythm, and fallibility is a beautifully inherent part of baseball. Not only 'cause it's so tough to play well, but because it has a time-enshrined Error sign awaiting human folly and frailty before the game starts, as sure as that good sinner wandering toward his Friday bar/chatty chippy knows that a Sunday confession shall follow.
    • No more man on 2nd to start extra innings. That cheats history, drama, and the fans. EARN being on second.
    • No more domed and artificial turf stadiums. I don't care how hot it is in Tampa or Texas, or how much it snows in Toronto, or how bad the rust smells in Milwaukee. Leave inside games to the politicians. 'Tis not a season if from the seasons we hide a game glorying in the physics of leather balls and gloves, wound cotton, a cork center, wooden bats.
    • No more orange or yellow or pink or purple shoes, caps, uniforms, anything. Or Mothers' Day this and Camo Day that. Leave visual vomit to the '70s.
    • No more bat flips. This isn't bullfighting, or shank showing in a Bolivian prison yard.
    • No more 40 pieces of body armor up there. Duck if you can, bleed if you don't. It's not paddycake time. The pitcher's ability to seriously hurt you is part of his legit arsenal, and part of baseball. Too much insulation blobs us into feebs.
    • No more chronic swinging for the 30-run homer. Put the ball in play, beat the defensive shifts, learn how to bunt and hit the other way. You know: baseball.
    • No more lollygagging down to first on a grounder or pop up. Run or the manager sits you down. Bryce Harper is King of the Uber-Entitled Fratboys, not a role model.
    • No more rock "music"--much less hip hop/rap--between innings, or at any time. Play cheesy organ music or nothing after the Star Spangled Banner. Why puke our culture's rot on one of good taste's last oases?
    • No more outer-deck stadiums. Putting 25,000 fans in orbit to spare 2,000 fans a partially column-blocked view is nuts. Instead, all stadiums should have the deep decking shadows of olde, and the gradients of homers: the 5-homer-per-year 2nd baseman nicks one just over the fence. The quick-wristed dude lines one off the upper deck's facade, which is flush with the lower deck and the roof's front edge. The slugger lofts one into the upper deck, just missing clipping the roof. And the monster, the masher, the legend, well, he launches one juuuuuuuuust onto the roof. Clock, clack, clock, it bounces down to the field, like a suicidal bunny-spore. And true once-in-a-lifetime talent, he nicks the peak going over the roof and out into the rubbled American night, like a hope escaping into oblivion's lil' cousin. Deprive fans of all that, and you may as well be indifferent to your neighborhood's best mutt.
    • Also, ever notice how most of the game's more insulting patterns coincided with the spread of wearing batting gloves? Callouses are badges of honor, people! If your knuckles don't look like boxers' battered chins up there, if your hands are hiding in technicolor masks, you don't know why George Brett should be your guide! (Cecil we can forgive, above, because he was just so Ruth-y.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.