I'm Done With Sports!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

¡Bueno!™

I had the TV on in the back ground much of the weekend. Finally sat and watched some baseball but turned it off.

I finally noticed the commentators job seems to make it too suspenseful...every pitch every play. Analyzed ad infinitum! They have to intensify the anxiety and it wears after a while. Just talk about hot dogs and peanuts for a minute and let us catch our breath!

Couple that with the excessive celebration for the simplest of plays.... I turned it off after watching Joc Pederson crank that amazing HR! Very cool shot BUT the idiotic girls softball team celebrations.... Forget it. Stupid Red Sox cart after a HR.....Hey I'm a Padre fan and found Tatis little skips rounding the bases and "bling" pretty stupid too. Had to endure Jr. Seau Joe HS celebrations.... Wasn't it some guy on the Jets years ago that kinda started all the jumping around after every tackle....

When did "It's not over till it's over" lose impact?

Can you imagine Willie Mays and Willie McCovey jumping around like a girls softball team? Dick Butkus dancing after every sack or tackle? Guys knew you don't celebrate till it's over! And then it's a beer and a smoke!

A celebration in and of itself is cool! Hit a game tying HR...yea! High 5 all around! But going bonkers mikd game is lame.

Don't even want to venture as to how and when and why major leaguers started hopping around like the girls softball team in their little scrums....

Hold on.... there's a cloud outside! I gotta go shake a fist at it!!!!!!!

drmordo, SoK66, String Tree and 25 others like this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

they always add drama...take the super bowl...when i watched all the pre game stuff...they are like chuck smiths first time in this game...he had the best year of his career...but he had troubles in his youth or his family was killed by space debris or his girlfriend got pregnant and had quintuplets...how can he stay in school with his new family blah blah blah i dont watch the 6 hours of pre game hype anymore

some people eat that up...i just want to watch the game...granted baseball has more time to fill with banter between pitches...football moves faster so less time to add the drama by the announcers...turn the volumes off put music on and watch the game

Rmccamey, Manual Slim and Texicaster like this.
  3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The proliferation of media has resulted in every aspect of public life being curated, spoon-fed, hyped, repeated, and reviewed.

You're wise to quit consuming.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

you seem to require competing things: the announcers are too serious, the players are too joyful and lighthearted.

it is like a version of goldilocks and the three bears. are you goldilocks in this scenario?

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Try being a Washington Football Team ( 'WFT,? WTF!!') fan!

Decades (now) on being on the endless hamster wheel of mediocre misery

And the new local radio team that does the game broadcasts ( I'm always listening, coming home from Sunday AM gigs) is just insufferable!

The 3 announcers do not breathe for even a second during every play. Literally smothering the listeners with babble.
    It sucks, as you have to already deal with the terrible/crappy WFT, compounded by the WORST radio game coverage

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    stepvan, Chicago Matt and greenhornet like this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Sports on TV exists just to sell stuff. If you actually care which team wins or loses, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It's just entertainment, unless you bet money on it, which I never do.

archtop_fjk, GeneB and ronmail65 like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t watched pro sports in years, not even the World Series or the Super Bowl. College sports has at least some excitement for me but I’d rather move my legs than watch someone else move theirs. And golf, 5 minutes of actual playing spread over three hours. TV commentators are paid to fill the interminable gaps in the action with banter which is all too often meaningless babble. I’d rather watch Big Bang reruns and have Penny fill the gaps between the physics jokes.

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm baffled by sports fans.

drmordo, darkwaters, Rmccamey and 8 others like this.
  9. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Hockey, gladiators on skates, gratuitous violence paired with extreme fineness and way less fanfare, they do however have the girl softball moment when they score a goal.

Ronzo, Greg70 and Fretting out like this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

And also, get off OP's lawn why doncha! These dang youngsters with all their celebratin' and hootin' and hollerin' - they ain't got no respect for the old ways!

Texicaster, Greg70 and ce24 like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

I get it. Probably the same as Ballet for me (or most modern dance) I just can't grasp the allure. But, they have packed places full of fans... must be something to it that just doesn't click with me.

jman72, drlucky, MilwMark and 5 others like this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I'm baffled by people who read detective and romance novels. I'm baffled by people who think Grapefruit is tasty. I'm baffled by Grateful Dead fans too, for that matter.

13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’m baffled.

It’s a life choice.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First of all, you need to adjust your priorities and root for the Braves if you’re watching baseball.
    Football is orders of magnitude more fun than baseball. American football, not soccer where 85% of shots miss the entire 30’ goal, where 2/3 of all passes are turnovers to the other team. Not golf, goes without saying.

You need to go to a college football game because that’s a lot more fun than watching anything on TV even if your wife’s favorite team loses. Get out of the house and get into a seat.
    upload_2021-10-18_9-47-47.jpeg

15. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

This was an on field celebration, back before I was born. Bill Mazerosky wins the world series for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Do you prefer athletes to perform like John Entwistle, still as a statue with no facial expressions?

1960-world-series-gettyimages-517727188.jpg

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I listen to to my fav rock station when I watch sports....

17. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Friend of Leo's

You need to watch test cricket.
    Four or five days of not much happening interspersed by occasional moments of action, usually commentated by aging reporters reminiscing about matches that occurred between the wars. And at the end rain stops play and it’s a draw.
    Even better listening to radio commentating…

18. Bones

Same.

19. Bones

Good points, but I still don't see 45 year old male ballet fans walking around in balletwear with their favorite ballet star's name on the back. At least not every day.

green_henry, drlucky and Harry Styron like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Really? Is it different than being a music fan? I mean, what kind of imbecile would stand up in the sun all day waiting to see their favorite band from 200 rows back at a festival? Or go to a stinky bar with awful service and dirty glasses to watch some local bunch of yahoos play cover songs?
    Just saying, sports fans are no different than your fans. Are they?
    I love The Stones but I’d rather watch my favorite NFL team in person because I don’t know the exact play list or the exact outcome before I get there. So how is one any weirder than the other? I know the Stones are playing Jumping Jack Flash and I know they’re doing the extended version of “Shelter” but I don’t know if the Falcons will beat Miami.

jman72, Whatizitman, as5431 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.