I'm Done With Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rolandson, Jan 15, 2020.

1. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

cornfield

2. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

I've had great experiences with Reverb on both sides of the coin save one purchase and it was a bit my fault. Bought an '86 LP Jr and the pick-up was replaced and there were two others in the gig bag it came in. Whatever Jason Lollar fixed it up good. What I've sold had detailed pics along with the offer to send along more on their messaging. I'm pretty detail oriented so 20 or pics tell a novel's worth. I'll be posting more stuff in the next few months, so we'll see...

rolandson likes this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm not done with Reverb. I still have my MetroPlex listed and tax refunds are arriving in the mail.

rolandson likes this.
  4. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

Yup. Unless you firmly believe in buyer beware, never buy a guitar or amp without playing them.

rolandson likes this.
  5. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

I seem to buy and sell 3 or 4 times per year, I've always worked extremely hard to get a 5 star rating,
    I try to be extremely transparent and when I'm selling a damaged slightly damaged or slightly used piece of gear the transparency,... admitting and carefully analyzing what you're selling is all people ask for.
    I had a speaker that had a slight tear/wrinkle I didn't bother to try and sell it I threw it in the trashcan. As I didn't want to damage my reputation even trying to describe something so important.
    I've given many of my sellers 3 and 4 stars because they did not perform well. I recommend you give them 3 or 4 stars saying they do not describe their items very accurately and be sure to ask them lots of detailed questions.

I have purchased several 10-year-old guitars the website promotes and enables communication, as soon as you start getting truth in advertising they clearly start saying oh well I guess it's not mint condition than the price comes down and both parties are happy to meet in the middle.

So yes there's a lot of unskilled sellers that don't bother to look at the details of what they're selling.

I remember the promise when it started, buying and selling for musicians to musicians,

your fellow musicians sometimes suck. They are not good retailers, just guitar players.

rolandson likes this.
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I don't buy much from Reverb, but if you live in the styx they are a real asset. If for nothing else, just window shopping and price comping. But, you definitely want to pay attention to who you are buying from. But guys like Chicago Music Exchange are safe and solid. Private sellers; buyer beware, just like ebay, et.al.

7. brl322

brl322 TDPRI Member

I’ve bought and sold several items big and small on Reverb, Never had an issue. Sorry about your bad experience.

rolandson likes this.
  8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I came to realize the best way to buy any kind of gear is in-person at a good mom and pop store you trust. I'll send out a shameless plug for my favorite place on Earth... Motor City Guitar in Waterford, Michigan. IMHO, the best guitar store on Earth. Marty has at least 4x's as many guitars hanging than any Guitar Center... and his pedal counter is crammed packed full of around 2,000 choices of stomp boxes. (Whereas you MIGHT see 30-40 boxes at any Guitar Center).

Enough plug...

I like to go into a store for several reasons.

1) I just like the social interaction with other music loving people. Whether its the sales guys or the customers.

2) I will identify one amp in the store that is nice and clean, and that will be my one demo/test driving amp for any guitar I pick up. And I believe whole-heartedly in the personal test drive. If a guitar doesn't have that "soul" to my ears on the test drive portion of considering to buy, it just simply doesn't come home with me. This has one important side effect... I never need to twiddle or tweak or "fix" a guitar that I don't like the sound of with new pickups and other odd number of self-engineering attempts. If it doesn't have soul to my ears, it gets hung back up. The test drive can be from anywhere from two strums and it sounds like crap already, to... "woops I've been here all day playing this wonderfully toneful soul monster".

3) Since I am disabled and about as piss poor as Peter, just about every piece of gear I buy has to be done on a lay-a-way. The typical mom and pop store (if they are kind) will let a guy run a lay-a-way longer than 90 days if needed. If you've not been disabled or don't know anyone that got that way, one of the really fun things that happens when you can no longer work a real job is that you can also no longer pay your regular bills. This leads to you getting evicted out of your once nice and friendly apartment complex, your car gets repossessed and there is nothing you can do about it, and the outcome is that your credit rating gores from high 700's to below 400 in no time flat. So forget ever having any kind of credit card for the rest of your life. So lay-a-ways are the schnizel.

I don't mind telling you that due to a surgeon's screw-up I was permanently disabled in 2016, and not long after to survive I had to sell every guitar, amp, pedal and tooth pick I owned. (And the state of Texas has a 2-year statute of limitations on all malpractice lawsuits, and I was diagnosed by pain management too late to sue the living crap out of the surgeon... )

But there is life after permanent disability.

I wasn't able to buy another guitar until December, 2017. I did a lay-a-way...

I just want those who are less fortunate to keep your chin up and keep traveling full speed ahead toward your guitar love and addiction.

Now, I have several guitars on lay-a-way at different places, and because I am a hardcore bargain shopper I have not paid full MAP for anything I have bought since Dec 2017. In fact a lot of the guitars, amps and pedals I have since acquired were at times 1/2 of what you pay new at the store, sometimes even less.

If you don't believe in miracles, well that's OK, but I don't have anyway to explain this...

If bought at full MAP price, I have acquired $28,800 in guitars and amps, and another $5,300 in stomp boxes since December, 2017.

On a puny $783 SSI disability check (which was only $500 when they first started pissed little droplets of money my way after being deemed totally disabled by a Federal judge.) I also do some part-time work from home work, but pretty much I am broke and a damned good used gear price shopper.

So to the OP's post... I've bought several nice things on Reverb and never had any trouble. It helps to communicate with the seller with a few messages before sending him your money. In the case of the old speaker, he should have looked at it, or maybe if you ever do any eBay, Reverb or second hand gear transactions, ask more questions. Ask to see recent pictures. Ask to see high res pics. Or just buy from a damned good mom and pop (I hate national chain stores, especially the complete idiots that seem to get hired at every Guitar Center on the planet... I've lived in 37 of the 50 states, and shopped GC's every where I've lived, and its not just that "one store down the street" that sucks... They are all managed by the same board of directors and are pretty much clones of all the other clods that are employed at GC everywhere. So I boycott ESPECIALLY Guitar Center.

Sort of depends on where you live, too. If your out in bumm fugg Egypt some where and have no decent store within a reasonable driving distance, then online might be your only option to fine something besides Cort guitars and Crate amps...

But I am a firm believer in the in-person purchase. Its a lot about the in-person test drive and inspection.

Plus, I think this Snowflake Generation has gotten lazy as fudge and like to sit on their butts, state at gear on the Internet, and post to TheGearPage type forums about their newest and latest over-priced boutique thing they played in the "gigging band" lats Saturday night, which was actually truth be told, their daughter's tenth birthday pool party...

Seems like today its more about sucking down $5.00 energy drinks and turning into a zombie eyed X-Boxer than to actually get thy ass off of thy couch and go shop in person.

rolandson likes this.
  9. shackleton1

shackleton1 TDPRI Member

My only problem after about 45 transactions, is the damn SALES TAX now!

10. shackleton1

shackleton1 TDPRI Member

WOW thats great for the 5-6% with someplace good besides a GC nearby. There is one shop where I live, very very limited selection of gear. OH and then there is GC lol

11. amp-shark

amp-shark TDPRI Member

FUNNY HOW REVERB IS ONE GIANT MONEY-FEST IN BETWEEN OCCASIONAL GOOD DEALS, huh

Last year I spotted a super rare 100W version of an original boutique amp on Reverb for $450.
    So I told my shredmeister Son about the deal and he got it, but it arrived smashed with loose transformers.
    Reverb worked okay, and he got his money back eventually.
    But all they did was trash the returned parts, and my offer for the irreplaceable iron was for naught.

Win some, lose some.
    some days yer the bug - some days yer the windshield
    ALL YOU CAN DO IS, POST THAT FEEDBACK FOR THE NEXT PUTZ IN LINE
    Thank You for posting/reminding

rolandson likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are you suggesting that honesty is ... a good thing?

I’d be pissed too.

rolandson likes this.
  13. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

I fine with Reverb , it's flee bay I'll never sell another thing on. Reverb has treated me well!

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm almost done with Reverb, because I almost have all the pedals I wanted to buy from there in the first place, plus get a couple other pieces of gear.

At this rate, I could get everything in maybe about a year.

I'm not interested in guitars, amps or new gear from there because the prices are too high.

15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I've had good experiences and bad with both Reverb and eBay. There is not a lot of protection for the seller with either. Ideally I would like to try before buy but if you are looking for a particular item you have to take a leap of faith. I have had to make partial refunds at times because items did not arrive as described or I may have missed something. I generally take people at their word and try to make it right, if a sense I am being duped then I bite the bullet and take the item back. All in all the online marketplace moves a lot of gear and a high percentage of sales works for both parties.

16. janman

janman TDPRI Member

17. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

One main gripe about Reverb, you have hell returning anything?! I wanted to return a bad pedal, and was told to prove it was not working correctly by post a video on youtube, so they could see or hear the problem??
    What you talkin bout Willis!!o_O

rolandson likes this.
  18. janman

janman TDPRI Member

I've been buying and selling guitars (mostly Telecasters) on Reverb for a long time. Not as a business, but as a way to own and play guitars until I find that "perfect one". If I buy one that doesn't work for me, I still play it for a while (usually a year or so) and then put it back up on Reverb. Your problem rolandson, isn't with Reverb, it's with the sellers. Reverb did you right.

Gripe #1: Reverb started out as a used instrument private party transaction website very much like a national level Craigslist. It has now turned into an alternate marketing path for retail sellers, kitchen table businesses, and speculators/flippers. I just queried "Telecaster" on Reverb and got 9,381 listings. Of those, only 3,934 were used (about 42%). It isn't fun anymore to scroll thru the used guitars when most of them are just sellers who bought them on clearance or with a coupon discount off Sweetwater/Musician's Friend/Sam Ash and selling them on Reverb as "mint".

Gripe #2: Price discipline, everybody thinks they've got something vintage. A '63 reissue Tele made in 2015 isn't a '63 Tele. Just because it's used or old doesn't mean it's vintage. I just saw a fairly common used Made in Japan Paisley Tele (TL-69) selling/asking at $900-1000? Even asking that price would have been considered an insult a few years ago. It can't be low supply. There are plenty of used TL-69's that have sit on Reverb for months. About five years ago the going price for used Japanese Teles was about $500-650. What happened?

Irondog likes this.
  19. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Reverb: Money for nothin' and chicks for free......

rolandson likes this.
  20. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I bought an old Oahu lap steel with a matching amp. You know the ones. Covered in MOTS? So it was described as being in good condition and with the OHSC. When it arrived there was no case and the amp had a broken tube socket. The seller was a big box music store someplace and when I complained they said they'd look for the case. They said when I bought it they looked for it but couldn't find so they decided to send it without the case. The regional manager od customer service for the chain got involved and I ended up taking a refund that ended up with me paying $100.00 for the lap steel and amp. The amp was an easy fix and I doubt you could find the lap steel alone for C-note these days whether it worked or not.
    BTW, I wish I'd bought a lap steel years ago. It's a blast to play with. So yeah, my score is one purchase and zero accurate descriptions of the item(s).

rolandson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.