1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm doing it! Starting a long-awaited bender partscaster build

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by tfarny, Oct 22, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Tired of the slight hassle involved with bending via Hipshot hip actuated bender and decided to go big.

Snagged a CAR 60's classic player body off the 'verb, will order a Warmoth neck soon enough. Probably just maple + dark rosewood for the neck. I'd like to get a 60's tele look from a few feet away but with a few modern touches I prefer, like a flatter radius, string tree for the G, and discreetly compensated saddles. I might do an S1 style switch for some unusual wiring usage, who knows! Crazy times.

My current thinking is to use the Cavalier pickups I have on hand, and the Parsons/Green kit and template from Hipshot's website and do the routing and install myself. What could go wrong, after all? :)

I also have a Duncan' 59 humbucker I could use in the neck, which is tempting but would require ordering a new pickguard so I might wait on that idea. I am aiming for this being a candidate for #1 main guitar regardless of bending, but you never know until you've made it and played it a LOT, so I won't count my chickens on that one.

This probably won't all come together until Christmas, which is cool. Stay tuned for piccies next week possibly.

Ray G, drlucky and bendercaster like this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I guess there is not a ton of action on the B-Bender forum!
    I got the body last week (it's perfect, love it) and have ordered the neck (Warmoth), and now I have Bender questions. I am going to fully assemble and set up the guitar before I invest in a Bender setup. I am down to two choices:
    1. Buy the Hipshot Parsons/Green setup and template and route it myself
    2. Send it in to the Glaser people for a Glaser.

I have never played either style of Bender and probably will not be able to either, so it's a leap of faith either way. The Glaser looks like a better design. I especially like the idea that half the back doesn't have to be routed out. I'm confident I could do the routing for the Parsons / Green, and it would cost a lot less to do that.

If anyone has done both, do you have advice or thoughts?
    PXL_20201031_162953329.jpg PXL_20201031_163013488.jpg

Mouth likes this.
  3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

E6B9A54A-0C3C-41F2-B9AB-9A5A3023DF11.jpeg 15A3EBD2-B785-49E1-BD28-82E43E8CC741.jpeg ECA8F7D2-0DDB-4869-8C13-B2E3626A1561.jpeg 88359F02-21E6-4AE2-BBF7-FE246570AE08.jpeg

I think my next one would be a Forrest Lee Jr. But the only reason for a next one would be less weight.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    brookdalebill, Mouth and drlucky like this.
  4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Let us know where you get your bender from. I would like to build one with a bender. But I would like to install it myself.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The photo above is that of a Hipshot Parsons Green, Hipshot sells them I believe for either $299 or $399. These are nice units plus they come with a BRASS string tower.

Ok, Glaser is a great system as are the similar units to the Parsons White design, such as the Forrest Lee Jr. system . Glasers pull off the neck pate, the Parsons White style ( FL Jr) pull off the standard strap button location.

These systems are custom installed under $700, professionally installed by PRO's , and well worth it. I think we get too wrapped up in "routing" , removing wood. We should be concentrating on the efficiency and quality of the system. A professionally installed system operates crazy smooth and with no issues.

Here's a thought often overlooked. The Parson Green style systems,for any maintenance or adjusting require removing the 2nd string ( the B String) and removing the entire unit from the body. Don't get me wrong I have had several Fender PG guitars, liked them all. They performed just fine. The guitars with these systems do add weight, maybe 2 lbs or so. Just be aware.

The Glaser and the Parsons White style ( FL Jr, Matney etc) are built into the body, reversed from the "drop in" PG system. To make any adjustments or maintenance, you just remove the cover, not the unit. The B string stays in tact. This may not seem like much right now, but down the road it may. These systems can have spring tension adjustments and throw adjustments performed by just removing the cover.

A huge plus for the Glaser system is that it can be changed from the B to the G just by moving or flipping the saddle. THATS BIG !

Plug for my buddy Forrest Lee jr, he is licensed to install Glaser systems as well as his own. He and Joe Glaser are good friends . FL jr for his system he removes about 1 lb of wood and his bender components weigh about 1 lb. Both of the systems include a special custom saddle as well.

My own thoughts: I own guitars with both systems, The typical standard stap pull system ( FL Jr system) and the Glaser system pulled off the neck plate. The only real difference is how the guitar hangs on the strap. To me, the guitar with the Glaser system feels like it is falling forward while the standard strap pull location system (FL jr) feels more normal. Obviously this is a very minor thing as once you play the Glaser system it becomes normal. Regarding action and pull, I can't tell any difference. The guitars weigh the same so that's not an issue. And to me they play exactly the same as well. One PLUS on the FL jr ( Parson White style) you can change springs , throw and tension in moments, if that is important.

over and out

Mouth likes this.
  7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Ouch, I paid $280. A Forrest Lee Jr install is listed at $685.

36FE373B-8AEB-4DA6-A892-E8D6FCAB769E.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    T Prior likes this.
  8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

That's Forrest LEE jr. I love the add for the Hipshot, with the cancer caution ! Who knew ! :(

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I have a Fender neck and some nocasters, add the Bender kit for $200, What will he’s rest of the build run?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.