1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm Defecting.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Mar 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Drumming:

To produce a booming, reverberating sound by beating the wings, as certain birds do.

2. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

So could Stewart.

3. Toto'sDad

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Very cool to start drumming. I've been thinking about it too. It was my first instrument in grade school before I went towards guitar. I've been watching this video a lot lately. I've never been a big Tool fan but this drumming blows me away. It's a long video but worth watching, I love his style. It gets real interesting around 6:20

5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Folks like to pick on drummers, but there are two things in a band that an audience will find impossible to ignore:

1) A bad singer
    2) A bad drummer

Any time you start to think playing the drums is easy, put on the simplest rock music you can think of...like AC/DC or the Ramones.

Now play along with it. Not just pieces of songs for 5 miuntes, an entire record. Without stopping.

You'll gain new respect for the work drummers put in.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    farmcaster likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Imagine if you will. A man tied to a post, and not one, but ten drummers playing without end or mercy as he withers in pain. Is there any information that he would not willingly divulge about ANYONE? Jack Bauer often used nine of his clones in this fashion, NO ONE ever failed to divulge his darkest secrets. The clones went too far one day though, and Jack said SHUT UP NOW, they didn't and well.... Jack no longer has clones.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I always wanted to be a drummer.......

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Ive been toying around with drums for years.

Years ago, my good buddy, roomy and bandmate and I shared a house where he left his drum set up in the living room.

At that time, I learned to play them a bit.

25 years ago I started multi-track recording original songs (and covers for backing tracks) and bought a lot of percussion instruments to add to the mix.

Maracas/shakers, congas, gyro, cajon, etc.

Naturally, I had to learn to play the in a rudimentary manner.

I still use them occasionally for the few recordings I still make; or for jams with friends.

I really only use a stomp pedal in my live shows, now.

Flip G likes this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

This is obviously a "cry for help".

Please stand bye, we are working on getting the appropriate health professionals to you ASAP.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  10. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I truly fail to understand why it is that anytime anyone on this forums says the slightest thing about drums, drummers, or drumming, that 70% of the responses are the same moronic "jokes" about drummers. We've all heard 'em. They're not even mildly amusing. They weren't funny 50 years ago. Is it jealousy? Ignorance?

Without drummers you'd all be a bunch of lame so-called "singer-songwriters". That is, if you even gig...

I've played shows since I was 13 or 14 as a drummer and as a guitarist. I've been to 1000's of gigs. I can't think of ONE where the drummer ruined everything, even the most neophyte bands I've seen/heard. Really, I can't.

ElJay370, Flip G and farmcaster like this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I admire your initiative!

Before I retired I grouped up with a couple students from the school band, and we played in my room weekly, early in the mornings. We did a five-song set onstage once, in the auditorium during the poetry slam. It was Big Time fun!

The drummer from that group works now at a local tire store. We've talked about getting something together after the you-know-what situation settles out. I hope that happens. If it does I think we can locate the bass guy too.

Flip G likes this.
  12. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Couldn't agree more.

13. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Drums and piano I feel actually enhance a guitar players guitar playing. Drums will really help lock in your sense of timing, piano does that in addition to improving your ear and theory understanding.

14. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Drums would be cool to play around with but I don't have the space or the soundproofing for a practical drum area.
    I'll go as far as fiddling with the Modern 808 sequencer in GarageBand.

15. Toto'sDad

Go ahead and buy you a kit! It can't be all that hard, I see little kids playing drums. (playing, beating, pounding):D

Fretting out likes this.
  16. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I have drums, but hardly ever play anymore. However I am certain that learning to play drums made me a much better guitar player.

17. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Always been jealous of drummers. They get to take out their daily frustrations in such a constructive way.

I am on the lookout for a drum kit as we've recently moved and I now have a dedicated 'music room' soon to be a full fledged studio. Not that I can carry a beat or swing a damn shuffle, but all in due time.

18. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Drumming is great fun. I didn't have to defect tho. I started sitting behind the kit during practice breaks with the band. I was 13 but didn't gig as a drummer until I was 50 :rolleyes:. And that was coz I offered to play for a guitar student of mine that became one of the better Neil Young tribute bands in my area.

But I enjoyed every minute of learning on the breaks. I did get a set in my late 20s but couldn't keep it, money being hard to come by in those days.

By the time I had kids my wife and I bought a kit for my 10 yr old son. We did Wipeout at a school talent show. He was a natural. Cemented his cred all the way through High school.

I practiced on that until I got my set of Yamaha DTX electric set. Now I just record stuff I write and I can do all the rhythm section stuff myself. Great fun. No backing tracks for me.

You're still young too. Lotsa time to catch up to your guitar playing. But no matter, have a great time.

(if you're interested, you can hear my efforts on my soundcloud acct shown below)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.