1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm Defecting.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Mar 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Have had mostly fine experiences with drummers, except in the first band ...... we'd do Wipeout, and he'd speed up and slow down, repeat.....was painful, but, hey, we were kids, and all.

2. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It is only defecting if you get rid of your guitars...do NOT get rid of your guitars ;)
    I was sneaky about my double life with the drums, bought a kit for my son. ;)
    I have probably used them more than he has. I have also played Alto Sax and Piano over the years.

drums.jpg

erratick and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Of course, Bernard Purdie! The BB King album "Completely Well" was the first record where I went "Wow, who is playing drums on that?"

One of those internal midi roll guys A very tragic cat but what a player. Check out the drum track on BJ Stevenson's "My Maria" or Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown. The guy was "the pocket" on two legs:

Very fun and wacky video with Bobby Whitlock talking about working with Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner plus Don Johnson, Michal Parks and Edward James Olmos

elihu likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

So your “I’m with the band” shirt has to say “drummer” on the back now.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

facepalm-meme-uss-arizona-scale-meme.jpg

6. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

As a native drummer, meaning that’s the only instrument I actually know how to play well, congratulations! Don’t get frustrated. Practice step by step. Sloooow it down at First.

Drumming taught me patience, concentration, serving the band and being the „goalie“.
    Nothing let’s you forget troubles as easily as playing your drums for a while.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have a kit set up in the basement and really enjoyed trying to learn to play. There are so many bad drummers that when you run into a good drummer, it's like the desert blooming after a sudden rain. A good drummer is so musical: a good drummer pulls everything together in a magical way.

I learned a lot from playing the drums and I still now and then look at electronic kits: get one of those and practice quietly when the family is sleeping....

erratick and farmcaster like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I am too! I often check TDPRI when I'm on the throne.....oh wait, you said DEFECTING. Sorry.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I play drums and bass way better than guitar lol. Seriously, if you get enjoyment out of it, go for it I say.

erratick likes this.
  10. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

The drummer is the engine pushing the bus down the road. The bass player steers the bloody bus. The “lead” player is the one who knows the song backwards and forwards, and carries the band through the song (with ir without a solo). He/she is the navigator.
    The rest of the band are passengers.

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

agree 100%. i've even been in 3 different long-term duos with just drummers. if you can wrangle solo guitar fairly well, and know how to construct basslines like an actual bass player, i don't even think bass is essential for certain types of music. part of the reason i've always wanted a baritone or a seven string.

that hasn't been my experience at all. every band i've been in except for the first one in middle school, the drummers have had their stuff together musically more than anyone in the band. when i'm writing for a group, it's basically me and the drummer laying it all out, and then everyone else comes in later and does their part. but then again, the first thing i choose for a project is a drummer.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Jowes_84 likes this.
  12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

IMG_2191.PNG
    Oh! I thought you meant the real dark side!!!

13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I've defective. I've always thought of the drummer as the heartbeat of the band. A good one is worth his weight in gold.

Oh, and here's a great song by a drummer, called The Pilgrim:

Count out the main body. Fun in 7/8.

Bob

14. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I always wanted to play drums but I don't know a drummer who grew up in an apartment like I did. I never even asked for drums 'cause I knew it was never gonna happen.

Later I did get Roland V drums for my kid and I probably played them more than he did. Had to sell them to get more space though.

15. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I have 3-7/4 drum kits. My drummer even uses one of my sets when we are forced onto tiny stages.
    D8CE161F-0891-456E-A317-6A70A305D5C6.jpeg
    This set packs into a hockey bag and a baseball bag.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I read the thread title as something else. I thought you were bragging about having a bowel movement. After reading your post, maybe it would have been better if I had been right the first time! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ale.istotle likes this.
  17. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

That is a gorgeous kit!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Have fun, OP. Here's a good beginner lesson for you:

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I could be wrong on this,
    but I'm pretty sure that this Rogers kit has been a quest over years for my buddy to find ( thru CL, FB, dealers/shops) to put together this period correct, matching kit.

In other words he did not get all the drums together- he just bought a la carte, and it took years. I know he loves it!

He has other vintage Gretsch, Ludwig, and possibly Slingerland kits.

Hell of a drummer too- we play old fart '60's R&R/ R&B, blues, Country- he just knows this music

farmcaster likes this.
  20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I could never figure out what would make someone want to give up music and take up drums. LOL

3fngrs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.